Toast Some respect for our Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

You have to wonder if he's the early favourite for Shinboner of the Era when they announce it for the 2016-2025 stretch. Six years and running of captaincy and he has basically been the human embodiment of shinboner spirit during his entire time at the club.

I'd have him slightly ahead of Cunnington at this stage, but both have a really good case as they have for better or worse been our identity over the past decade. Both are equally courageous and tough, but Cunnington naturally does it in his quiet achiever type of way, whereas Ziebell's courage tends to border on the reckless and stupid at times and naturally stands out.

Well, on quite a few statistical metrics outlined in places in the media last year, he was elite. Borderline AA.

How/why that didn’t translate on the eyeball test of the great and wise big footy posters, I’m not sure.

Absolutely mate, agreed and we are saying very similar things. My point about being considered elite was really more about his perceived ranking in the game over a dozen seasons or so. Don’t think he’s had a spot in the AA 40 or a Sheehan/Slobbo 50 for example

Yes, he’s a great shinboner as I tried to point out above. I named my 3rd son after him in 2010.

Captain Jack gives his inspirational talk before the game, the boys obliged and won it out of the middle, delivering the pill on to Captain Jacks chest. Captain Jack drops the chest mark, Dogs kick 8 goals while our guys all hang their heads thinking, FFS Jack.

Inspirational.

Jack has performed up forward in the past and over 2020 / 2021 most supporters expected that he'd fill a spot in the forward line to see out his career. There's a need for leadership to ensure that the forwards hold their positions and run patterns that don't result in everybody clumping themselves in one spot - if there had been 2 seasons of Jack up front then I seriously think that he'd have the group working well at that end of the ground.

Instead he was used to plug a major hole down back - something he's not nearly as well equipped to do - other than to have the necessary G&D. His game suffered as a result. As has his reputation.

I hope that his performance against the swanns is repeated several times this season and next to boot!
His goal kicking had dropped off massively, they hoped he could play that Hodge type role at HB.

In hindsight, his 2018 and 2019 were really very good. Don’t know if it’s possible to recapture it but gee it would be nice on many, many fronts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back