Sports Sport you have never played but would like too/think you'd be alright at ?

Remove this Banner Ad

League.

Used to always dominate when we'd play touch and everyone agreed that you could kick on the last. Was always easy to mark overhead when everyone else went up to mark on the chest and chipping and chasing was easy too.

Was just good enough to head in toward the middle of the ground and set up the play without dominating. Wing was far too easy though and I was never that quick.

Found it easy to pass both ways as well. Struggled to make it spin correctly throwing left to right but could still get distance on it throwing it so it spun like a reverse drop punt.

Being an Australian male, I firmly believe I could have been a professional sportsman in pretty much any sport were it not for biased coaches, lack of motivation, lack of opportunities and/or injuries.

and dean cox, umpires and fox sports conspiring against you too ?? ;)

i was good at european handball in PE class. was a fun sport too.

Me too, was getting tagged at one stage (something that'd never happen in footy :eek:). Would love to get some mates together and play in an amateur league or something. Such a fast and entertaining game to play, except when you're goalie.

Would have to say motorsport. The old man took me go-karting a lot when I was young and I used to completely dominate but just did it for fun. I used to love watching it and following it too. But you need to invest a heap of money and time into getting anywhere in the sport and its too hard when youre raised in a humble lower class family.

Wish I was good at golf cos I think its a beautiful sport....but I completely and totally suck....

Being an Australian male, I firmly believe I could have been a professional sportsman in pretty much any sport were it not for biased coaches, lack of motivation, lack of opportunities and/or injuries.

Rompingwins? Is that you?

i was a league fullback.

but id have been a seriously good midfielder. AFL standard. ive seen the reserves up close, and i could have easily mixed it with them. standing at ground level i often see better choices than the ones they make. i see tackles i would have made and won the ball.

im only short but was very quick, best agility i ever saw of any player i played with or against, i timed jumps for bombs better than anyone i played with or against, great at getting to loose ball first, could read a game, was rarely injured, could run all day and was often frustrated that the game was so short.

yep, the older i get, the better i was...

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

As for the older you got the better you were comment. It was completely the other way around for me. I was always bigger and stronger than other kids as a youngster/early teen. Then puberty hit in for everybody and I got a bit uncoordinated/slow at my height and went a bit shitter in sports as a result.

i was a league fullback.

but id have been a seriously good midfielder. AFL standard. ive seen the reserves up close, and i could have easily mixed it with them. standing at ground level i often see better choices than the ones they make. i see tackles i would have made and won the ball.

im only short but was very quick, best agility i ever saw of any player i played with or against, i timed jumps for bombs better than anyone i played with or against, great at getting to loose ball first, could read a game, was rarely injured, could run all day and was often frustrated that the game was so short.

yep, the older i get, the better i was...

Woah I totally need to put you in my dreamteam of hindsight :thumbsu:

Was a very good footballer up until 14 or so. And then started everyone grew massive and I grew, but not enough in comparison, and then I stopped growing and everyone kept growing and then they were like twice my size onwards. Gave it up for soccer. Think if I actually worked at it, ate far more healthy (to help me grow) and hit the gym later I would of done pretty well for myself.

Was a very good footballer up until 14 or so. And then started everyone grew massive and I grew, but not enough in comparison, and then I stopped growing and everyone kept growing and then they were like twice my size onwards. Gave it up for soccer. Think if I actually worked at it, ate far more healthy (to help me grow) and hit the gym later I would of done pretty well for myself.

so what sport have you never played but would like to try?:confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

As for the older you got the better you were comment. It was completely the other way around for me. I was always bigger and stronger than other kids as a youngster/early teen. Then puberty hit in for everybody and I got a bit uncoordinated/slow at my height and went a bit shitter in sports as a result.

Sarcasm goes straight over your head doesn't it?

Ice Hockey - I would have loved to play this, but unfortunately my skating was nowhere near good enough. I played lacrosse for a number of years so the stick handling and physical contact wouldn't have been a problem. I thought I was a pretty good skater until I tried out with a local ice hockey team - the skating ability they have is amazing.

Baseball - I always thought I would be a good baseballer. I was a skillful cricket player, so naturally thought these skills would translate well to baseball. And I was right to an extent. In the lower grades where the pitchers can only throw straight I went really well, consistently having a batting average over 0.400.

Once I tried to play in the higher grades, including against some guys who have played professionally in the USA (even a couple of Major League pitchers), I was rubbish. It wasn't just the breaking balls that I had trouble hitting, it was the unbelievable control of both location and velocity that I found impossible to hit consistently. Not to mention guys who can hit close to 100 mph on the radar gun - that is one thing you never forget, hearing a baseball whiz by you at that speed.

Have tried most sports over the years, be it competitive, social, in school PE or just mucking around at lunchtime/with mates at the park. I'm not s**t at any sport bar rugby (too skinny), but cricket, netball (aka easiest sport ever) and arguably footy are the only ones I'm above average in.

Never had a crack at Hockey for some reason, seems a little like footy cross cricket to me. Kicking's my main weakness in footy but I can hit a ball so I reckon I'd be pretty good at it with practice. Will probably never get around to it as footy and cricket take up most of my time though.

In PE, i could generally pick up and play just about any sport and be pretty good at it. 1 glaring omission was tennis. It may have been subliminal, considering doing well at it makes you somewhat of a pansy, but i was just total rubbish at tennis.

Basketball i did pretty well at, used to kill the rebounds in our lunch time games.
Soccer i went pretty decent at too.
Stuff like European handball, or anything resembling footy or requiring pace i picked up pretty well too.
And if Prison Ball was a sport i have no doubt i'd be knocking at the door for being B&F.

Soccer.

Was always pretty good at it in high school and I play hockey which has similar structures and a similar emphasis on fitness.

Also reckon I'd be OK at Golf. P

Those kids who played handball (or something like it),

Did you ever play with kicking rules?

One year a phys ed teacher changed the rules: After ten thrown passes, you could have a drop punt. It was really popular, especially with the blokes who were into footy. That was a lot of fun as well, but two kids broke their legs and it was all over from there.

I play footy and cricket as it is, and hockey when I have a bye in footy but one sport I think I'd be good at is rugby.

I'm not especially big or quick footed but I think my strengths are my ability to stick a tackle/stand up in one and quick and clean hands in close.

I'm very much one of those guys who could be much better at what I do if I was your typical athlete. You get your athletic types who don't have the game, I'm a guy who has the game but not the athleticism.

Played a lot of European Hanball in primary school and in the Navy, would have loved to have played it in an organised competition.

As I got to my late teens early 20s I realised that I was born in the wrong state, I think I would have been a very good rugby league player, perhaps Union too.

I would loved to have played gridiron, think I would have been good at it.

Boxing is another that I would have loved to have done.

I wish I'd stuck at athletics beyond 13 instead of changing to cricket. I was a very good cricketer but think I would have been better at athletics with some encouragement, training and dedication.

Would love to play field hockey.

Dominated inter-school hockey and wanted to play ever since, just a shame it is on the same day as footy and usually in a different town.

I'd also love to give Rugby a go. I have never tried playing it properly but I kill when we play pick up games at school, usually against much bigger/older guys. No leagues in my town though.

I was pretty rubbish at sports in general at school but used to dominate field/indoor hockey for some reason, particularly field hockey.
Always went well at water polo too despite being a terrible swimmer.
One sport I would've loved to have done is gymnastics; i never joined-up though because I thought it was "girly" :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back