Game Day Southern Power Plymouth Argyle vs. Aged Care Development Sites - @ Richmond Oval

Have we lost yet?

• Yes

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 40 54.1%
  • Sack Hinkley

Votes: 49 66.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s it pal I was there that night all started at the west lakes end.
Martin was throwing him around like a rag doll. Never in my life have I seen shoulders so massive on a footballer Martin’s upper body was like a brick wall. Looking at the likes of him compared to todays bunch is laughable.

That’s it pal I was there that night all started at the west lakes end.
Martin was throwing him around like a rag doll. Never in my life have I seen shoulders so massive on a footballer Martin’s upper body was like a brick wall. Looking at the likes of him compared to todays bunch is laughable.
Marty Leslie 😍

Re-watched the replay from 2nd half onwards.

Several things became apparent

1. Butters is already our 2nd best mid.

Yes he has gone past boak.

2. Drew kickstarted our 2nd half dominance with a series of one in a million defensive stops and important touches. He had two smothers in the game that no one had any right to be able to get their hands too. He has Mr Fantastic from the Fantastic Four superhero arms amongst other super abilities.

He is not a regular human. He just cannot be.

3. The clurey hate for his game on the day seems even more bizarre on the re-watch.

Literally destroyed his opponents so badly that they’ll be ptsd’d for the first half of the year. Sheer domination.

4. The hate for Marshall’s game was bizarre. Contributed very well and set up several goals to go with the one he kicked. Barely put a foot wrong.

5. Georgiades stamped himself as our next franchise key forward that day. Life post Dixon? We’re fine.

6. Bonner is no longer a fringe player. He will play 22 games this year.

7. Finlayson will be a very serviceable 2nd ruck if we make that choice.

8. Our small forwards are a big problem, especially if gray doesn’t stay fit throughout the year.

9. On the re-watch Hayes didn’t even spend all of his already low 44% time on ground in the ruck, making his 19 hitouts all the more impressive. He’s going to get huge hitout numbers when he’s a 1st ruck.

Last edited:

2. Drew kickstarted our 2nd half dominance with a series of one in a million defensive stops and important touches. He had two spoils in the game that no one had any right to be able to get their hands too. He has Mr Fantastic from the Fantastic Four superhero arms amongst other super abilities.

3. The clurey hate for his game on the day seems even more bizarre on the re-watch.

Literally destroyed his opponents so badly that they’ll be ptsd’d for the first half of the year. Sheer domination.

4. The hate for Marshall’s game was bizarre. Contributed very well and set up several goals to go with the one he kicked. Barely put a foot wrong.

5. Georgiades stamped himself as our next franchise key forward that day. Life post Dixon? We’re fine.

8. Our small forwards are a big problem, especially if gray doesn’t stay fit throughout the year.

9. On the re-watch Hayes didn’t even spend all of his already low 44% time on ground in the ruck, making his 19 hitouts all the more impressive. He’s going to get huge hitout numbers when he’s a 1st ruck.
Drew is our Dustin Fletcher equivalent in the midfield 😃

In theory, you'd say that small forwards are the least of our problems with the talent of Gray, Fantasia, Motlop, Rozee, and Butters, but ...

In practice, Gray's on his last legs, Fantasia can't get on the park, Motlop's flakier than a puff pastry, Rozee's on a Wingard trajectory, and Butters is moving to the midfield.

In theory, you'd say that small forwards are the least of our problems with the talent of Gray, Fantasia, Motlop, Rozee, and Butters, but ...

In practice, Gray's on his last legs, Fantasia can't get on the park, Motlop's flakier than a puff pastry, Rozee's on a Wingard trajectory, and Butters is moving to the midfield.

Yep. Motlop is pretty much done. And he’s always been more a high half forward anyway. Gray is on his last legs. Butters a mid. Rozee plays higher up the ground more a half forward.

Fantasia is a pure small forward but injured.

Who’s coming through on our list in the position?

Farrell is more a wing / half forward
Mcintee is being tried as a small forward but he’s a undersized inside mid who we are trying to turn into a pressure tackling mid. Has a very poor narrow set of small forward skills. Basically offers zippyness and tackling inside 50 but a liability outside of that.
Dylan Williams is more a medium forward but probably the most natural deep forward out of all those names. Still trying to establish himself as an afl player.

I think we should have spent this preseason exploring Marty Frederick as a small forward. He’s way too far back in the backman pecking order and has some skills that might translate. At this stage Frederick will probably be delisted at the end of the year if he doesn’t get an afl game, which seems extremely unlikely as a defender.

2. Drew kickstarted our 2nd half dominance with a series of one in a million defensive stops and important touches. He had two spoils in the game that no one had any right to be able to get their hands too. He has Mr Fantastic from the Fantastic Four superhero arms amongst other super abilities.

Just a little bit hyperbolic to be saying Butters has gone past Boak on the basis of 2 pre season games where we have lost the midfield battle and where Boak has spent a bunch of time forward. It's a redundant argument anyway about who is best, second best or whatever but purely on the basis of consistent form over years I would still be selecting Boak second. Butters has been good however.

Also to suggest Marshall didn't put a foot wrong is... an optimistic way of looking at things, unless by that you mean he didn't make many steps. 9 disposals, a goal in junktime, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements and 67% DE is pretty meh for mine. And that's not to mention he let O'Brien and Murray have an absolute field day in terms of intercepting. Yes much of the intercepting came from poor i50 entries but it's still the main job of the key forward to get to the drop of the ball and make a contest and on that day Marshall was nowhere to be seen.

Agree with the rest. Maybe still a bit tentative in saying Bonner will play 22 games haha.

Just a little bit hyperbolic to be saying Butters has gone past Boak on the basis of 2 pre season games where we have lost the midfield battle and where Boak has spent a bunch of time forward. It's a redundant argument anyway about who is best, second best or whatever but purely on the basis of consistent form over years I would still be selecting Boak second. Butters has been good however.

Also to suggest Marshall didn't put a foot wrong is... an optimistic way of looking at things, unless by that you mean he didn't make many steps. 9 disposals, a goal in junktime, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements and 67% DE is pretty meh for mine. And that's not to mention he let O'Brien and Murray have an absolute field day in terms of intercepting. Yes much of the intercepting came from poor i50 entries but it's still the main job of the key forward to get to the drop of the ball and make a contest and on that day Marshall was nowhere to be seen.

Agree with the rest. Maybe still a bit tentative in saying Bonner will play 22 games haha.
I’ve got no doubt we’re easing boak through preseason. Butters is our number 2 mid going forward though. He’s just too important to our midfield right now as the guy who gets us going out of the midfield while boak will be more a grind guy.

Yeah Marshall did what he had to. Was a quality game without taking over. His 1 goal assist isn’t counting his kick to finlayson which he handed off to rozee. And how on earth would Marshall be responsible for O’Brien taking intercept marks galore? O’Brien sat deep gobbling up ports Hail Mary blind kicks forward. Blame Hinkley for that. Or the ruck who lets him go and instead sets up down the line outside 50 for the rebound kick (but that’s obviously coach instructions). Or the other key forwards who actually played inside 50 for the game (where O’Brien sets up to take those intercept marks) instead of the kf who played chf.
When Georgiades took that screamer it was Marshall who had worked deep and engaged O’Brien to stop him going for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked the bit where somehow Todd Marshall and Todd Marshall alone is responsible for every intercept mark taken by the Crows, including somehow the ones taken by their ruckman?

What a mark by Georgiades

Of course if you haven’t already watch it again, and watch who immediately goes to the guy who has been taking intercept marks all day and engages him and stops him from getting involved.

Todd was playing chf, and often not deep enough to be where O’Brien was taking marks all day.

But the rare time Todd gets deep (cause it was a shot on goal where drew took his time) he influenced the contest.

I liked the bit where somehow Todd Marshall and Todd Marshall alone is responsible for every intercept mark taken by the Crows, including somehow the ones taken by their ruckman?
I didn't say that, in fact I explicitly said Marshall wasn't solely responsible. The opposition ruckman will always be playing as a loose in defence in those situations, our ruckman will usually sit behind the ball in anticipation for the quick kick out. It's therefore the responsibility of (a) the players kicking the ball in to avoid the oppo ruckman (which was done poorly) and (b) the key forwards to get to the drop of the ball and compete. My opinion was that Marshall didn't do great at that.

Of course if you haven’t already watch it again, and watch who immediately goes to the guy who has been taking intercept marks all day and engages him and stops him from getting involved.

Todd was playing chf, and often not deep enough to be where O’Brien was taking marks all day.

But the rare time Todd gets deep (cause it was a shot on goal where drew took his time) he influenced the contest.

If Todd was playing CHF then is 6 effective disposals, 2 marks and 5 score involvements really a good or even OK CHF game?

When I first visited WA before I moved here I went to a WAFL game between Swan Districts and Claremont and Simon Beasley was the glamour full forward for SD, who was able to take marks like that one of Mitch's because he had a monster called Ron Boucher in the forward pocket 'clearing the way' for him. No way can you describe Todd Marshall as a monster, but he performed the same role there for Mitch, just in a more subtle way than Big Ron.

Maybe Charlie can be our monster, and let the blue flames fly for the ball. Except he'd no doubt get umpired out of the game.

Last edited:
Todd Marshall is responsible for global warming, COVID-19 and the war in Ukraine.

Todd Marshall is responsible for global warming, COVID-19 and the war in Ukraine.

Don't be ridiculous, everyone knows they're all Dan Andrews' fault.

I didn't say that, in fact I explicitly said Marshall wasn't solely responsible. The opposition ruckman will always be playing as a loose in defence in those situations, our ruckman will usually sit behind the ball in anticipation for the quick kick out. It's therefore the responsibility of (a) the players kicking the ball in to avoid the oppo ruckman (which was done poorly) and (b) the key forwards to get to the drop of the ball and compete. My opinion was that Marshall didn't do great at that.

If Todd was playing CHF then is 6 effective disposals, 2 marks and 5 score involvements really a good or even OK CHF game?
He never has and will never be a CHF.

At times he does the team things the problem I have with him is when it’s his turn to go he doesn’t.. he can’t hold a contested mark. But worryingly he can’t take a contested mark one on one he’s just not hard enough in the air. .he’s a clever in and out small fwd in a tall body. But we need him to be so much more. I reckon finalayson has gone way past him.

At times he does the team things the problem I have with him is when it’s his turn to go he doesn’t.. he can’t hold a contested mark. But worryingly he can’t take a contested mark one on one he’s just not hard enough in the air. .he’s a clever in and out small fwd in a tall body. But we need him to be so much more. I reckon finalayson has gone way past him.

It’s a bit of a myth that one.

Isn’t known as a contested marker, but is 22nd in the afl for contested marks by key forwards, and averaged as many contested marks as Ben king, daniher and Josh Kennedy. Also young lauded key forwards nick larkey and hipwood.

Was a whole 0.1 contested marks behind Georgiades.

Contested marking isn’t his strength, but it’s by no means a weakness either.

Back