Movie Star Wars - Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker - Spoilers and Rumors

Remove this Banner Ad

And a rip off of ROTJ.

ROTJ sorta just showed people celebrating, which would have been acceptable.

The Star Destroyers against all logic going down was too much, as was the refusal to show any PT locations. Maybe JJ is just a damaged fanboy as well deep down?

Last edited:

I'm still flabbergasted.

The idea that James Gunn's sacking was met with an audience and industry wide 'not to worry, lets carry on' is one of the hottest takes in here.
I’m never flabbergasted that you misread points I make into completely different points. I never said there wasn’t a fan reaction, I said no one assumed Marvel was in trouble because they sacked Gunn. Whether they rehired him or not, the narrative would remain that Marvel is fine. If Star Wars lose a director, the narrative is it’s lurching from one crisis to the next.

I’m never flabbergasted that you misread points I make into completely different points. I never said there wasn’t a fan reaction, I said no one assumed Marvel was in trouble because they sacked Gunn. Whether they rehired him or not, the narrative would remain that Marvel is fine. If Star Wars lose a director, the narrative is it’s lurching from one crisis to the next.

The narrative was the Guardians of the Galaxy branch of it was ****ed as his style was very central to it's success, so yeah while I guess the other films in the franchise would have continued on, the ones he was directly responsible for were in quite a bit of trouble without him.

Like it or not, all current Star Wars films and narrative are more linked up than the MCU. Everything has followed a core setting and characters. Every film has had Star Wars in the title, therefore the failure to coherently manage the production of a smaller % films is an issue. In five movies they've sacked two directors from two movies, hired another guy to do significant reshoots of another film, and also lost two writers of a future planned trilogy that was scene as a big signing at the time.

Three outta five plus one. I'd like to see how that compared to MCU.

The narrative was the Guardians of the Galaxy branch of it was f’ed as his style was very central to it's success, so yeah while I guess the other films in the franchise would have continued on, the ones he was directly responsible for were in quite a bit of trouble without him.

Like it or not, all current Star Wars films and narrative are more linked up than the MCU. Everything has followed a core setting and characters. Every film has had Star Wars in the title, therefore the failure to coherently manage the production of a smaller % films is an issue. In five movies they've sacked two directors from two movies, hired another guy to do significant reshoots of another film, and also lost two writers of a future planned trilogy that was scene as a big signing at the time.

Three outta five plus one. I'd like to see how that compared to MCU.
Star Wars under Disney has also made $6b in five films, that’s a little under 30 per cent of the total MCU (23 films). Never see that in the narrative.

Anyways, my initial post referred to 2015/16, where it could easily have been said Marvel was in trouble due to a combination of events. Now they can sack and rehire directors and people will say ‘in Fiege we trust’. Lucas film has some issues but a lot of it is driven by the same loud group of fans. If they had simply stuck to their guns, ignored the critics and delivered a better film, the narrative would be better than it is now. Panicking has made their situation worse.

Star Wars under Disney has also made $6b in five films, that’s a little under 30 per cent of the total MCU (23 films). Never see that in the narrative.

Anyways, my initial post referred to 2015/16, where it could easily have been said Marvel was in trouble due to a combination of events. Now they can sack and rehire directors and people will say ‘in Fiege we trust’. Lucas film has some issues but a lot of it is driven by the same loud group of fans. If they had simply stuck to their guns, ignored the critics and delivered a better film, the narrative would be better than it is now. Panicking has made their situation worse.

Because people didn't trust in KK from the get go and it looks like their mistrust was proven correct?

Remember they panicked before TLJ was even released! You act like this is a recent failure because it suits your person preference, but it was falling apart before the movie you liked came out and other people didn't like it. It's a shambles.

Because people didn't trust in KK from the get go and it looks like their mistrust was proven correct?

Remember they panicked before TLJ was even released! You act like this is a recent failure because it suits your person preference, but it was falling apart before the movie you liked came out and other people didn't like it. It's a shambles.
If that is true, you have to wonder why people wouldn’t trust in someone they know nothing about other than she has worked on some of the biggest movies of our generation :think:

Personally, I don’t think she ever had a Fiege-like role. So either she didn’t put someone in that role, which is a mistake (only if you’re planning a connected universe of films) or Filoni has been that guy and he’s equally responsible, yet no one seems to have a go at him.

If that is true, you have to wonder why people wouldn’t trust in someone they know nothing about other than she has worked on some of the biggest movies of our generation :think:

Personally, I don’t think she ever had a Fiege-like role. So either she didn’t put someone in that role, which is a mistake (only if you’re planning a connected universe of films) or Filoni has been that guy and he’s equally responsible, yet no one seems to have a go at him.

She's the head of Lucasfilm, that is really only responsible for one thing now and that is Star Wars media. Feige was also working on Marvel movies across different studios before the MCU was a thing. KK had no such history with Star Wars which could be a reason.

Most of KK's success has come with Spielberg collaboration, is she really a great producer, or lucky to fall in with a great filmmaker?

His arc was the only thing I liked across all three movies.

If he lived and was redeemed to be the last surviving Skywalker then he would’ve been the perfect character imo.

Unfortunately Disney had to play it safe.
Would've preferred this time around if he kept going dark and darker. The redemption arc thing is too hackneyed and it's a bit fresh redeeming him for all he did in the ST / Luke's academy (retconned too lol), and also having Reylo exist after everything he did to her.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His arc was the only thing I liked across all three movies.

I actually enjoyed the trilogy on some level, mostly. I'm not saying it's a great trilogy, but it sort of half is, at least.

I enjoyed the arc of all 'new' main characters. Finn and Poe had progressive development and were memorable. I'm not saying they are Han Solo or Chewie, but they are solid characters and I enjoyed the concept of a Storm Trooper turning back to the light. I liked Poe and BB-8 as a team, it worked.

I didn't mind Rey, I think that the idea of her not knowing her past and being a scavenger was a good idea. Her being great at everything was annoying, but it didn't overly bother me. Her being a palatine was a fun concept.

Ben/Kylo the standout character, very good arc, two sides of the coin, masked and unmasked, clever idea, i dig!

Han and Chewie, possibly the hilight performance of the original cast, even though Han only did one film, he was at his best!! One of the hilights of the trilogy for me.

Palpatine, clever idea, him as the puppet master the whole time, though a very out-there concept of the trilogy that not all would agree with, it was a twist i didn't mind, considering the abstractness of the story.

Leia was serviceable, she did her job predictably well the whole trilogy.

Rose, I didn't mind her, I actually had no issue at all and she probably could have had more scenes in TROS.

Maz Kanata, I really liked her, great new character, used well in the story, memorable, looked cool, etc..

C-3PO/R2D2 - memorable performances to be honest, great in TROS.

Luke, I actually enjoyed the idea of him being a recluse after what occurred at the training facility. Him being reclusive for a period of time doesn't mean he couldn't come back!! It was interesting, even if Hamill or fans didn't see it as a predictable arc. Alas, I really wanted to see him in some sabre duels, that was disappointing and he probably deserved at least 2 complete performances of the 3 films.

DJ(Del Toro), I really liked him as a character, completely underused!!!

Holdo, I didn't mind her, even though she was obnoxious and frustrating sometimes, it's Laura Dern from Jurassic Park fame, hard for me to not like her.

Hux, a bit too campy, like he was doing monty python or something, lol. He was ok, I liked the idea of him turning, but, could have been a better character.

Snoke, I didn't enjoy the arc at all. It didn't make a lot of sense, even though his scenes in TLJ were memorable. His ending didn't make a lot of sense, so soon.

Phasma, clearly a joke character completely misused and dissapointing arc overall.

Knights of Ren, underused, needed to be featured in TLJ on some level, just so we know why they are written into the story and for the arc to be more complete, more scenes with Kylo. Even if they had more scenes in TROS.

Lor San Tekka, again, great character, but we could have seen more of him and developed more emotion for his place in the story a bit more.

Last edited:
I actually enjoyed the trilogy on some level, mostly. I'm not saying it's a great trilogy, but it sort of half is, at least.

I enjoyed the arc of all 'new' main characters. Finn and Poe had progressive development and were memorable. I'm not saying they are Han Solo or Chewie, but they are solid characters and I enjoyed the concept of a Storm Trooper turning back to the light. I liked Poe and BB-8 as a team, it worked.

I didn't mind Rey, I think that the idea of her not knowing her past and being a scavenger was a good idea. Her being great at everything was annoying, but it didn't overly bother me. Her being a palatine was a fun concept.

Ben/Kylo the standout character, very good arc, two sides of the coin, masked and unmasked, clever idea, i dig!

Han and Chewie, possibly the hilight performance of the original cast, even though Han only did one film, he was at his best!! One of the hilights of the trilogy for me.

Palpatine, clever idea, him as the puppet master the whole time, though a very out-there concept of the trilogy that not all would agree with, it was a twist i didn't mind, considering the abstractness of the story.

Rose, I didn't mind her, I actually had no issue at all and she probably could have had more scenes in TROS.

Maz Kanata, I really liked her, great new character, used well in the story, memorable, looked cool, etc..

Luke, I actually enjoyed the idea of him being a recluse after what occurred at the training facility. Him being reclusive for a period of time doesn't mean he couldn't come back!! It was interesting, even if Hamill or fans didn't see it as a predictable arc. Alas, I really wanted to see him in some sabre duels, that was disappointing and he probably deserved at least 2 complete performances of the 3 films.

Holdo, I didn't mind her, even though she was obnoxious and frustrating sometimes, it's Laura Dern from Jurassic Park fame, hard for me to not like her.

Hux, a bit too campy, like he was doing monty python or something, lol. He was ok, I liked the idea of him turning, but, could have been a better character.

Snoke, I didn't enjoy the arc at all. It didn't make a lot of sense, even though his scenes in TLJ were memorable. His ending didn't make a lot of sense, so soon.

Phasma, clearly a joke character completely misused and dissapointing arc overall.

Knights of Ren, underused, needed to be featured in TLJ on some level, just so we know why they are written into the story and for the arc to be more complete, more scenes with Kylo. Even if they had more scenes in TROS.

Lor San Tekka, again, great character, but we could have seen more of him and developed more emotion for his place in the story a bit more.
Too many humans in the ST?

People like to make out this is the worst trilogy ever but there’s a fair bit to like. The acting, special effects, set pieces etc are all very solid. Most people enjoyed TFA, some people loved TLJ and some people hated it, then you can almost reverse a lot of those people for TROS. Two out of three ain’t bad. The disappointment is that the trilogy doesn’t hang together greatly. That, coupled with people’s various expectations, has them overreacting a little.

I enjoyed TFA, thought TLJ was the best ST movie since ESB and was disappointed in TROS (though it’s not like I hated everything about it, just some of the big story beats). While I’m not one of those people that likes to remove things from canon, if I call it at the end of TLJ, we have a pretty great story and blank slate for a new universe.

I think the four biggest mistakes were not killing Leia in VIII, not leaving Luke alive until IX, copying the OT too much and yes, I'm going to say it, bringing back the Emperor and his McGuffin fleet. Given the story they went for, I understand, so I did enjoy his scenes because he's such a great character.

However, if I was going to kill off Snoke as Rian did, or I was instructed to, then I'm making Rey and Ben switch sides because we already saw Rey beat Ben in 7 and that took away his formidability for me and many others. It's like if Luke had have won in ESB.

I think the four biggest mistakes were not killing Leia in VIII, not leaving Luke alive until IX, copying the OT too much and yes, I'm going to say it, bringing back the Emperor and his McGuffin fleet. Given the story they went for, I understand, so I did enjoy his scenes because he's such a great character.

However, if I was going to kill off Snoke as Rian did, or I was instructed to, then I'm making Rey and Ben switch sides because we already saw Rey beat Ben in 7 and that took away his formidability for me and many others. It's like if Luke had have won in ESB.
Rey only beat him in 7 because he’d been shot in the chest by Chewie and was damn near dead tbf haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back