Preview St Kilda vs Western Bulldogs. Etihad Sat Night 7:25

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know all about forward pressure, especially against a rebounding team like the Dogs, but seriously I've never quite understood all the love on here for Nathan Wright. Ok the guy's tough and he tries his guts out but honestly I don't think he's in our best 25, let alone best 22.

I'd much sooner have a Lonie or an Eli in the side. We're automatically about 15 disposals better off and possibly a couple of goals too.

I just don't see Wright in our best side now or in the future. I think Shenton brings as much to the table as he does and he'll probably be gone next year.

Also Richo said in his presser that both Acres and McKenzie did good jobs against the Dees. In light of those comments it's hard to see either being dropped.

I know all about forward pressure, especially against a rebounding team like the Dogs, but seriously I've never quite understood all the love on here for Nathan Wright. Ok the guy's tough and he tries his guts out but honestly I don't think he's in our best 25, let alone best 22.

I'd much sooner have a Lonie or an Eli in the side. We're automatically about 15 disposals better off and possibly a couple of goals too.

I just don't see Wright in our best side now or in the future. I think Shenton brings as much to the table as he does and he'll probably be gone next year.

Also Richo said in his presser that both Acres and McKenzie did good jobs against the Dees. In light of those comments it's hard to see either being dropped.
15 disposals better? did they even get 15 in a game this year at AFL level? Let alone 15 more than wrights 13.

Disposals aside, he is picked for tackling, Lonie isn't strong enough yet and basically bounces off the opponent for all the effort he puts in. Wright puts people on their asses hard enough which stops them getting up and back into the play quickly.

Agree he probably isn't a part of the future but until Lonie/templeton are stronger he plays the role as good as anyone.

Being tackled by Lonie and Templeton is like being chased by Longer

It looks funny and is ineffective

It would be nice if our defensive forward offered more offensively but that's not why he's in the side

I'm guilty of being over sold on Murdoch, but I wonder if he could tried in that role

He has speed, would hurt in a tackle and gee could he be damaging offensively

Yeah 100% agree, people love Wright because he is gutsy and is a soldier, but they don't win you flags. Elite talent always wins flags.
Eli - needs another crack could not be playing any better in the magoos.

In terms of the game Saturday, we are a good chance should we decide to rock up to play no Stringer makes it easier, however, the pressure will need to be at its best. Doggies statistically have the best defence and it'll be interesting to see how our offence goes against this and should show us how far off we are. I'm also interested to see how our midfield tracks against theirs as their midfield goes relatively deep.
But I'll tip the doggies by 25.

If we drop Minch and Wright for Eli and Lonie we will get flogged.

Sorry but you absolutely need the pressure players to stop the opposition from getting a foot hold. We didn't win last weekend by having players that prance around the outside. Seriously do people think that getting a pile of possessions in the vfl adds up to being ready for afl. Eli is growing but is still not ready for the physicality to crack in against big bodied, mature players. Lonie is still way off IMO. Dribble goals from the pocket don't cut it. If you can't stay in the contest and manically chase down your opponent you don't contribute.

Neither have any physical size or strength to keep chasing and impact the contest.

At present
Minch and Wright = Chase, tackle, hurt
Eli and Lonie = Chase, giggle, flirt

I've said it at the start of this thread, but again would be very disappointed to see Wright omitted this week. If one or two of Sav, Lonie or Eli are to come in then Sinclair, McKenzie or (less preferable) Minch should be the ones to make way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being tackled by Lonie and Templeton is like being chased by Longer

It looks funny and is ineffective

It would be nice if our defensive forward offered more offensively but that's not why he's in the side

I'm guilty of being over sold on Murdoch, but I wonder if he could tried in that role

He has speed, would hurt in a tackle and gee could he be damaging offensively
Don't think he has the smarts around goal like a minchi

If what people are saying is true that one of the Bulldogs strengths is half back defence to attack transition we really need great delivery into the F50 more than ever before, so I'd like to keep Minch and his low spearing passes in the side, but no idea who makes way for Savage besides maybe Sinclair. We're alright with Wright for the moment, I'd leave him in. Really like Sinclair he had an awesome 2015, but last in, first out. Keep the momentum. Him and Lonie have got years to develop, not everyone can hit the heights immediately.

Just to play devil's advocate on Wrighty, gee he is bloody atrocious a lot of the time when he gets his hands on the ball.

Just re-watched the first quarter earlier and in that one quarter alone, he of course missed that sitter shot for goal in the first few mins (when he was running into an open goal and missed from 12m out, because he didn't have the confidence to kick a drop punt and instead put it across his boot and tried to kick a low "snap" from directly in front, despite running straight at goal- WTF?); then he had a kick into the forward 50 after a mark/free that was just a nothing kick, with no penetration/distance, that went to nobody and was quickly rebounded out; then he gave off a genuine hospital-handpass to Ross who was clearly about to be tackled/crunched and then he had another handball near our back 50 to Sinclair, who was about 5m away and he missed him by about a metre or two and it went to the two from Melbourne who were standing nearby, 60m out from their goal.

I also remember later in the game on one occasion he got his hands on the ball another time and he again just quickly threw it across the boot and tried to snap it into the forward line, when he had two on the outside of the pack just near him that were open and free for the easy handball (with loads of space in front of them to run it into our forward 50 or so) and his snapped kick didn't get enough trajectory on it to get above whoever was in front of him and it was smothered, costing us the chance to have a really damaging forward 50 entry.

Yes his tackling, speed, physicality and so-on are great, but he regularly makes Gears and Gilbo look like Scott Pendlebury when he gets the ball in his hands and he's now resorting to trying to snap the ball, because he has so little confidence in kicking a simple drop punt.

So if it comes down to McKenzie v Wright for a defensive forward position, because Savage comes back in, I think I'm voting D-Mac. Not sure we need all of Mav, Wright, Minch and D-Mac, if the likes of Ross, Sinclair, Acres and Dunstan are having over 20 pressure acts each, like they did on the weekend.

Minch might have gotten only the 6 disposals, but he had 16 pressure acts in just 59% game time and his disposals were pure quality, hence my being surprised to read that he had only the 6 when I got home. The reason I believed he had more of an impact than his disposals would suggest was that the disposals he did get were excellent, including two very good kicks into the forward 50 that were marked and it's no surprise to see that he went at 100% DE.

Wrighty on the other hand went at just 46% DE for his 13 touches, meaning I think that only 6 of them were effective, the same number as Minch. Just quietly, I'd rather Minch's 6 disposals to Nath's 6 effective ones and it's probably better to be not getting it more, than to be getting it more, but turning it over multiple times when you do.

Will be interesting to see who comes out if Sav is ready and there are no forced outs. I'd definitely be keeping Sinclair in if we only make one change.

Last edited:
Like a few have said, I've also got major concerns with Lonie & Templetons ability to stick tackles. Its one thing to add pressure but if the oppo players see you're not strong enough to stick tackles you'll get found out quickly & they'll simply target you when trying to break thru defence. Pressure vs skill....gotta say in today's footy ability to add defensive pressure (including tackling effectively) supersedes skill for the majority of players. For example our most skilled player (Billings) was dropped due to ineffectiveness to apply defensive pressure.

TLDR
Eli & Lonie have a way to go before being promoted ahead of Mckenzie, Minch & Wright IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back