Roast Soccer host angry at AFL twitter

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, all this crap runs on news.com.au too, which is the most visited Australian website on the internet.

Far out, I was on there today and saw an opinion piece about men needing to 'do better'. Quite honestly the poorest excuse I've seen for 'journalism', and I'd recommend you all read it if you have enough time in your day to be jaw dropped.

No, it isn't an article about domestic violence or something with any substance. Zero redeeming qualities.

The most viewed website in Australia? That's frightening knowing impressionable people could be influenced by the dross served up on there.

Far out, I was on there today and saw an opinion piece about men needing to 'do better'. Quite honestly the poorest excuse I've seen for 'journalism', and I'd recommend you all read it if you have enough time in your day to be jaw dropped.

No, it isn't an article about domestic violence or something with any substance. Zero redeeming qualities.

The most viewed website in Australia? That's frightening knowing impressionable people could be influenced by the dross served up on there.
That is what the lowest common denominator taps into for “current affairs” . Cringeworthy .

I think you're referring to this

An excerpt: Travis Auld said.

“The reality is on that, for as long as I’ve been at the AFL and probably well before that, we’ve always released Round 1 of the fixture to News Limited on the Sunday.

“That’s been organised a long time out.

Playing a long game against soccer. ‘In 5 years time the Socceroos vxxxx game will….

Now you are aware, look out for the anti AFL/pro NRL tripe on there.

It's amazing, considering newscorp pay huge sums for the game via foxtel, that they continually run the game down to their northern states readers. I think they want to maintain the football divide as it's suits their business to have R.L in NSW and QLD and AFL in the southern states.

You'd think if anything the Australian game would get the most favourable media treatment, but it's actually the complete opposite, you'd think AFL was the imported sport and the NRL a proud Australian invention the way they carry on.

Last edited:
I don’t know who in this thread needs to hear this but…

Australian Rules Football is the only sport in the world that has the right to call itself ’football’.

The Indigenous game is the only sport in the world whereby the only way to obtain the maximum score possible, i.e. a goal, is by kicking the ball through the goal. In soccer, you can use your head and/or any other body part that isn’t your arms to score.

I'd be more embarrassed if the AFL did schedule the fixture release deliberately. Thinking Soccer is a threat to Aussie Rules is like thinking the 11 year old having a perve at your girlfriend is a legitimate threat to your relationship.

Soccer is an afterthought to the AFL - if that. Effectively irrelevant.

I don’t know who in this thread needs to hear this but…

Australian Rules Football is the only sport in the world that has the right to call itself ’football’.

The Indigenous game is the only sport in the world whereby the only way to obtain the maximum score possible, i.e. a goal, is by kicking the ball through the goal. In soccer, you can use your head and/or any other body part that isn’t your arms to score.

Interesting take, the issue is you cant play Aussie rules without the use of your hands, carrying the ball, bouncing it, hand passing it and marking it are all key features. Soccers general play is significantly more foot orientated.

Interesting take, the issue is you cant play Aussie rules without the use of your hands, carrying the ball, bouncing it, hand passing it and marking it are all key features. Soccers general play is significantly more foot orientated.
I use that all the time if I want to take the piss, but we can also score by missing as well (which I've never really been able to justify despite my best attempts).

Each game has their quirks, after all soccer has their offside rule implemented incorrectly and has broken the spirit of their game so eh?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've read that, it's a great book.
Yes, so nice to read a book discussing the respective strengths and weaknesses of the four codes, completely impartially.

Ever tried having a sensible discussion with Australian soccer fans on the Guardian website? Completely impossible. Everything's "Eff off! No-one cares about your pissy little sport!"

These arguments always go round and round but the one that tickles me is soccer fans saying you can't use your hands in soccer football and then in the next breath waxing lyrical about their goalie's latest save.

Mate this World Cup has had little simulation and referees a on to it can it get better offcourse .How many cheap free kicks we see in footy happens in all sport.

Atleast players can question referees appropriately have look at footy players get penalised for questioning umpires and even coaches a silenced laughable.

Don't give the racially tag because it's happening in footy regularly to our our indigenous community.
Your 3 references to "footy" - you are talking about Aussie Rules, yeah?

Just wanted to be sure, as there were a couple of posters like db26 that were a bit sensitive and took offense to people using the terms "footy" and "football" when referring to Aussie Rules.

Your 3 references to "footy" - you are talking about Aussie Rules, yeah?

Just wanted to be sure, as there were a couple of posters like db26 that were a bit sensitive and took offense to people using the terms "footy" and "football" when referring to Aussie Rules.

Any country with it's own football code, which is the biggest football code in the country should have the exclusive rights to be called football. It's common sense, as seen in a little country called the United States and Ireland etc.

Just a reminder to the soccer knobs:
  • the AFL tv deal is 10x the amount of the Australian soccer tv deal.
  • Attendances 4x the amount.
  • club memberships, approximately 10x the amount.
  • sponsorship would be at a minimum double the amount, probably much higher.
  • participation the only one where soccer gives good numbers, but again it's non contact and easy to play. Plus Australian football still has the highest amount of club participants out of any sport in W.A, S.A, Victoria. There are now nearly as many club participants in Australian football as rugby league in NSW and QLD.
  • the AFL makes more revenue annually than the A league, NRL and Rugby Australia combined. Wait till the new tv deal kicks in 2025, it will widen even more.
  • AFL is the most googled sport in Australia, even places like Canberra it beats all other sports.

Just a few small facts to help out those trying counter those trying to peddle the strength of the other football codes in Australia. It's a complete non contest, despite what the Sydney media try to tell us.

It was set in stone weeks out Auld said and that was even communicated to news corp to release on the Sunday even before the socceroos advanced to the next round.

Then of course news corp with their headquarters in Sydney ran with the 'AFL pathetic fixture release' headlines to get all the northerners wound up with their usual anti AFL rhetoric, leaving out the fact they were in on it themselves all along. Then when Auld explained it in a press conference, news.com.au didn't run with the explanation, but instead with the headline 'AFL say 'it is what it is' over pathetic fixture release'.

I'm telling you people, if you haven't picked up the intentional anti AFL rhetoric that has halted the AFL advances into the northern states significantly by the sydney media, then you were likely born yesterday.

Another example of this is the ABC's online edition. A year or two back I would load up abc.net.au on Saturday mornings before work expecting to see news about last nights match as the leading AFL section article and nearly every single time it would be a Richard Hinds editorial (but don't worry! he's totally a fan!) about how the sport "fails the Australian public" or whatever. Meanwhile the leading article in the main sport section would usually be about off season A-league transfer rumours or something equally unimportant; not even the NRL despite being Sydney-based got much play outside of it's own section.

I tried to like soccer for so long, as it's the world game and if you don't like it you're an uncultured sports fan.
Tired of trying, the game is so boring. If you don't cheat, you don't win etc.
I can appreciate the skills in their ball handling and the amount of stamina they have at that level , but I agree outside of the highlights it’s like watching paint dry

I tried to like soccer for so long, as it's the world game and if you don't like it you're an uncultured sports fan.
Tired of trying, the game is so boring. If you don't cheat, you don't win etc.
I’ve watched so many World Cups over the years, and over and over I find myself going “what is this crowd getting so excited about?” Just leaves me completely cold. Must be genetic.

Another example of this is the ABC's online edition. A year or two back I would load up abc.net.au on Saturday mornings before work expecting to see news about last nights match as the leading AFL section article and nearly every single time it would be a Richard Hinds editorial (but don't worry! he's totally a fan!) about how the sport "fails the Australian public" or whatever. Meanwhile the leading article in the main sport section would usually be about off season A-league transfer rumours or something equally unimportant; not even the NRL despite being Sydney-based got much play outside of it's own section.

I've noticed this from the ABC as well, which is disgraceful considering it should be promoting Australian culture first and foremost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back