Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

I've never really looked at list and thought how do we fit them all in. You say good list management I say haven't had a list of valuable enough players to justify any salary constraints.

Carlisle, hooker, hurley last time I can remember having tough salary cap question. 3 sought after player is similar position.
Plenty of clubs have had average lists and still managed to have salary cap issues.

I feel that Dodo has always focussed on the spine first. Especially with a lot of our first round picks. Unfortunately for talls in their teens and early 20s they get injured too often and development and confidence stalls.

Like fast bowlers in cricket you hope by 23/24 they have grown into their bodies and can be the backbone of successful teams.
Dodoro blames Sheedy for that but they're both still there, so we get what we get. At least with Rosa in the role now things may change.

Dodoro blames Sheedy for that but they're both still there, so we get what we get. At least with Rosa in the role now things may change.
There are a few others involved as well now. Scott. Vozzo . McPhearson. Things will change. We have to wait and see if the change works.:)

I hear this grub was flown over for the game.

Still employed. Still "doing" his job.

This club cannot go anywhere until this cancer is cut out of the place.
It's ok I keep reading in here he's good at contracts! So keep him at the club forever.

He should not hold any position at the club effective a long time ago.

To think that this germ is still lurking in the background……
Tired Oh No GIF by Liverpool FC

Background?
The club just openly lied. He's not "stepping down" they just hired someone to be his assistant and called him a replacement.

Nothing but lies and misdirection comes out of the club.

They treat us like idiots. When you see board members like Sheedy getting re-elected you can see why they treat us with contempt.

Going nowhere.

I hear this grub was flown over for the game.

Still employed. Still "doing" his job.

This club cannot go anywhere until this cancer is cut out of the place.
Expect us to announce during the week, we have signed one of our players to a contract that is a couple of years too long.

We will not have any success until he is completely gone.

The club just openly lied. He's not "stepping down" they just hired someone to be his assistant and called him a replacement.

Nothing but lies and misdirection comes out of the club.

They treat us like idiots. When you see board members like Sheedy getting re-elected you can see why they treat us with contempt.

Going nowhere.
This is spot on.

It was a PR stunt nothing more. Ppl still defend it, yet no confirmed end date.

Worse still he openly laughs about supporters believing the club and that he wouldnt still be the main man going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just awful - he was directly responsible for at least 6 goals last night - the difference between a smashing and being competitive this guy. should not have been taken over

There’s probably not much point in gnashing teeth over the guy who no longer plays much of a role in recruiting
Keep drinking the cool-aid.

Even your response not much of a role, admits he still plays a role. Ask yourself why?

Last year's recruiting was better but he still has a lot of influence.

This is spot on.

It was a PR stunt nothing more. Ppl still defend it, yet no confirmed end date.

Worse still he openly laughs about supporters believing the club and that he wouldnt still be the main man going forward.
You would be surprised how many supporters do actually support him. Seems that most of his distractors are the ones around a few footy forums.

You can keep your head in the sand but he actually doesn't. That is 100% fact.
I have no real issue with people wanting him totally gone but facts are facts.
Scott / McPherson / Rosa / Vozzo have the input on FA and trade targets.
RFK / Rohan O'Brien and that team look after the draft.
Dodoro does the contract negotiations that have already been decided on by the above.
And one final fact. It was never reported he was leaving. The message was he was stepping back from the senior role. For some reason it was reported as him leaving but this was not the case.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/1036374...-dodoro-to-step-back-ex-eagle-matt-rosa-joins

The Bombers have announced that Dodoro, who has been at the club full-time for a quarter of a century, will continue in his current job through the upcoming trade and draft periods before taking "a step back from his current senior role" and "transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward".

Assisting in the form of doing the contract negotiations with the player managers. The one skill set he is good at.

You would be surprised how many supporters do actually support him. Seems that most of his distractors are the ones around a few footy forums.
More dumbfounded than suprised at the support.

Are you pro dodoro?

Was quite annoyed with the club and the PR around it. We are a club and supporter base that accept mediocrity.

Performance is not in the criteria if you have any sort of link to the hird/sheedy era.

More dumbfounded than suprised at the support.

Are you pro dodoro?

Was quite annoyed with the club and the PR around it. We are a club and supporter base that accept mediocrity.

Performance is not in the criteria if you have any sort of link to the hird/sheedy era.
I am a bit neutral. I think the club should have made a call on him because they gave him total control between for a period and he IMO was mid range. Found some good players but never really nailed a period of 3 or so drafts in a row and made too many speculative selections. We where also well behind other clubs on the technology front until around 2020. In saying that I think there are also a lot of Essendon FC factors that have also been in play. Revolving door of coaches. Having Worsfold check out two years early and not really caring about the recruiting process. The saga ripped the hart out of a team on the verge of proving something. Poor administration looking after only the bottom line and leaving the football department under funded .
Combine all the club factors with a mid range operator and you get what we are. A mid range side that floats between 8th and 14th and bounces up and down year to year without ever taking the next step.
The people that do support Dodoro look at the 2012 - 2015 side and see the potential but say it was factors out of his control that killed it and our lack of player development spend and coaches have been more of a factor.
I think his faults have been not always picking competitive types .Not really having a focus on the balance of endurance athletes. Not really looking to balance the list out , for example picking good midfielders but they are all 180cm. Also not placing enough effort to find hard edge leaders. We are too nice.

I am a bit neutral. I think the club should have made a call on him because they gave him total control between for a period and he IMO was mid range. Found some good players but never really nailed a period of 3 or so drafts in a row and made too many speculative selections. We where also well behind other clubs on the technology front until around 2020. In saying that I think there are also a lot of Essendon FC factors that have also been in play. Revolving door of coaches. Having Worsfold check out two years early and not really caring about the recruiting process. The saga ripped the hart out of a team on the verge of proving something. Poor administration looking after only the bottom line and leaving the football department under funded .
Combine all the club factors with a mid range operator and you get what we are. A mid range side that floats between 8th and 14th and bounces up and down year to year without ever taking the next step.
The people that do support Dodoro look at the 2012 - 2015 side and see the potential but say it was factors out of his control that killed it and our lack of player development spend and coaches have been more of a factor.
I think his faults have been not always picking competitive types .Not really having a focus on the balance of endurance athletes. Not really looking to balance the list out , for example picking good midfielders but they are all 180cm. Also not placing enough effort to find hard edge leaders. We are too nice.
Think for once agree with everything above.

Is mid range at best, difference is that I get unbelievably frustrated that the club has accepted mid range performance for twenty years in the elite, ultra competitive world of afl football.

I honestly don't see how success is possible with that mindset and approach. We have tried the admin, coach, player turnover but won't do it with one of the most important roles at the club. It frustrates and dumbfounds me more than it probably should.

As it is what it is, need to learn to still enjoy watching them play whilst still realising success is not possible with dodo still there.

Think for once agree with everything above.

Is mid range at best, difference is that I get unbelievably frustrated that the club has accepted mid range performance for twenty years in the elite, ultra competitive world of afl football.

I honestly don't see how success is possible with that mindset and approach. We have tried the admin, coach, player turnover but won't do it with one of the most important roles at the club. It frustrates and dumbfounds me more than it probably should.

As it is what it is, need to learn to still enjoy watching them play whilst still realising success is not possible with dodo still there.
I think the last couple of years is the first time we have turned over coach / GM of football / CEO / President and board members all at the same time so there is a clear shift in focus. The biggest shift is Campbell for Vozzo . We now have a football focused CEO and not a numbers man.
We can have success with Dodoro doing the bit part role he has. I can cope most do not want to see him and the optics would be better if he was not there but they have given him the role that fits his skill set the best . Of course I can not argue that he should have no role at all but I do know his scope is limited now.

You can keep your head in the sand but he actually doesn't. That is 100% fact.
I have no real issue with people wanting him totally gone but facts are facts.
Scott / McPherson / Rosa / Vozzo have the input on FA and trade targets.
RFK / Rohan O'Brien and that team look after the draft.
Dodoro does the contract negotiations that have already been decided on by the above.
And one final fact. It was never reported he was leaving. The message was he was stepping back from the senior role. For some reason it was reported as him leaving but this was not the case.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/1036374...-dodoro-to-step-back-ex-eagle-matt-rosa-joins

The Bombers have announced that Dodoro, who has been at the club full-time for a quarter of a century, will continue in his current job through the upcoming trade and draft periods before taking "a step back from his current senior role" and "transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward".

Assisting in the form of doing the contract negotiations with the player managers. The one skill set he is good at.
Ive said this to you privately (maybe not my opinion anymore) that until he is completely 100% out of the club, people will think he is pulling strings in some capacity (most agree that he is a good talker, negotiator etc)

that is a fact as much as you want to stick your head in the sand

Remove this Banner Ad

Back