Streaming Star Trek: Discovery

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, critics in 1965 had zero clue what science fiction was. Certainly more adult themed science fiction.
Most of them were from the 90s though. I guess my point is pilots generally don't follow the tone the show later adopts as the characters get fleshed out.

Have people seen the theory that this is set in the mirror universe?

Spoilers ahead....

Some random thoughts...

- I always thought Klingons would be more honourable than to pretend to bend the knee in subterfuge like that. I always thought of them more in the Ned Stark mould of preferring to stubbornly die than diminish their own honour. I'm not some diehard who's seen every ep of every series though so I may be mistaken.

- I do like that the Klingon arc has it's own storyline going on instead of just being the enemy 'out there' who only appear when they're in conflict with the protagonists. You could cut the sexual tension with a knife between those two when they were aboard the dead Starfleet ship. I'm not sure I'm keen on ever seeing a Klingon sex scene though.

- Speaking of Ned Stark, is this the Star Trek universe's version of GoT or something? I was not expecting a major character to die so early. It was way too early actually, too soon for us to have built up an emotional connection yet. Could have been a powerful moment if left until later in the season when she was well and truly ensconced as a main character.

- Putting aside how silly the premise of using a bug as some omniscient navigator seems, it has thrown up some interesting new themes with the animal cruelty angle. Surely they could invent a less painful way to access the creature's subconscious than whatever that torturous device is?

- So I'm assuming this is either some kind of pre-emptive reboot that isn't part of the canon of later versions of Star Trek, or else the series goes on to explore why that technology is unethical/unviable for use in the long run. Otherwise all the later ships should have been using this technology to materialise wherever they want.

Spoilers ahead....

Some random thoughts...

- I always thought Klingons would be more honourable than to pretend to bend the knee in subterfuge like that. I always thought of them more in the Ned Stark mould of preferring to stubbornly die than diminish their own honour. I'm not some diehard who's seen every ep of every series though so I may be mistaken.

- I do like that the Klingon arc has it's own storyline going on instead of just being the enemy 'out there' who only appear when they're in conflict with the protagonists. You could cut the sexual tension with a knife between those two when they were aboard the dead Starfleet ship. I'm not sure I'm keen on ever seeing a Klingon sex scene though.

- Speaking of Ned Stark, is this the Star Trek universe's version of GoT or something? I was not expecting a major character to die so early. It was way too early actually, too soon for us to have built up an emotional connection yet. Could have been a powerful moment if left until later in the season when she was well and truly ensconced as a main character.

- Putting aside how silly the premise of using a bug as some omniscient navigator seems, it has thrown up some interesting new themes with the animal cruelty angle. Surely they could invent a less painful way to access the creature's subconscious than whatever that torturous device is?

- So I'm assuming this is either some kind of pre-emptive reboot that isn't part of the canon of later versions of Star Trek, or else the series goes on to explore why that technology is unethical/unviable for use in the long run. Otherwise all the later ships should have been using this technology to materialise wherever they want.

There is a theory that this is in the Mirror Universe, but I'm not so sure, so I do think the technology must fail/be too dangerous. If the Discovery is going to be the ship we see for presumably 7 seasons (that'd be the aim based on all other ST shows bar SE and TOS) it can't just be flying around jumping to wherever it wants in the Universe.

I thought this weeks episode was better again, and that gives me hope for the series. I worry this technology of "jumping" in not cannon and wonder how it fits ten years before TOS starts. I'll have to wait and see how it plays out I guess. But this series is not very Star Trek so far. I find the new look Klingon's OTT, and unnecessary. It must cost them a fortune and take considerable time to put all that makeup on, and those suits they wear are stupid. The actors can hardly move in them.

Last edited:
There is a theory that this is in the Mirror Universe, but I'm not so sure, so I do think the technology must fail/be too dangerous. If the Discovery is going to be the ship we see for presumably 7 seasons (that'd be the aim based on all other ST shows bar SE and TOS) it can't just be flying around jumping to wherever it wants in the Universe.
I read that it was explicitly set in the original universe, so surely the tech must fail or be unethical.

I read that it was explicitly set in the original universe, so surely the tech must fail or be unethical.

I've also heard from someone close to the production that the Mirror Universe does play into things this season, so I guess we'll see what happens. Maybe they use the tech and it takes them to the MU.

Cool ending that ep too.

Maybe the origins of the mirror universe link?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the mirror universe the Terran Empire ruled what is Federation space. Ergo, this series is not set in the mirror universe.

I meant a link for the two universes to interact.

That was TOS that created that link, as referenced in DS9.

EDIT: Basically my understanding is that the transporter incident in TOS allowed people to realise travel between the two worlds was possible. In DS9, a character comes across to the main universe and specifically mentions Kirk's encounter as the thing that made them realise the link.

I haven't seen this week's DIS yet so I might be missing something.

Last edited:
They even swear in this Star Trek!

That's f**king cool.

Nah. As an old school Trek fan all it does is emphasise that this show may call itself Star Trek but it really isn't.

Nah. As an old school Trek fan all it does is emphasise that this show may call itself Star Trek but it really isn't.

"Hell" was considered swearing when it was used in TOS. Censors initially objected to it.

They swore in several films, Picard swore in French during TNG, etc.

It is well and truly Trek for me, as a long-time fan, and very good Trek at that.

Announced today that it has been extended for a second season. Hope Isaacs stays in it - he is great, and his character got some great development in yesterday's episode.

I liked yesterdays ep, feels like the show is settling into its rhythm now.

"Hell" was considered swearing when it was used in TOS. Censors initially objected to it.

They swore in several films, Picard swore in French during TNG, etc.

It is well and truly Trek for me, as a long-time fan, and very good Trek at that.

Announced today that it has been extended for a second season. Hope Isaacs stays in it - he is great, and his character got some great development in yesterday's episode.
The main plot wasn't the best of the season but the character development was superb. I picked Lorca's motivation the second he suggested the admiral for the mission and will turn his character on its head, imo. I also loved Sarek's reveal to Burnham. I wasn't a fan of shoehorning Sarek into the show, but the reveal had the benefit of making sense in the show and adding layers to the antipathy between Spock and Sarek in TOS. Not an easy thing to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back