Preview Round 2, 2023: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 25th March, 7:25PM AEDT

Who Wins?

• Bulldogs

Votes: 27 44.3%
  • Saints

Votes: 34 55.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dogs aren’t renowned for intercept marking. I having said that we can only really get goals from our small forwards. Really can’t see cordy or caminiti being able to get more than 2 between them.
They didnt have Jones & Bruce in their defence last year, I think this week will be similiar to last. Hopefully our forwards can get on their bike and lead up at the ball a bit more, as last week they were forced under the ball a bit too easy. The one thing we know about Bruce is he doesnt have a tank so if our forwards can make him work up and back he will blow up.

I doubt it will happen given that they are named only as an emergency, but I wouldnt be against bringing in Sharman or Windhager over Butler. Particularly if our delivery forward is the same as last week. Windhager is good when it hits the ground and Sharman might just stretch their defence. Butler brings defensive pressure but he is just not hitting the score board enough or impacting games.

Last edited:

Peris obviously improved.
Well, his disposal could only improve from what I've seen! Am seriously yet to see him come close to hitting a target. Didn't see this VFL praccy match people are talking about, admittedly.
Hope he comes good though, and puts on a few kgs in the gym.

Well, his disposal could only improve from what I've seen! Am seriously yet to see him come close to hitting a target. Didn't see this VFL praccy match people are talking about, admittedly.
Hope he comes good though, and puts on a few kgs in the gym.
My neighbour saw the VFL prac match and says nobody really stood out.

Liam Jones cleared to play so that will help the Dogs defence, we need to keep him accountable so he isn't allowed intercept marks which is his strength.

Maybe Cordy could play a defensive forward type of role on him.

Jones will play on whomever the Doggies want to play him on. That's how defending works. We just need to ensure he's not dropping off and when he does enter a contest, we don't lose it.
Bring the ball to ground and let the smalls go to work. Their defensive weakness is their lack of mobility. We have to make the most of that if we're going to win.

Seb is a huge in if he's 100% fit. Really interested to see how he goes under Ross. Had an underrated season last year.
The fact that Bytel is out and Windhager held over as the sub suggests that Ross could have the nullifying role, which we know he has performed very well at in the past.

Peris on the emerg?

Well theres a big surprise
Peris got a favourable mention from Ross Lyon in the press conference this week too. I think Ross sees something there that he likes, and I'm guessing it's something closer to a Clinton Jones than a Kysiah Pickett.

We played a good defensive game last week to beat Freo, whose best forward was a crumber, but this week we will need a bit more attack and a bit more marking in the forward half, as Freo easily marked a lot of stuff that came into our forward half. I think our lack of a strong KPF might find us out, but I hope not. Close game.

Freo had more tall backs with more intercept marking ability. All of Cox, Chapman, Young and Ryan are good interceptors. Not sure you can say the same for Bruce and Jones/Keath is more you're Dougal type where they can intercept but often are playing on the best forward and are forced to spoil. I rate Freo's backline far more than WB so it isn't a stretch to think we can kick more than 10 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liam Jones cleared to play so that will help the Dogs defence, we need to keep him accountable so he isn't allowed intercept marks which is his strength.

Maybe Cordy could play a defensive forward type of role on him.
Make sure we test his shoulder out real early

Wasn't on his Pat Malone. I will be interested to see how he goes for Lions. Very good VFL player, and barely got 2 games in a row in the 1sts and either didn't get clear direction on his role or didn't understand the directions based on his last game
Or he wasn’t good enough. Never saw anything from him to suggest he was just depth. Good luck to him though. Hope he plays a very good game but his time with us was certainly up.

Freo had more tall backs with more intercept marking ability. All of Cox, Chapman, Young and Ryan are good interceptors. Not sure you can say the same for Bruce and Jones/Keath is more you're Dougal type where they can intercept but often are playing on the best forward and are forced to spoil. I rate Freo's backline far more than WB so it isn't a stretch to think we can kick more than 10 goals.
I have no doubt freo had a better backline than the dogs but I also think freo had a better forward line than us yet we won. I still think it will be hard for us to score because it really can only be done by our smalls and mediums up forward. If 2 forwards can’t really kick goals it’s hard to manufacture a lot more 10 goals.

Peris got a favourable mention from Ross Lyon in the press conference this week too. I think Ross sees something there that he likes, and I'm guessing it's something closer to a Clinton Jones than a Kysiah Pickett.

It's those rockets in his boots I think. Pace is always attractive to coaches.

If Jack does get a game he will probably be the fastest player of all time (given his PBs as a junior in track and field). Ross Lyon can no doubt see the benefit of developing him into a defensive small forward or midfield tagger.

(Barry Besanko , Neil’s brother, played three games with Essendon. He was probably the only other player with similar pace to Peris.)

Last edited:
From the vault, and not germane to this thread but no one is reading the Random Discussion thread, does anyone remember the guy who sold peanuts at Moorabbin back in the day? He used to drag a hessian sack around full of peanuts in packs.
Anyone remember him? His name?

From the vault, and not germane to this thread but no one is reading the Random Discussion thread, does anyone remember the guy who sold peanuts at Moorabbin back in the day? He used to drag a hessian sack around full of peanuts in packs.
Anyone remember him? His name?
I remember him from princess park

Looked quick this morning

Z0MlYft.gif

I reckon he was serviceable and never got many chances. Poorly developed IMO. He's got very nice traits, good kick, can mark, good closing speed accountable. He's played seniors only when we have a KPB go down and has never got to run around as a third tall in a less responsible role. I think that there is enough there to work with. He could surprise a few if he gets a run a of games and builds confidence.
WAS as strong as Ox and fast as one.

I remember him from princess park

I don't know if it was the same guy but the guy that sold them at the soccer back in the day still sells them outside AAMI stadium. I asked him if he was the same guy and confirmed. Carried a sack and and chucked paper bags of nuts for coins. Probs the same guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back