Streaming Star Trek: Discovery

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm, seems like I'm in the minority then. Watched the first 25-30 minutes of the pilot and didn't really enjoy it all that much. I will continue to watch it, but I felt that the special effects really overshadowed everything else.

Have faith, the show takes a new direction in the third ep when Michael joins the crew of the Discovery.

Also - people who complain it's too 'war' for Star Trek - do they forget the Dominion War arc in DS9?!

I did like the part where he said they absorb culture, but the danger for mine is that every Klingon be a cookie cutter character.

I've been conditioned by shows like Game of Thrones where anything lacking nuance seems phoned in. Still early days of course just a bit wary.

Didn't like the albino Klingon? He had a fair amount of depth to his character.

Want to love this show, but it hasn't got me yet. Too many annoying little things in the first two episodes. Found the two leads acting left a lot to be desired. Didn't really like the Michael (what's up with that name for a girl, also?) actor in the Walking Dead, and I don't really like her yet here either.

The visuals are spectacular, but hopefully they don't overdo the battle side of things. Early days, but I'm sure they'll be back to exploring formula once they get the Discovery.

never ever got into Star Trek, but decided to watch.

enjoyed the first 2 episodes, and will keep watching.

its all pretty new to me.

I think this is the audience they tried to capture with the first two eps.

I think we'll see it fall into more Star Trek style plots in future episodes once they have people hooked.

Star Trek pilots have always been a bit more out there anyway.

I saw it, I enjoyed it. A couple of nods to Star Trek of old, but plenty of new special effects and action. Some good old Star Trek moralising as well between Burnham and Georgiou, where both sides had valid points. A little unsure about the jump from the opening to the rest of the show, but will see how it plays out.

Love the preview of the upcoming episodes. Can't wait to see Rainn Wilson's performance.

what are the chances of it coming on free-to-air tv in the next few years?

If the CBS sale goes thorough may find its way on to Ten maybe, as it’s on CBS’s streaming channel.

Watched the first episode, didn’t mind it. Looks like they’ve approached it the same way they did Stargate SGU. Like Stargate, wasn’t a religious watcher of the original series despite being a hardcore sci fi nerd.

That was a great episode - could have been the pilot.

I thought Tilly added some lightness, and Lorca had a couple of one-liners

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This really is an intense show, really needs a foil to offer some humor as these people take everything way too seriously. Third episode wasn't as big as the opening two, but it was cool to learn
Michael grew up with Spock.

We already knew this. :)

That was a great episode - could have been the pilot.

I thought Tilly added some lightness, and Lorca had a couple of one-liners

Yeah agreed, could have used the pilot as flashbacks throughout the season.

My biggest problem with this so far is I don't like Michael, and if they don't soften her some it's going to be hard to feel empathy for her as the plot twists happen. I also find the extreme intensity of the show is not very Star Trek, but it does have movie-like special effects and overall the acting is very good. It'll be interesting to see how this develops. I like the show, but can see why it's polarizing Star Trek fans.

This really is an intense show, really needs a foil to offer some humor as these people take everything way too seriously. Third episode wasn't as big as the opening two, but it was cool to learn
Michael grew up with Spock.
I thought there was plenty of humour in the episode. Mostly throwaway one liners but that's all that's needed.

As for Burnham, I don't mind her, mostly because I don't quite understand how anyone could blame her for the war. She seems hard done by.

I thought there was plenty of humour in the episode. Mostly throwaway one liners but that's all that's needed.

As for Burnham, I don't mind her, mostly because I don't quite understand how anyone could blame her for the war. She seems hard done by.

She's a bit weird though, I suppose she's been re-integrated with humans for 7 years, but even Spock retains his Vulcan-ism longer than she does!

She's a bit weird though, I suppose she's been re-integrated with humans for 7 years, but even Spock retains his Vulcan-ism longer than she does!
She was born human, then spent seven years with Georgiou trying to bring out her humanity, with some time spent on Vulcan in between. She probably should be more human than Vulcan.

She was born human, then spent seven years with Georgiou trying to bring out her humanity, with some time spent on Vulcan in between. She probably should be more human than Vulcan.
I guess so, I thought she'd be more Vulcan after so much time there.

So she travels 2,000 km in a space suit in 7 minutes... and slows down from 20,000 kmph in about 3 seconds.

Im okay with inertial dampers on giant ships, but in space suits?

And the Klingon crap. So boring and dumb.

At least they are keeping up the tradition of every single series being worse than the series before.

So she travels 2,000 km in a space suit in 7 minutes... and slows down from 20,000 kmph in about 3 seconds.

Im okay with inertial dampers on giant ships, but in space suits?

And the Klingon crap. So boring and dumb.

At least they are keeping up the tradition of every single series being worse than the series before.
More like keeping up the tradition of a patchy pilot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back