Softest player in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Softest player I ever saw was Andrew Mcdougall.
Was faf reading NumeroUno trying to defend him, claiming he was better than Pav.

Yup he was the pull out king. Not sure how anyone thought he would make it at AFL level. That kind of stuff is hard to train out.

Jack Watts was another.

Current players, i'd have someone like Brad Hill up there.

Wow this thread is a bit of a throw back!

I remember back in the mid 2000s, this topic would come up quite often and you’d see ‘receivers’ cop a bashing for their high uncontested possession rates. It was just when widely available stats were starting to go beyond ‘kick, Mark, handball’.

Was always a pretty quick indicator that someone had no idea what they were talking about too...

Lets be fair dinkum. Any AFL footballer is tougher then any of us so in reality we should all shut our traps
Agreed. I reckon anyone who plays AFL football, or any level of football for that matter, has a fair degree of courage. Pretty laughable for “coodabeens” on BF to be casting aspersions on AFL player’s intestinal fortitude.

Taking talent + physique into consideration:

Adelaide - Tom Lynch
Brisbane - Eric Hipwood
Carlton - Jack Silvagni
Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson
Essendon - Shaun McKernan
Fremantle - Cam McCarthy
GWS - Jeremy Finlayson
Geelong - Gryan Miers
Gold Coast - Sam Day
Hawthorn - Jon Patton
Melbourne - Jake Lever
North - Ben Brown
Port - Xavier Duursma
Richmond - DES or Chol
Saints - Dan Hannebery
Sydney - Tom Papley
West Coke - Oscar Allen
Dogs - Josh Bruce

Miers? Really? I think there's heaps softer from GFC.

I genuinely think the hair fools people

Memory of his dive when Houli brushed past him in 2019.

Who do you think is softer?

And yes the hair doesn't help haha.

Dangerfield has dived before but I think you'd struggle to mount a case that he's soft.

Using the criteria of size relativity etc, I'd say Blicavs is an obvious one. He is getting better but he doesn't play like a guy his size when it gets physical a lot of the time.
Jack Henry up until recently I'd have put in that category but he impressed my with his courage a few times in the finals.

Marc Murphy

T2GS6Mu.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He can't have done it too many times. He kicked 19.6 this season and while he missed a dolly in the GF he also kicked one when we were even more under the pump.

Easier to perform when the team is going well, it's when they've got their backs to the wall he's found wanting. It's not even just his goalkicking either - his general decision making which Geelong are under pressure goes out. There was another horrendous decision he made, possibly the week before, he s**t himself and kicked blindly into the 50 for a direct turnover.

Has Chad Wingard syndrome.

Easier to perform when the team is going well, it's when they've got their backs to the wall he's found wanting. It's not even just his goalkicking either - his general decision making which Geelong are under pressure goes out. There was another horrendous decision he made, possibly the week before, he sh*t himself and kicked blindly into the 50 for a direct turnover.

Has Chad Wingard syndrome.

Um, exactly. The easy one he missed was when we were dominating in the second quarter, the one he slotted was when we'd just had our lead chopped to 3 points.

Jaidyn Stephenson might be the softest player I've seen in the last 10 years. He'd probably be the softest guy on the field in local footy. Immense speed and skill though.

Tom scully

And it is not even close

Um, exactly. The easy one he missed was when we were dominating in the second quarter, the one he slotted was when we'd just had our lead chopped to 3 points.

Interesting, so it still applies but in reverse. Had the opportunity to make it very difficult for Richmond to come back, sensed it, and fluffed the kick, but ended up kicking one later against the general flow of play.

Interesting, so it still applies but in reverse. Had the opportunity to make it very difficult for Richmond to come back, sensed it, and fluffed the kick, but ended up kicking one later against the general flow of play.

So? Tom Hawkins missed two when we were on top.
Joel Selwood fell short of the distance when we needed a goal to stop the bleeding.
As we all know though, these 'rules' only apply when it suits.

Lets be fair dinkum. Any AFL footballer is tougher then any of us so in reality we should all shut our traps

strongly strongly disgaree, because they play footy you think they somehow are mentally tougher or physically more withstanding than those who don't.

Marc Murphy
Will-Hoskin Elliott
Jared Polec
Jake Lloyd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back