48 Chad Warner (SYD)
46 Max Gawn (MELB)
43 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
43 Zak Butters (PORT)
42 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
42 Jordan Dawson (ADEL)
40 Errol Gulden (SYD)
JUH they are kidding , Richards was better in a half

I also shook my head when I read those. I too would have Richards and Jones as their best two. Treloar? Really?

I actually would have given my five votes to Errol rather than Chad. I suspect I'm in a minority, but Chad played one fantastic quarter and just mosied around for the other three. Not bad but nothing special. Errol was excellent for the whole game, and it was his outstanding kicking that kept us about level with the Dogs in the first half.

Had Richards not been injured he would’ve had 10, however it’s hard to give a player coaches votes when they only play a half.

Had Richards not been injured he would’ve had 10, however it’s hard to give a player coaches votes when they only play a half.
Not if he hadn't stopped Chad's third quarter. He was highly productive and quite impactful in his time on the ground, but nothing close to Chad's match-winning cameo. And while he didn't have as many possessions as Richards, Errol was individually more impactful than Richards in the first half because his high-risk kicking was so immaculate.

Good write up Nool , question though , why do we call it a contest and not a match anymore ?

You are very set on these unofficial terms and their place in the games vocab

If Mills was fit he would have gotten 10

COACHES VOTES

10 Chad Warner (SYD)

7 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
6 Errol Gulden (SYD)
3 Adam Treloar (WB)
2 Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (WB)
2 Liam Jones (WB)

Chad moved up to 5th

71 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
59 Nick Daicos (COLL)
55 Caleb Serong (FRE)
50 Zach Merrett (ESS)
48 Chad Warner (SYD)
46 Max Gawn (MELB)
43 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
43 Zak Butters (PORT)
42 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
42 Jordan Dawson (ADEL)
40 Errol Gulden (SYD)

Horse is trolling us with those votes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also shook my head when I read those. I too would have Richards and Jones as their best two. Treloar? Really?

I actually would have given my five votes to Errol rather than Chad. I suspect I'm in a minority, but Chad played one fantastic quarter and just mosied around for the other three. Not bad but nothing special. Errol was excellent for the whole game, and it was his outstanding kicking that kept us about level with the Dogs in the first half.

I think Warner was a matchwinner so I get the 5 votes, but yes the case for Errol as our best all day is very telling. Will be interesting best and fairest night

I think the issue with coaches votes is that the coach only has five to give out. Unless the game was a one-sided affair, there's likely gonna be players from both teams receiving votes. It just doesn't give them much wiggle room for nuance, and by the time you've gone through both teams it's hard to have those conversations we're having above like Gulden vs Warner, Richards vs Treloar. So by default the stats sheet tends to win out.

I still think it's much better than the Brownlow, as it's voted on by informed parties. But I also wouldn't be surprised if in the B&F - where there's no limit on the distribution of votes across the players, allowing more nuanced voting - guys like Grundy, McInerney etc. probably poll just as many votes as Warner & Gulden do for this game.

I think the issue with coaches votes is that the coach only has five to give out. Unless the game was a one-sided affair, there's likely gonna be players from both teams receiving votes. It just doesn't give them much wiggle room for nuance, and by the time you've gone through both teams it's hard to have those conversations we're having above like Gulden vs Warner, Richards vs Treloar. So by default the stats sheet tends to win out.

I still think it's much better than the Brownlow, as it's voted on by informed parties. But I also wouldn't be surprised if in the B&F - where there's no limit on the distribution of votes across the players, allowing more nuanced voting - guys like Grundy, McInerney etc. probably poll just as many votes as Warner & Gulden do for this game.
I thought Melican was good again

I really enjoy these posts the Swans have been doing.

It is also why I simply won't entertain any media about us - no matter how glowing - if all it mentions is Heeney & Warner.

Plays made by others here lead directly to three of Warner's four goals.

These sorts of plays happening - often built on effort & work rate - are the number one reason we are the best team this year, and should be the things any glowing appraisal of our season should begin with.

And FWIW my favourite of those plays is the McLean tackle. Yes he gets a lot of help from McInerney to land the final blow, but he reaches an arm out and manages to grab the opponent's jumper. It's an act of desperation that he somehow manages to make look casual, and I feel like that sums him up as a player and why I like him so much.

I really enjoy these posts the Swans have been doing.

It is also why I simply won't entertain any media about us - no matter how glowing - if all it mentions is Heeney & Warner.

Plays made by others here lead directly to three of Warner's four goals.

These sorts of plays happening - often built on effort & work rate - are the number one reason we are the best team this year, and should be the things any glowing appraisal of our season should begin with.

Just watched on Insta how good

Remove this Banner Ad

Back