Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

Unsure if you've known anyone in AFL circles but its a bloody hard job to get into. I know former, current AFL players, my uncle was on Collingwood's rookie list back in 2001. I know current staffers at St.Kilda and Melbourne and the rat race is very real. You do anything to stay in these circles.

Voldermort has been employed by Essendon for close to how long? 30 years? he's not the one being sacked. Essendon don't have the guts to do that. Look at the current circus and lie we are living to appease AD
It sounds to me like we agree then?

My argument is that if he was genuinely putting EFC first, he would have stepped away to see if someone else could achieve better results. If it is so hard to get a position like his and so he has to do what he can protect it is true, it only amplifies this point further: dodo is putting his own interests before the club’s.

By all accounts he is exceedingly wealthy and it’s not like he needs this job to feed the family, etc.

id hazard a guess we have had the least amount of rising star nominations since the turn of the century
Let's see if you're right. Since 2000:

Ade: 25
Bri: 38
Car: 28
Col: 34
Ess: 33
Fre: 31
Gee: 26
GC: 23
GWS: 23
Haw: 35
Mel: 39
NM: 25
PA: 28
Ric: 29
StK: 23
Syd: 27
WC: 31
WB: 32

So there are 4 clubs with more nominations than us in that timeframe.

Of all people. I 100% knew you would be the one to do this.. thanks

Interesting we've had so many nominations and still been s**t

It sounds to me like we agree then?

My argument is that if he was genuinely putting EFC first, he would have stepped away to see if someone else could achieve better results. If it is so hard to get a position like his and so he has to do what he can protect it is true, it only amplifies this point further: dodo is putting his own interests before the club’s.

By all accounts he is exceedingly wealthy and it’s not like he needs this job to feed the family, etc.
apologies, maybe I misinterpreted your point. I undoubtedly agree that he has always put EFC first. I negotiations, the result must be in the EFC favour.

As I mentioned, being in the rat race, no one is giving up there seat. No one

I was going to say that maybe other teams are probably giving their rising star eligible players more development time in the 2s rather than rushing them into the senior side to fill one of many gaps. But it's a pretty narrow range of values so I don't think you can really draw many conclusions from it. Towards the end of the season rising star noms are just about a participation award rather than indicative of outrageous talent

apologies, maybe I misinterpreted your point. I undoubtedly agree that he has always put EFC first. I negotiations, the result must be in the EFC favour.

As I mentioned, being in the rat race, no one is giving up there seat. No one
It seems we agree that dodo had been a bad for the club but where I think we disagree is that I think he’s put his own interests above the club’s.

People stand down from sought after positions all the time, it’s not really anything that unusual.

How many of those nominations

(1) played 100+ AFL games?
(2) currently still play at the club?

CBF, but at a guess around half 100+, 1/3 still here?

Martin, durham, merrett, parish, perkins, cox, jones, hobbs, heppell, mcgrath still at the club

Merrett, parish, heppell, mcgrath, melksham, hurley, zaka, ryder, fantasia (possibly), stanton, daniher, mcveigh and rama played over 100

Houli and richards too but mostly elsewhere.

nominations are only that - a nomination. they might have 1 good game and be s**t for the rest of their career. i'd be interested to see how many nominees made a career out of it, or ended up getting delisted

nominations are only that - a nomination. they might have 1 good game and be s**t for the rest of their career. i'd be interested to see how many nominees made a career out of it, or ended up getting delisted
nominations suggest talent is there, the fact we've had, what did Ethan say, 4th most? and still had no success, even on the horizon is pretty damning on the club as a whole

nominations suggest talent is there, the fact we've had, what did Ethan say, 4th most? and still had no success, even on the horizon is pretty damning on the club as a whole
talent is there, sure, but it's down to the club to use it effectively. we've had 2 winners, too

Nominations are completely meaningless in my mind. Players needn’t have much more than a single half decent game and they’ll get one.

nominations per round is also a silly way to do it, since those who get it in later weeks don’t have to compete with those who get it earlier.

It is not really suggestive of anything other than a youngish player had a half decent game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think dodo is very generous with contracts and list management and is always going a extra year, 1 year too long. Durham another example to add. 3 years is what is should have been.

I like durham but is actually below average in most stat categories, a mid sized skinny flanker trying to make inside player. Prefer him in heppels spot and maybe pinch hit do a defensive job inside. Great effort and currently best 22 but only worth 3.

Shiel, parish, heppel, Weidmann all recently given a year too long and currently on list. Smith and Stewart recent of those who aren't. Think both contracts are off the books now?

Parish plenty to run but contract end is 5 years away, and we already question value to team at times. All should have been given 1 year less.

And some may try to
point to list turnover but we have been the worst performed club in last twenty years and been through a drug saga so we should have one of the highest turnover rates during dodo era.

Think dodo is very generous with contracts and list management and is always going a extra year, 1 year too long. Durham another example to add. 3 years is what is should have been.

I like durham but is actually below average in most stat categories, a mid sized skinny flanker trying to make inside player. Prefer him in heppels spot and maybe pinch hit do a defensive job inside. Great effort and currently best 22 but only worth 3.

Shiel, parish, heppel, Weidmann all recently given a year too long and currently on list. Smith and Stewart recent of those who aren't. Think both contracts are off the books now?

Parish plenty to run but contract end is 5 years away, and we already question value to team at times. All should have been given 1 year less.

And some may try to
point to list turnover but we have been the worst performed club in last twenty years and been through a drug saga so we should have one of the highest turnover rates during dodo era.
This is all good and well based on the past but right now Scott and Vosso are not signing blokes to contracts longer than they want.
So yes Parish got a long term but this is not a Dodoro thing . It is Scott and Vosso rated him so sign him long term.
Last year we also offered 1 year deals to Jones and co and D’Ambrosio left because we only offered one year based on the lingering question marks on his defensive game.
Jones would have got two or three years of Ardian was running the show .

This is all good and well based on the past but right now Scott and Vosso are not signing blokes to contracts longer than they want.
So yes Parish got a long term but this is not a Dodoro thing . It is Scott and Vosso rated him so sign him long term.
Last year we also offered 1 year deals to Jones and co and D’Ambrosio left because we only offered one year based on the lingering question marks on his defensive game.
Jones would have got two or three years of Ardian was running the show .

Contract length seems to have shifted in the last couple of years, what was a 2-3 year deal is now 3-4, with star players getting 6, 7 or 8 which was almost unheard of 3 or 4 years ago (Buddy excepted). 4 seems a bit overs for Durham but it might be at a pretty 'bargain' rate to offset the extra length.

I don't recall EFC having lost any players due to salary constraints since the early 2000's so whatever we do, and whoever is responsible for it, we do seem to manage the cap quite well.

Nominations are completely meaningless in my mind. Players needn’t have much more than a single half decent game and they’ll get one.

nominations per round is also a silly way to do it, since those who get it in later weeks don’t have to compete with those who get it earlier.

It is not really suggestive of anything other than a youngish player had a half decent game.

Exhibit A: Rhys Palmer.

Got to love a list full of spuds.

Everyone loves a spud

French Fries GIF by Netta

On the RS nominations, I'm not surprised we fare well there, Dodoro has proven over a long period of time he can select AFL standard players from anywhere in the ND/RD/MSD/SPP his problem is picking elite talent, picks good safe kids from nice families, stays in his lane, the safe lane.

I do like the Caddy pick though, he seems different to who we normally take, perhaps Scott and his edge chatter is going to come to the fore in how and who we draft now.

Last edited:
On the RS nominations, I'm not surprised we fare well there, Dodoro has proven over a long period of time he can select AFL standard players from anywhere in the ND/RD/MSD/SPP his problem is picking elite talent, picks good safe kids from nice families, stays in his lane, the safe lane.

I do like the Caddy pick though, he seems different to who we normally take, perhaps Scott and his edge chatter is going to come to the fore in how and who we draft now.
Hobbs and Caddy seem like the least Dodoro first round picks we've made in recent years.

Contract length seems to have shifted in the last couple of years, what was a 2-3 year deal is now 3-4, with star players getting 6, 7 or 8 which was almost unheard of 3 or 4 years ago (Buddy excepted). 4 seems a bit overs for Durham but it might be at a pretty 'bargain' rate to offset the extra length.

I don't recall EFC having lost any players due to salary constraints since the early 2000's so whatever we do, and whoever is responsible for it, we do seem to manage the cap quite well.
Why should we have had salary constraints. We haven't had a list able to win a final in twenty years.

Apart from Merret, maybe McKay? who else should be top 30 or so paid players in the comp. The market value of parish was not high, think was one of the main drivers in resigning with us.

Why should we have had salary constraints. We haven't had a list able to win a final in twenty years.

Apart from Merret, maybe McKay? who else should be top 30 or so paid players in the comp. The market value of parish was not high, think was one of the main drivers in resigning with us.

There's been a few more than Merrett and McKay in the last 20 odd years..

I've never really looked at list and thought how do we fit them all in. You say good list management I say haven't had a list of valuable enough players to justify any salary constraints.

Carlisle, hooker, hurley last time I can remember having tough salary cap question. 3 sought after player is similar position.

I feel that Dodo has always focussed on the spine first. Especially with a lot of our first round picks. Unfortunately for talls in their teens and early 20s they get injured too often and development and confidence stalls.

Like fast bowlers in cricket you hope by 23/24 they have grown into their bodies and can be the backbone of successful teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back