Autopsy Smashed in the middle no worries brutal 14pt win against the Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a bit of a cop out IMO. He just didn't need to do it. Like I said, he more than made up for it and was easily BOG and the difference last night so fair play to him, but I don't think his reckless enthusiasm with necessarily means he needs to argue with the umpire when a decision goes against him.

I disagree with the comparison you've made to Errol, because there's huge upside with him taking those risky kicks. There's never any upside with arguing with the umpires.
but thats not true. we have had goals kicked against us reasonably often where errol has turned the ball over trying to square the ball into the corridor. its just that he probably generates 3 or 4 for every 1 you concede.

if you look at chad hes pointing not through anger or frustration but hes laughing - its not like hes going off hes just like a puppy wanting to chase the shiny toy. and he wasnt arguing. he was simply pointing at the replay

Look, I get it. I was pissed off with the free kick too, and like I said Chad more than made up for the 50m penalty. But I don't think we'd be quite as forgiving of a player for giving away 50m because they're pissed off about an incorrect decision if the game is on the line and the opposition has a a shot on goal that they're every chance of missing.
but thats not true. we have had goals kicked against us reasonably often where errol has turned the ball over trying to square the ball into the corridor. its just that he probably generates 3 or 4 for every 1 you concede.
That's what I mean by upside. It's a calculated risk. The difference between that and arguing with the umpires is that there's no upside, but there absolutely is downside.
if you look at chad hes pointing not through anger or frustration but hes laughing - its not like hes going off hes just like a puppy wanting to chase the shiny toy. and he wasnt arguing. he was simply pointing at the replay
It's still dissent. Pointing at the screen is 50 metres and has been for a few years now. There's no need to do it, the umpire isn't going to change their mind.

Last edited:
That was an away win and they don’t come easily.

Oddly we have been blessed in the first half of the season with a few injuries yet during preseason we lost Mills, Parker and Adams.

Dogs were brave like a lot of our opponents this year. Apparently turning up and playing is brave.

Umpiring was poor.

Warner lifted us to the win.

Campbell seems not up to it at AFL level at the moment.

AFL media are battling with the Swans performances. Now it’s a case of we’ve won too many games.
Totally agree about the umpiring. Quite a few technical things. They allowed way too much time before calling play on. So much grabbing and scragging much of which should have been penalised. And head highs. Not to mention the clever "handballs".

I don’t get the negativity and the subdued atmosphere in here. That was great! You can’t win every game by 30+ points. We were well down on our usual output across the ground, the midfield got smashed, it was comfortably our second worst performance of the season, yet we still won and it wasn’t even that close (though that McLean 50 did seem dodgy). We were challenged and, yes, we had a bit of luck, but we got through it with a win and no injuries. It will only help the confidence to know you can win even when not playing well.

I thought Blakey had an underrated game. He was always in the right spot spoiling everything. Melican and Rampe were also great. Francis wasn’t, but I thought he kinda worked into it in the third and we actually suffered once he went off. Roberts wasn’t really up to it once again. Hayward and Wicks didn’t see a lot of the ball, but both did fantastically well in the few instances they got involved. I thought Campbell was fine in the second half.

Adams was quite poor I thought. Jordon was well below the standards he set in the last couple of weeks. Grundy did some good things, but just didn’t feel as effective as usual. Heeney had a mediocre game by his standards, though that goal from the side was clutch. McLean was good, Amartey mediocre after a fantastic start. Chad was imperious after Richards went off.
?

I mean, Warner ripped vandermeer’s head off, so can’t exactly say it wasn’t a free. 50 was soft though, but players know you can’t point at the replay.

Yes correct you can't point at the screen, but unless you mean the head of his dick, than it was just a great tackle and clearly htb.

I realise the dogs didn't get called for HTB all night, but thanks for coming by to talk complete nonsense.

Bar a dumb patch at the end and doggies spirit we roll them by 50

we should have held more once 30 up. Longmire won't enjoy the last 10 mins but we also learn a bit in those moments .

Better to win ugly than lose like the tigers game .

I mean, Warner ripped vandermeer’s head off, so can’t exactly say it wasn’t a free. 50 was soft though, but players know you can’t point at the replay.
Even if there was high contact, which there doesn't appear to be from the angle we have (maybe the angle on the opposite side would show something), Vandermeer dropped his knees and shoulders. It was a perfect tackle from Warner and a poor decision from the umpire.

VDM completely upright charging towards goal:
Screenshot_20240524_145718_Gallery.jpg

Senses contact and lowers his body:
Screenshot_20240524_145725_Gallery.jpg

No point us dwelling on it though, there was some bewildering decisions and non-decisions both ways last night.

Apologies for the large images, I have issues reducing their size on here on mobile.

Even if there was high contact, which there doesn't appear to be from the angle we have (maybe the angle on the opposite side would show something), Vandermeer dropped his knees and shoulders. It was a perfect tackle from Warner and a poor decision from the umpire.

VDM completely upright charging towards goal:
View attachment 1998881

Senses contact and lowers his body:
View attachment 1998882

No point us dwelling on it though, there was some bewildering decisions and non-decisions both ways last night.

Apologies for the large images, I have issues reducing their size on here on mobile.

Wow chad moves quick, basically everyone else moves a small teeny bit in the two images except chad .

he is so quick he appears in the corner while tackling

I don’t get the negativity and the subdued atmosphere in here. That was great! You can’t win every game by 30+ points. We were well down on our usual output across the ground, the midfield got smashed, it was comfortably our second worst performance of the season, yet we still won and it wasn’t even that close (though that McLean 50 did seem dodgy). We were challenged and, yes, we had a bit of luck, but we got through it with a win and no injuries. It will only help the confidence to know you can win even when not playing well.

I thought Blakey had an underrated game. He was always in the right spot spoiling everything. Melican and Rampe were also great. Francis wasn’t, but I thought he kinda worked into it in the third and we actually suffered once he went off. Roberts wasn’t really up to it once again. Hayward and Wicks didn’t see a lot of the ball, but both did fantastically well in the few instances they got involved. I thought Campbell was fine in the second half.

Adams was quite poor I thought. Jordon was well below the standards he set in the last couple of weeks. Grundy did some good things, but just didn’t feel as effective as usual. Heeney had a mediocre game by his standards, though that goal from the side was clutch. McLean was good, Amartey mediocre after a fantastic start. Chad was imperious after Richards went off.
Regarding Jordon I picked up from the presser that he got moved around during the game. But I agree he was not at his best.

Regarding Jordon I picked up from the presser that he got moved around during the game. But I agree he was not at his best.
Guessing he spent the week preparing for the Dale match-up then was asked to swap to Richards on the fly and then back to Dale once Richards went down. Wouldn't be easy to do when you're playing a tagging role which requires you to be prepared for how your opponent is going to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha what? It wasn't high in any sense of the term. He got him on the shoulder. Ripped his head off??

i think rowbottom can easily be replaced by mills or adams when it comes to it.

hes vital because hes the defensive cog that allows others to go forwards and run off him. but hes not the only player on the list that can be that disciplined
Not sure I share that view. I don't think there's a player in the comp who can do what he does, let alone on our list.

My thoughts about last night and in general, especially with some of the negativity. I'm finding the negativity confusing. We are 10-1 with our only loss being by 5 points. We have a structure that's built around not relying on any single player. To a point when we have a game like last night when we have players not playing their best we can work around it and find ways to work.

We have built up our offense so it's a team structure, not a key forward structure. We've had games where the three talls have fired, and then games like last night where they weren't necessarily on but got the ball to the right players. It's a structure that's not only working but each week gelling better.

So let's stop complaining about the structure and enjoy how much it's actually working and teams can't work around it. The fact is, we're not 4-7 and only scoring 4 goals a game. Our talls are decoys at time and I love it. Horse has found a way to make it work and I'll give him credit for that as I used to give him little

We had no right to win last night and we did. That's what good teams do, find ways to win. Yes we have lots of room to improve, but that's what's scary. Let's enjoy the week off, and more importantly, the fact that when we face Geelong, we'll still be top of the ladder.

our talls also provide targets all over the field, pretty much anywhere outside our defensive 50 ... amartey was drifting wide at times, pulling defenders out of the middle of our forward 50, mcdonald was right up the ground at various times in the second half, and mclean's ruck duties have him available as a link everywhere
this must create confusion among opposition defences, and a classic example of that was mcdonald's brilliant long pass to a loose warner just outside the goal square ...
you can see on the replay mcdonald takes the mark outside 50 and takes one step, and is called to play on ... yet he still has so much time because not one dogs player moves toward him, but a bunch of them flood back into their defensive 50 ... and mcdonald uses that time to weigh options and eventually sees warner drifting forward behind that loose group of dogs players ...
it's very interesting vision, because to me it shows that at that point they're rattled and pretty much panicking as our run game picks up in that third term, they're sort of treading water and playing reactively, yet still no one picks up warner

Vandermeer is a little bitch boy diver with no neck. Quack quack western bullduck, piss off back to your nest with the big fat L.

I'd say Cripps/Butters have had better years than Errol so far, yeah.
dunno about cripps, i don't think he's been the same dominant player of recent seasons, arguably walsh has been as effective for carlton
the suns' rowell or anderson, maybe ... although both have been up and down
petracca
harley reid?

you can have all the rest ... i'd pick heeney, warner, gulden and rowbottom first four ...

Last edited:
i think rowbottom can easily be replaced by mills or adams when it comes to it.

hes vital because hes the defensive cog that allows others to go forwards and run off him. but hes not the only player on the list that can be that disciplined

no, that's wrong ... rowbottom is irreplaceable

I don't go to many games anymore, but every time I do I get reminded as to why I much prefer watching on tv.

What is it with older dudes who just do not shut up at the football?!

'Go Ryles! Good use .... Bont, best player in the comp! Show them why .... ohhhhhh come on ..... 50! ......He's having a good yea, Isn't he?!..... Look at naughts? Is he injured? Did his knee? What happened? Ohhhh, he did his knee .... look at him'.

OMG! Shut the f up you losers.

Great post. I have the telly on mute and can concentrate on the footy. I can no longer attend games but if I did would love to put the crowd on mute.

dunno about cripps, i don't think he's been the same dominant player of recent seasons, arguably walsh has been as effective for carlton
the suns' rowsell or anderson, maybe ... although both have been up and down
petracca
harley reid?

you can have all the rest ... i'd pick heeney, warner, gulden and rowbottom first four ...

I wouldn't include Petracca, think he's been pretty poor as a mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back