Roast Soccer host angry at AFL twitter

Remove this Banner Ad

I've noticed this from the ABC as well, which is disgraceful considering it should be promoting Australian culture first and foremost.
Eh like everything they follow where the most eyeballs are, so they'll promote NSW culture first and foremost.

See people like Betoota Advocate who while producing good content, gleefully call AFL - the racist Victorian football, which while I can see where they're coming from if I was looking at it from the uninitiated perspective, it's still a frustratingly broad brush to paint us all with.

Eh like everything they follow where the most eyeballs are, so they'll promote NSW culture first and foremost.

See people like Betoota Advocate who while producing good content, gleefully call AFL - the racist Victorian football, which while I can see where they're coming from if I was looking at it from the uninitiated perspective, it's still a frustratingly broad brush to paint us all with.

I can't stand those losers, I unliked them after seeing all their bias preaching. The most eyeballs are on the biggest sport in the country, that's why, it's the biggest sport in the country.

Any country with it's own football code, which is the biggest football code in the country should have the exclusive rights to be called football. It's common sense, as seen in a little country called the United States and Ireland etc.

Just a reminder to the soccer knobs:
  • the AFL tv deal is 10x the amount of the Australian soccer tv deal.
  • Attendances 4x the amount.
  • club memberships, approximately 10x the amount.
  • sponsorship would be at a minimum double the amount, probably much higher.
  • participation the only one where soccer gives good numbers, but again it's non contact and easy to play. Plus Australian football still has the highest amount of club participants out of any sport in W.A, S.A, Victoria. There are now nearly as many club participants in Australian football as rugby league in NSW and QLD.
  • the AFL makes more revenue annually than the A league, NRL and Rugby Australia combined. Wait till the new tv deal kicks in 2025, it will widen even more.
  • AFL is the most googled sport in Australia, even places like Canberra it beats all other sports.

Just a few small facts to help out those trying counter those trying to peddle the strength of the other football codes in Australia. It's a complete non contest, despite what the Sydney media try to tell us.

Probably the biggest factor in this whole issue however is that it’s the AFL itself that has led the charge in scrapping the word “football”. They’ve scrapped it everywhere they can in favour of ‘AFL’.

The spreading of the term football for soccer wouldn’t have happened so much if not for this.

Many years ago they presumably did a focus group in the supposed centre of the universe (Sydney) and remarkably found that people don’t call it football. They call it AFL. That was always more about rugby league than soccer. But ever since they’ve got rid of the word football wherever possible and replaced it with ‘AFL’. Even in Victoria. And here we are.

Probably the biggest factor in this whole issue however is that it’s the AFL itself that has led the charge in scrapping the word “football”. They’ve scrapped it everywhere they can in favour of ‘AFL’.

The spreading of the term football for soccer wouldn’t have happened so much if not for this.

Many years ago they presumably did a focus group in the supposed centre of the universe (Sydney) and remarkably found that people don’t call it football. They call it AFL. That was always more about rugby league than soccer. But ever since they’ve got rid of the word football wherever possible and replaced it with ‘AFL’. Even in Victoria. And here we are.

I agree with this it was a big error. The game should have always been promoted as 'Australian football' with the premier league being the AFL.

I’ve watched so many World Cups over the years, and over and over I find myself going “what is this crowd getting so excited about?” Just leaves me completely cold. Must be genetic.
Well, you say that. I've actually got some soccer players in the blood, and I still can't get into it. One side of my family is from the UK and my great uncle is apparently a legend in a large Scottish town. You'd think that would motivate me to watch it, but I cannot get into it.

Well, you say that. I've actually got some soccer players in the blood, and I still can't get into it. One side of my family is from the UK and my great uncle is apparently a legend in a large Scottish town. You'd think that would motivate me to watch it, but I cannot get into it.

If you like it you like it, if you don’t you don’t.

No biggie, no one is forcing anyone to like it.

No sure if it's the AFL or New Limited pushing it. Newslimited made a deal with Soccer Australia as part of the broadcast rights a while ago that they would refer to soccer as football, and Australian rules football as AFL.

This figure likely to become 20X once the soccer negotiates a new deal, unless they can pluck another Paramount out of thin air.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
There's always a new foreign player who comes in and thinks they can turn Australian Soccer around and puts up the cash for it.

I remember all the talk Paramount made about promoting the game etc. I can't say I've seen any of it actually happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, they are rugby union nuffs and have that great running gag that the national marketing director for that sport is a pigeon who always get the promotion wrong, hence why absolutely nobody has any idea what teams even play the thing.

But yeah, their 'Victorian foot tennis' thing gets a bit old considering they are quite pro NRL.

I literally didn't do any work today and just posted a new thread on this topic :tearsofjoy:, at is seems to be getting under the skin of a few people on here and rightfully so. Some might find it helpful.

I use that all the time if I want to take the piss, but we can also score by missing as well (which I've never really been able to justify despite my best attempts).

Each game has their quirks, after all soccer has their offside rule implemented incorrectly and has broken the spirit of their game so eh?

Best part about graded scoring is there can be a (eg) 3 point difference in the latter stages of a game, and the lead can change.

In soccer it requires two scores, which is a different thing altogether

AFL were petty dickheads releasing fixture stuff during Argentina game, but the paranoia from soccer folk towards the big bad AFL and somehow it’s stopping the a-league from getting off the ground it’s simply not true.

Soccer has massive participation figures, more than AFL, yet AFL way more popular a domestic competition than the a league, it’s not even on at the same time of year.
Soccer has a small penis, small mans disease, always will and has been sooking about it for decades in this country.

You can't continually blame every other code for the A league shitness, and constant public disgracing of itself.

Why the * should another code pay heed?

Whining on an AFL site is just plain stupid.

Best part about graded scoring is there can be a (eg) 3 point difference in the latter stages of a game, and the lead can change.

In soccer it requires two scores, which is a different thing altogether
Soccer fans love to say their game has nuance but having goals and behinds gives nuance galore. (If that's not a contradiction in terms.)

I think I’m beginning to understand.

Until recently, I was only vaguely familiar with this term “active fan group”.

Seems to describe something unique to soccer, namely, fans who not only say their sport is nothing without them, who are not only more interested in their own shenanigans than what’s happening out on the paddock, but who obviously think their own shenanigans are more important than what’s happening out on the paddock.

Have a read of this article. Unimaginable that an AFL article (except maybe at the height of the shameful Adam Goodes booing) or an article about league or union would have the same sort of focus.

No idea how things have gotten this far out of whack, but Aus soccer has a huge problem on its hands.

Last edited:
I think I’m beginning to understand.

Until recently, I was only vaguely familiar with this term “active fan group”.

Seems to describe something unique to soccer, namely, fans who not only say their sport is nothing without them, who are not only more interested in their own shenanigans than what’s happening out on the paddock, but who obviously think their own shenanigans are more important than what’s happening out on the paddock.

Have a read of this article. Unimaginable that an AFL article (except maybe at the height of the shameful Adam Goodes booing) or an article about league or union would have the same sort of focus.

No idea how things have gotten this far out of whack, but Aus soccer has a huge problem on its hands.

This excerpt from that article:

“Those seeking to market and promote soccer as a successful sports commodity have prioritised developing the Anglo-Australian market; ignoring strong ethnically based market segments does not seem a wise move. It is these populations who have, after all, sustained the sport in Australia.”

Not only is ignoring the ethnic market a big problem, tryna develop an 'anglo australian' market is a hiding to nothing. The anglo aussie just isn't into soccer and never has been (very few anyway)

If there was interest we would've seen it long before now.

Seems the only fans will be those with ethnic ties to the game, so that probably excludes the bulk of the population.

The anglo aussie just isn't into soccer and never has been (very few anyway)
Well I disagree it's "very few"; I have lots of Anglo mates who love soccer, but the reality soccer fans won't swallow is it's not nearly as many as Aussie Rules, and (at least as a TV cash cow) NRL.

If there was interest we would've seen it long before now.
I make this point over and over. It's not as if Aussies have never seen a game of soccer.

Soccer fans usually counter with "just wait till the immigrant communities get really established in Australian society".

I usually counter that with "we've been taking immigrants from one of the most soccer-mad nations in the world since 1788 - the nation that codified the sport - but strangely, after a generation or two, most of them seem to decide they prefer our other codes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back