Roast Soccer host angry at AFL twitter

Remove this Banner Ad

I get that Serbia and Croatia have a very complicated history but it annoys me when Serbian and Croatian people immigrate to Australia and bring that complicated history here.
What an intolerant view. Why should immigrating here mean that people should change who they are?

What an intolerant view. Why should immigrating here mean that people should change who they are?

It’s not intolerant, just asking that as you are now in Australia, please leave your vendetta ways behind.

I have a lovely friend who’s parents were both born in Croatia ( friend born in Aussie ), she has regularly told her parents that hating your neighbours because they are Serb or a Bosnian, does not cut the mustard. Her parents agree, but admit that “old ways” slip in at times.

In this instance, you can be proudly Croatian, but show tolerance to your neighbours.

Soccer fans usually counter with "just wait till the immigrant communities get really established in Australian society".

I usually counter that with "we've been taking immigrants from one of the most soccer-mad nations in the world since 1788 - the nation that codified the sport - but strangely, after a generation or two, most of them seem to decide they prefer our other codes.
Although not need of mention but also Australia is one of the most (if not the most) multicultural societies on the planet. If there was ever a ground for soccer to prosper in country where soccer isn't the indigenous game, this country would be it. Yet here we are with soccer in disarray.

Although not need of mention but also Australia is one of the most (if not the most) multicultural societies on the planet. If there was ever a ground for soccer to prosper in country where soccer isn't the indigenous game, this country would be it. Yet here we are with soccer in disarray.

I actually think we are less multicultural than most other western countries. The U.S, Germany, England, Canada, all those places have more immigrants than here.

I actually think we are less multicultural than most other western countries. The U.S, Germany, England, Canada, all those places have more immigrants than here.

They have more immigrants and have much much larger populations, we probably have more immigrants per capita than those nations. If not the point is there are many who are now aussies that you'd argue soccer would be there go to sport in this country but they don't seem to.

Better start some history study.

I've lived in the U.S and been to England multiple times, I don't know the stats but just personal perspective seemed 10x more non whites in those countries than here. Sbs posted a thing recently how multicultural is your suburb, basically Australia is Anglo dominant, in the majority of places except in pockets of Sydney and Melbourne.

Over 40 percent of the population in the U.S is non white, I remember my ex father in law kept going on about how they are predicting more Hispanics in the U.S than whites by 2050 or something.

From what I can see only around 25 percent of the Australian population is non white.

But interested to recieve your history lesson on this topic.

Have my doubts. Vancouver in Canada seemed similar to Melbourne. USA just have more immigrants from South America and islands around there that we tend to not have much of but it a much bigger population and from my experience at JFK airport their officials look down on immigrants from those nations in really bad way. Gave me a real bad impression. I've never been to England or Germany so I won't comment on that. I liked the mood in Vancouver where it a mix of lots of people from differents part of this world and people are chill and tend to be friendly with each other for most part. Similar to here imo.
Mind you, I think in Sydney and Brisbane it not as chilled as here or Adelaide.

I've lived in the U.S and been to England multiple times, I don't know the stats but just personal perspective seemed 10x more non whites in those countries than here. Sbs posted a thing recently how multicultural is your suburb, basically Australia is Anglo dominant, in the majority of places except in pockets of Sydney and Melbourne.

Over 40 percent of the population in the U.S is non white, I remember my ex father in law kept going on about how they are predicting more Hispanics in the U.S than whites by 2050 or something.

From what I can see only around 25 percent of the Australian population is non white.

Oh well, maybe one day we'll be rid of all the white people, and you can relax.

That's great, but you are wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Less black percentage doesn’t mean less immigrants.

Or do European immigrants not count?

Less black percentage doesn’t mean less immigrants.

Or do European immigrants not count?

The U.S would still have us covered there I reckon. Heaps of polish, Irish, Italian, Greek etc too, even bumped into a bunch of people from Lithuanian background, which you don't hear of here, but they are all classified as 'white' in America anyway.

To be clear I'm talking sheer percentage of population of people from immigrant backgrounds, we might have people from more countries as the above poster said, but one family from some random country in Africa doesn't really match up to 50 million Mexicans or whatever.

The U.S would still have us covered there I reckon. Heaps of polish, Irish, Italian, Greek etc too, even bumped into a bunch of people from Lithuanian background, which you don't hear of here, but they are all classified as 'white' in America anyway.

To be clear I'm talking sheer percentage of population of people from immigrant backgrounds, we might have people from more countries as the above poster said, but one family from some random country in Africa doesn't really match up to 50 million Mexicans or whatever.

It’s not hard to find data that shows you are wrong. US have 25% of their immigration from Mexico, predominantly into areas that were previously effectively Mexico.

Only? That's a quarter, and for relevance to the conversation about 'organically grown support for soccer' you could argue all the 'whiteys' of non 'oi oi oi' background have originated from soccer heartland countries.

So why aren't they attending / watching the a league?

It’s not hard to find data that shows you are wrong. US have 25% of their immigration from Mexico, predominantly into areas that were previously effectively Mexico.

Ahh ok so we are counting fresh immigrants from England and New Zealand, that basically morph into the white population within 10 years.

Multicultural to me means people from non western backgrounds, which includes first and second generations of Hispanics as an example.

If you took a room of say 30 people in a classroom reflecting the countries demographics, the Aussie classroom would look predominantly white with a few Chinese and Indians in the class. An American classroom would be 1 in ever 3rd person either black or Hispanic.

U.S
18.9 percent Hispanic
13.6 percent Black
7.4 percent Asian

Australia
17.4 percent Asian (inc. Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese etc)
1 - 3 percent Arabs
- I can't think of another non European white background prevalent enough in Australia to be over 1 percent.

*Regardless I agree with carringbush, that basically every immigrant that comes in here is from a soccer countries background, so it is an advantage, yet they probably see the quality of the A league and keep following the top leagues around the world with the ability to do that now days.

*Regardless I agree with carringbush, that basically every immigrant that comes in here is from a soccer countries background, so it is an advantage, yet they probably see the quality of the A league and keep following the top leagues around the world with the ability to do that now days.
Yep, that's the takeaway.

The English came here with the Irish. The fought for centuries. Starvation during the Potato famine was due to English hatred. So enmity was high on the list of those two. The Catholics & Protestants fought each other for centuries. Groups of these have moved here too. Polish, Russians, Germans, Italians have all had wars, many have moved here & lived peaceful lives.

Thankfully they all changed here in Australia.

So immigration here does mean they change.

For some reason pockets of some embittered groups remain. A small minority. They are the problem.

Last edited:
Ahh ok so we are counting fresh immigrants from England and New Zealand, that basically morph into the white population within 10 years.

Multicultural to me means people from non western backgrounds, which includes first and second generations of Hispanics as an example.

If you took a room of say 30 people in a classroom reflecting the countries demographics, the Aussie classroom would look predominantly white with a few Chinese and Indians in the class. An American classroom would be 1 in ever 3rd person either black or Hispanic.

U.S
18.9 percent Hispanic
13.6 percent Black
7.4 percent Asian

Australia
17.4 percent Asian (inc. Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese etc)
1 - 3 percent Arabs
- I can't think of another non European white background prevalent enough in Australia to be over 1 percent.

Yeah, right, because Germans are culturally identical to Italians, who are culturally identical to Spanish, who are culturally identical to Swedes, who are culturally identical to English, who are culturally identical to Irish, who are culturally identical to the French…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back