Roast Soccer host angry at AFL twitter

Remove this Banner Ad

Soccer is filled with people in the game and the media in Australia that have the culture of the squeekiest wheel gets the most oil.

They simply can fathom why their sooking and moaning doesn't work in this aspect of their life, like it probably does in all others. They therefore get increasingly upset at the competitors that are killing it for crowds, tv money, membership, media exposure etc. Most notably, Australian football and the Australian football league (AFL).

Also, who let the troll db26 in?

AFL were petty dickheads releasing fixture stuff during Argentina game, but the paranoia from soccer folk towards the big bad AFL and somehow it’s stopping the a-league from getting off the ground it’s simply not true.

Soccer has massive participation figures, more than AFL, yet AFL way more popular a domestic competition than the a league, it’s not even on at the same time of year.

This is the thing for me.

Crowd misbehaviour at AFL games definitely exists....but it is almost always individual drunk dickheads who get mouthy and punchy after sinking one too many.

Whereas soccer seems to have organised groups of thugs and troublemakers, who seem to intentionally turn up with the explicit purpose of being aggro and causing problems.

Bingo, there is the difference soccer has these organized wannabe hardcore groups of ultras or whatever the * they want to be called.

No other sport in Australia has such groups.

No. The penalties may be there, but they aren't having any effect. Having watched a fair bit of the WC, the first thing that struck me was how often players went down as if seemingly on death's door, only to make a miracle recovery within a minute or two.

The point is, the "beautiful game" tag gets thrown around, but that is countered by a number of ugly aspects. I've pointed out one in "near death simulation", which happens regularly.

Another, which isn't tolerated in other football codes in this country, is the appalling attitude by players towards referees, from openly questioning decisions to dissent to outright intimidation - physical and verbal.

And then, of course, is the matter of crowd misbehaviour, which has been an issue for as long as I can remember, be it locally or overseas, which is often racially and/or ethnically driven.

The problem is that soccer is so convinced of its own infallibility as a game that it simply won't address what are obvious stains on it. The things I have pointed out here aren't new, and yet they are still happening.

And when these legitimate criticisms are pointed out to soccer fans, all that happens is deflection, which is exactly what you are doing. Instead of taking the criticisms on the chin and acknowledging that things have to be done, instead you have a continual insistence of playing "look over there".

If it's not that, it's soccer types displaying paranoia about the AFL and complete insecurity about their own game in the process. Foster, for all his great recent humanitarian work, did it for years. At times he seemed on the verge of tears when it came to the big, bad AFL. Look at Zelic. Just couldn't handle seeing a visiting soccer player photographed holding an AFL football.

And this really sums up why soccer finds itself in the position it is in this country, unable to progress. Inability to accept criticism. Insecurity about itself. Blaming its position on other sports. Refusal to correct its failings (how long has soccer known about these cancerous "fans"?). No capacity to look inward and improve. Having a chip on its collective shoulder about not holding its rightful place as the #1 sport.

I guess to summarize, soccer in this country seems to have zero capacity to hold a mirror up to itself, have a look and say "how can we improve?", without instead looking for scapegoats and excuses.

And let's not forget the insistence on telling supporters of other codes, who happily refer to their game as "football", that, no, you have to call the world game "football". Why? "Because we told you to, that's why". In doing so of course, completely ignoring the fact that Association Football is just one of many codes of football played worldwide - Gaelic Football, Rugby League Football, Australian Football, Canadian Football, American Football, Rugby Union Football and so on. You don't win new fans to a sport by dictating to them. You've done it yourself in this very discussion too.

FFS, if people want to call the game soccer, then let them. It's not some slur on the game - I mean, we still have a national side called the "Socceroos" (or would you have them called the "Footballroos" now?). I've called it soccer all my life and the more you try to tell me not to, the more you will turn me off your game.

I don't mind soccer, I go back to regularly watching UK soccer programmes (The Big Match) in the 70s and following the Socceroos 1974 World Cup campaign (qualifying back in the days to a 16 team finals series). But my interest over the years has waned, not the least because of the issues I raise above. Despite all that, I still watched the Australian team in the recent World Cup with a great degree of interest.

However, football wise, I'm still overwhelmingly an AFL supporter. I wish no ill on soccer, but as an AFL fan I am more than happy for the soccer to keep going the way its going because I know if it does, it will remain stagnant and never be a threat to the main football code that I love.
Brilliant post mate.

AFL were petty dickheads releasing fixture stuff during Argentina game, but the paranoia from soccer folk towards the big bad AFL and somehow it’s stopping the a-league from getting off the ground it’s simply not true.

Soccer has massive participation figures, more than AFL, yet AFL way more popular a domestic competition than the a league, it’s not even on at the same time of year.

Participation means f* all when it's a non contact sport and super easy to organise and play. I'm sure it's the most participated in the U.S too, but nobody takes it seriously there either past the age of 12.

Bingo, there is the difference soccer has these organized wannabe hardcore groups of ultras or whatever the * they want to be called.

No other sport in Australia has such groups.
Richmond and Collingwood aren't far off, and 20 years of Carlton being rubbish have sedated their fan base which has no shortage of potential.

Wander through the Punt Road end at a big Tigers game and there's plenty of aggressive drunken behaviour that consistently threatens to spill over. Same goes for the Pies at the Ponsford end.

But it is interesting the smaller numbers and bigger self importance seems to have taken the soccer hooligans over the line more often. What they lack in numbers they make up for in hyper aggressive attitudes.

Why were they petty?

The AFL don't have to give a rat's about what soccer is doing.

If releasing a fixture can detract from a soccer game then that suggests the soccer game interest is easily trumped.

And aren’t soccer voices still still bellyaching about the afl during the hosting bid embarrassed how the rules were changed for Qatar?
Yeah, and considering the process was clearly about who paid the biggest bribes, we still get soccer people complaining about the AFL's incredibly minimal role (or non-role). As always, blame AFL instead of acknowledging one of the big problems with international soccer (bribery).

There are major problems with soccer (and also with other sports). But when was the last time you saw the AFL blame their problems on some other sport? The AFL played second fiddle to cricket at the Gabba for decades, but there were never any complaints to the media by the AFL or blame of cricket, it's just the way it was.

Why were they petty?

The AFL don't have to give a rat's about what soccer is doing.

If releasing a fixture can detract from a soccer game then that suggests the soccer game interest is easily trumped.
It was clearly petty, wasnt it like early Sunday morning? I'm pretty sure I remember the fixture always being released on a Monday? (Could be wrong)

It was clearly petty, wasnt it like early Sunday morning? I'm pretty sure I remember the fixture always being released on a Monday? (Could be wrong)

Yeah releasing a fixture at 6am on a Sunday morning was a weird choice, it was never going to distract from people who were already up watching the soccer or make the news cycle in a positive way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you’re of the belief that extending olive branches is a good thing for Australian football codes to do, then you’re right.

Much as I’m in favour of the practice, I don’t think any football code in Australia is interested in adopting it any time soon, so I find the AFL’s decision unremarkable.

Mate this World Cup has had little simulation and referees a on to it can it get better offcourse .How many cheap free kicks we see in footy happens in all sport.

Atleast players can question referees appropriately have look at footy players get penalised for questioning umpires and even coaches a silenced laughable.

Don't give the racially tag because it's happening in footy regularly to our our indigenous community.
I love how you've just ignored most of his post.

Also ignored my post calling you out on your shitty behaviour with with the word "soccer/football".

Really fitting in with that mould of deflecting and ignoring any criticism towards Soccer.

Failry oversensitive with the chip on her shoulder. We tend to get this whenever a World Cup rolls around. The USA who will host the next event also have a tiny little league of their own and that league won't give two hoots either and will go about their own business as usual. People of a certain mindset have always held ill will toward whichever huge backside is occupying the Australian sporting equivalent of the Iron Throne. Unless Zelic has three Dragons we don't know about the AFL won't be at all worried to much just months after signing thier $4.5 billion TV deal.

You ever met someone who seemingly can't help but one-up you all the time during any conversation? If you mention in passing that you took taekwondo, they're a black belt in aikido. If you just bought a car, they bought a time machine. If you like the AFL, they will tell you iincessantly Soccer is the World game, AFL is a little league. There's a certain mind-numbing awfulness of being reminded constantly that someone is into something you couldn't give two sh*ts about and gives you nothing but grief for liking something else a little bit more.

I like the Soccer, but i don't let it rule my life emotionally and go jumping on buses!

To say it was pretty suggests that fixture release was of little importance.

Which of course is false as the fixture is a highly discussed area of the game.

Sunday seems like a much better time to release it as it gives people and news outlets more time to discuss it and have articles prepared for the new week.

Sunday seems like a much better time to release it as it gives people and news outlets more time to discuss it and have articles prepared for the new week.
Sunday at 6am?

What other "highly important" releases are made on Sunday at 6am on the one day when it didn't actually make the number 1 Sport headline that day?

What PR company, when asked about the best time to release something would say "Sunday 6am will give you the best bang for buck, you're just competing against church and Songs of Praise"?

Sunday 6am is when you announce to the world that you're sorry that you led a dog-fighting ring, not when you announce something of High importance.

It was set in stone weeks out Auld said and that was even communicated to news corp to release on the Sunday even before the socceroos advanced to the next round.

Then of course news corp with their headquarters in Sydney ran with the 'AFL pathetic fixture release' headlines to get all the northerners wound up with their usual anti AFL rhetoric, leaving out the fact they were in on it themselves all along. Then when Auld explained it in a press conference, news.com.au didn't run with the explanation, but instead with the headline 'AFL say 'it is what it is' over pathetic fixture release'.

I'm telling you people, if you haven't picked up the intentional anti AFL rhetoric that has halted the AFL advances into the northern states significantly by the sydney media, then you were likely born yesterday. It even states in a book I've read on this topic, that it all started back around 2006, when the AFL announced they were moving into GC and GWS, there was an intentional media campaign to paint it as an 'invasion', 'code wars', 'AFL stopped Australia getting the world cup (which the NRL did the exact same but that was never mentioned) and it has been happening ever since. It's the biggest thing holding back the code advancing into NSW and QLD and unfortunately it has been successful. Anti AFL sentiment from soccer and league fans is through the roof, because they have been brainwashed with sensationalist headlines for 15 years about the AFL wanting to kill off the sports they grew up following.

Last edited:
Sunday at 6am?

What other "highly important" releases are made on Sunday at 6am on the one day when it didn't actually make the number 1 Sport headline that day?

What PR company, when asked about the best time to release something would say "Sunday 6am will give you the best bang for buck, you're just competing against church and Songs of Praise"?

Sunday 6am is when you announce to the world that you're sorry that you led a dog-fighting ring, not when you announce something of High importance.

Good as time as any to release.

If it's able to be released at that time then it was all prepared way before that moment.

I actually hope it was to * soccer over.

Why give that sport a clear run at it when they are competitors for kids to take up a sport.

It was set in stone weeks out Auld said and that was even communicated to news corp to release on the Sunday even before the socceroos advanced to the next round.

Then of course news corp with their headquarters in Sydney ran with the 'AFL pathetic fixture release' headlines to get all the northerners wound up with their usual anti AFL rhetoric, leaving out the fact they were in on it themselves all along. Then when Auld explained it in a press conference, news.com.au didn't run with the explanation, but instead with the headline 'AFL say 'it is what it is' over pathetic fixture release'.

I'm telling you people, if you haven't picked up the intentional anti AFL rhetoric that has halted the AFL advances into the northern states significantly by the sydney media, then you were likely born yesterday. It even states in my book on this topic, that it all started back around 2006, when the AFL announced they were moving into GC and GWS, there was an intentional media campaign to paint it as an 'invasion', 'code wars', 'AFL stopped Australia getting the world cup (which the NRL did the exact same but that was never mentioned) and it has been happening ever since. It's the biggest thing holding back the code advancing into NSW and QLD and unfortunately it has been successful. Anti AFL sentiment from soccer and league fans is through the roof, because they have been brainwashed with sensationalist headlines for 15 years about the AFL wanting to kill off the sports they grew up following.

I think you're referring to this

An excerpt: Travis Auld said.

“The reality is on that, for as long as I’ve been at the AFL and probably well before that, we’ve always released Round 1 of the fixture to News Limited on the Sunday.

“That’s been organised a long time out.

I think you're referring to this

An excerpt: Travis Auld said.

“The reality is on that, for as long as I’ve been at the AFL and probably well before that, we’ve always released Round 1 of the fixture to News Limited on the Sunday.

“That’s been organised a long time out.

Yep, all this crap runs on news.com.au too, which is the most visited Australian website on the internet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back