Opinion Stevie J a good get? Yes/No?

Remove this Banner Ad

For those who get Fox its Stevie J day today...Must be pretty cool to have a whole channel dedicated to yourself lol....In breaks today I wonder if the boys will take a peek

For those who get Fox its Stevie J day today...Must be pretty cool to have a whole channel dedicated to yourself lol....In breaks today I wonder if the boys will take a peek
Yesterday they had a Jezza Cameron day.
So he rates higher than Stevie J.

Our forward line has been desperate for some leadership which is why during the trade period we had discussions Whitecross, Monfries and Stevie and in the end we went with Stevie and i'm yet to see anything that suggest that will be a bad decision and in fact in year where we have a very challenging draw to make the finals he is exactly what we need in our forward line and with Stevie having his earliest start to a preseason in years I expect him to hit the ground running from round one.

Nothing ever is free...and there will be a cost for having SJ in the side.. and only issue is your needs worthy of the cost. IMO it is.

You need to realise some of the talent and convert it into contention. It may be this deprives a younger guy , maybe you lose him..but I feel you must think about the ones who are key. The sooner your side is in the finals the sooner it will be that the leak that happens yearly starts to dry up. If he kicks 30 and you play finals..its a win. Good luck to you and him , no issues with the move.

By the way where can I discuss Cornell with someone?

By the way where can I discuss Cornell with someone?

What did you want to know? A Daniher by any other name. Coached by one of his uncles up bush (not sure which - not Neal, maybe Chris?) as well as a number of years in the academy system. in the NEAFL he reoamed around the high half wing, going forward to kick a few, including at least one bag from memory. I have a vague recollection of 9 in 7 games - something like that. Didn't average a lot of disposals, but as an underage top-up with limited game time you wouldn't. Not sure how he did in the draft combine, but seemed to go all right on the few occasions I saw him in actual games. Kinda bummed we didn't pick him up ourselves but happy he went to the Cats. Don't know if he'll ever be a superstar, but definitely won't let you down.

What did you want to know? A Daniher by any other name. Coached by one of his uncles up bush (not sure which - not Neal, maybe Chris?) as well as a number of years in the academy system. in the NEAFL he reoamed around the high half wing, going forward to kick a few, including at least one bag from memory. I have a vague recollection of 9 in 7 games - something like that. Didn't average a lot of disposals, but as an underage top-up with limited game time you wouldn't. Not sure how he did in the draft combine, but seemed to go all right on the few occasions I saw him in actual games. Kinda bummed we didn't pick him up ourselves but happy he went to the Cats. Don't know if he'll ever be a superstar, but definitely won't let you down.

Thanks for the info Icha.. Some of my questions you have touched on. Obvious GWS would struggle to have all the talent in your development system , so you prioritise... but I do like what I have seen so far of Jock. Would you describe him as a attacking or defensive mid.... just seems to have a strong robust look to him. Perhaps something close to a Guthrie type. Maybe not a blistering star in any one discipline but a very good package..certain value as a Rookie I think.

Hey guys just watched a video of the giants day off they went fishing. Wanted to know how Stevie J is fitting in. Looked as though he was well and truly one of the lads. Hope he has a good year and plays on in 17'

Hey guys just watched a video of the giants day off they went fishing. Wanted to know how Stevie J is fitting in. Looked as though he was well and truly one of the lads. Hope he has a good year and plays on in 17'
Stevie J would fit into just about any crowd I reckon. He certainly looks to have settled in very quickly. Similar to how Heater rolled in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know, he seems to have been catching more and bigger fish - some of the other seasoned fishermen in the group might start to get jealous;)

I wish Stevie J all the best, i reckon he had another year at the Cats, (my bias coming through). Unfortunately he has no right side of the body anymore, he can barely kick over a jam tin with his right foot. His experience will be invaluable to GWS on field and then a move into coaching after that, just don't expect those miracles anymore, although you might see a glimpse or two. Put your trust in Stevie J; but mind to keep your powder dry. I reckon he will be a good coach down the track, that might surprise some, but he has a very astute footy brain.

I wish Stevie J all the best, i reckon he had another year at the Cats, (my bias coming through). Unfortunately he has no right side of the body anymore, he can barely kick over a jam tin with his right foot. His experience will be invaluable to GWS on field and then a move into coaching after that, just don't expect those miracles anymore, although you might see a glimpse or two. Put your trust in Stevie J; but mind to keep your powder dry. I reckon he will be a good coach down the track, that might surprise some, but he has a very astute footy brain.
I saw his interview after the round 23 game.He said he tweaked a groin muscled the previous week and thats why he kicked with his left in that game.I Dont know if it will have any long term repercussions unless you know something different?

I saw his interview after the round 23 game.He said he tweaked a groin muscled the previous week and thats why he kicked with his left in that game.I Dont know if it will have any long term repercussions unless you know something different?
He's been weak on the right side for a long time, he is a natural left footer so he will be alright. He won't be easy pickings for any opponent and i suspect will still be an annoyance for any team. It will be interesting to see how they handle him up there. Just talking about Stevie J and another club is not easy.

He's been weak on the right side for a long time, he is a natural left footer so he will be alright. He won't be easy pickings for any opponent and i suspect will still be an annoyance for any team. It will be interesting to see how they handle him up there. Just talking about Stevie J and another club is not easy.
Left footer?.Had me fooled..Leon was basically ambidextrous though.....Maybe he just wanted someone on the same level haha

No
Was a great player
Now is an over the hill, flopping, petulant, selfish player well past his best
As for his coaching aspirations, he reminds me of a hillbilly who has drunk too much moonshine
Of course the coaching perception could be way off, but I reckon I might call him "moonshine" as he could well play in the same forward line as our own "sunshine" & Jezza can be "supernova"
Sorry for getting carried away

A win for you guys. Just don't let him hang around the bar for too long.

Or with Hodgey for that matter.;)

A good get IMO....GWS need as many successful & experienced heads as possible teaching their kids....Just look at what Stewie Dew did for the Hawks back in 2008.

You only need look at the Gold Coast to see what happens with minimal experienced players in your team.

sorry to intrude but I honestly feel he will be good for the first half of the season before he quickly declines. The reaction time and awareness has dropped considerably. I also disagree with the above poster about teaching the younger kids. Johnson was an appalling example of what on field leadership is all about. He continually retaliated against taggers and that led to non stop MRP citing's & fines handed out. On a couple of occasions during this past season, he would demand a player give him the ball in order to try and kick the goal an when a player did not do so, he would curse and tell his teammates off.
I hope he does turn back the clock but I'm doubtful this will happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back