Strongest player in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I would say its out of Brown, Hall, Sanidilands, Rutten, Tippett and now Hunt are the 1st players that entered my mind.

Pound for pound i would say Kerr would be a good chance

I remember hearing a story that Modra was stupidly strong and one time Roo took the bench press record off him so Modra came in and just quickly took his record back.

Most people refer to their max 1RM, not i can do 3 sets of 100kg x 10 unless they are specifically asked what they can rep.

Also most gym's have a standard Olympic bar which is 20kg very rarely will you come across a gym using 25kg bars. You lift the bar weight so you include it in your total.

Ok well I've mostly gone by the weight on the bar but I do know in the back of mind I'm pushing an extra 15/20kg. I've never done max lift either because I don't see the point in it.

Also I don't understand the x10 rep approach, if you can rep 100kg x 10 you'd be able to do 105kg/110kg x 4-6. The reason for going lower reps is simply because you can lift more and lifting heavier weights is a basic fundamental for growing muscle. When I've stuck to it consistently I could gain 15kg by upping the weight by 2.5kg each week for just over a month and sticking to 4-6 reps.

As someone with experience in ground fighting (by no means extensive) I can tell you that the most important muscles in your body when not on your feet in terms of winning a contest are those in your core. You can utilise these in both a defensive (resisting force) and offensive (exerting force) context

Agree totally, the power of ones punch is also generated through the twisting of the hips, you don't often see martial artists with massive upper bodies since most of their training focuses on their core and leg muscles, they may do lesser training in the upper body but the most I ever did in Karate training were push ups or a variant of them.

What makes Ablett and Judd so hard to tackle is their strong core and legs and I'd say Ablett gets a great benefit from this through his surfing.

Josh Hunt.

we need some clarification on this thread, to me the bench press is a good indicator of strengh.

but players with short arms will always bench more than player with longer arms IMO, not sure what anyone else thinks about that, makes sense to me though.

Jamar anyone? The man is a beast...

30627_1439556756044_1446798860_1193092_2285065_n.jpg

Pound for pound it's Dane Swan pretty comfortably I'd say. He benches 145 and for a midfielder that is absolutely enormous. It's the reason he is so hard to tag because the few taggers who might be able to run with him just get pushed off when near the ball and can't budge him in a marking contest. The man is a beast of epic proportions. As for the strongest man in the AFL full stop, you'd have to say it would be Barry Hall with Jono Brown, Aaron Sandilands, Travis Cloke, Mark Jamar and a couple of others right up there.

Also, to the people saying Swan is the strongest player on the list full stop, you guys couldn't be more wrong (he certainly is pound for pound though). Those fitness stats were not completed. Only about a third of the list had doe each test at that point if I recall correctly and you can clearly see this with even less that that (8 in total) having measured a number for the dead lift). You honestly think Travis Cloke or Leroy Brown would not be benching more than Dane Swan? I doubt it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that big only 140 or 145kg iirc, though it is decent for an AFL midfielder who has to run a marathon most weeks of the year.

In saying that Buckley benched 154kg while playing, and recorded running 20km in a game. Athlete.

Swan's number in that file was 145kg but not all players recorded numbers. The one released was uncompleted at that point.

Pound for pound it's Dane Swan pretty comfortably I'd say. He benches 145 and for a midfielder that is absolutely enormous. It's the reason he is so hard to tag because the few taggers who might be able to run with him just get pushed off when near the ball and can't budge him in a marking contest. The man is a beast of epic proportions. As for the strongest man in the AFL full stop, you'd have to say it would be Barry Hall with Jono Brown, Aaron Sandilands, Travis Cloke, Mark Jamar and a couple of others right up there.

Also, to the people saying Swan is the strongest player on the list full stop, you guys couldn't be more wrong (he certainly is pound for pound though). Those fitness stats were not completed. Only about a third of the list had doe each test at that point if I recall correctly and you can clearly see this with even less that that (8 in total) having measured a number for the dead lift). You honestly think Travis Cloke or Leroy Brown would not be benching more than Dane Swan? I doubt it.

Swan is not the strongest "pound for pound" if we are using the bench test as a determination of strength, seeing as he weighs 88kg and benches 145. Paul Bower is/was 85kg and also benched 145. I've seen Kade Simpson bench 125 at barely 75kg. I've heard Jake King apparently pushes 125 also and I'm pretty sure he is listed at around 75?

Earl Boykins is 60kg and bench presses 143kg for 3 reps.

lol jamar i agree with

from the tigers angus graham can bench 155kg and i think lids was 145kg. and riewoldt is pretty tough as well (but everyone knew that ;) ) and miller is huge

my number one will be dustin martin. like somone said that if he isnt the strongest he will be

Swan's listed at 92 kg on the CFC website, Deledio is listed at 88, and they both bench 145. So "pound for pound" Deledio's stronger than him, and if that's the case I reckon there would be a few more stronger than these two.

That's why the bench press is a pretty poor measure of overall strength. Exercises like Squat, Deadlift or the Power Clean are better measures of overall body strength. But then again, that can mean shit all when on the footy field. Knowing how, when and where to apply force including timing and balance are all important factors too. Way too subjective.

Swan's listed at 92 kg on the CFC website, Deledio is listed at 88, and they both bench 145. So "pound for pound" Deledio's stronger than him, and if that's the case I reckon there would be a few more stronger than these two.

That's why the bench press is a pretty poor measure of overall strength. Exercises like Squat, Deadlift or the Power Clean are better measures of overall body strength. But then again, that can mean shit all when on the footy field. Knowing how, when and where to apply force including timing and balance are all important factors too. Way too subjective.
Since this seems to come up often I have mentioned this guy's name so often that I'm clearly about to turn up at Swans training with scandal posters... but... Craig Bolton is ludicrously strong pound for pound, if we think those numbers for Swan and Deledio are impressive given their weight (note taken that you're pointing out it's not the be all and end all) but these figures are pretty crazy from way back when...

At 83kg, he can bench-press 150kg and squat 200kg

Craig Bolton lifting numbers from 2003 (http://www.weightbench.com.au/weigh.../20/bolton-playing-above-his-weight-and-more/)

He's missed most of this season through injury, and not really sure how those things change with age, so no idea what he'd be at now (he's now 30 and is about 5 kg heavier).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back