2nds Sturt vs Port Adelaide - Round 3 @ Unley

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol just how often they set hayes up to fail to prove a point.
CHF ( which is where I believe he started) is the hardest gig of the lot so they didn't do him any favours, and unfortunately he isn't the first player at Alberton to show promise and then fall away badly under the current regime.

The very best we can hope for with the players we have at the moment is to break even in the ruck. Who gets that done for now is probably Lycett. The thing I don't understand is how Hayes is a liability around the ground but Lycett isn't. Please people who football better than me please explain.

..... These blokes are picked as the best of the best ....
They're picked at 18 in general when it's largely a guess how they'll develop. The great majority are dropped from the system, I think the average career is 3 years (heard that from a commentator the other night, Richo?).
And they're the not best of the best. They're only picked from players who want to play AFL. There are a significant number of very good players who for work or family reasons play either locally or for a good living outside the AFL system. Nathan Ablett is the standout example IMO. Had to be nagged to nominate for Geelong. Straight after the 2007 GF he quit to play local amateurs, bar 2011 when he played a year at Gold Coast with his brother.

.... they train full time and have access to (theoretically) expert coaches and support staff ....
You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig. You can try and pour 500ml of water into a cup but if it's a 350ml cup the effort is wasted. And so on. For some players the effort is worth it but only over time. From today's players Lachie Jones played really well vs Brisbane and at 21 has clearly improved since he was drafted. Others are depth players like Dumont and Clurey. EDIT: and Evans.

...... They also regularly play at a faster, tougher and more skilful level .....
Good SANFL teams (most of them in any year) are plenty fast, tough and skilful. And one huge advantage they have over the Maggies and the Crows reserves is they have a full club structure where they can promote/drop players from their reserves. That's something we can't do anymore, we have to play everybody on the AFL list, then whatever contracted players we have, and as last resort* there seems to be a ring-around amateur league clubs to field a team.
* I know that happened at least once last year due to illness/injury. I'm not sure of the mechanism or how often it's needed.

...... They should be a s**t tonne better than some SANFL mug.
Back to my earlier points, the AFL-listed player is not automatically better than the SANFL one. The AFL-listed player who can't get or keep a game at AFL level is more worthy of being called a mug. The AFL-listed player who trains multiple times a week with copious resources and doesn't develop to AFL level is more worthy of being called a mug.

Last edited:
Did you say this when he won a B&F?
Right now he is a poor footballer. He's a poor footballer because the club has spent the last two years systematically crushing his spirit. If I'd been ignored for gametime when I was by far the best ruck option on the list as often as Hayes has been since 2022 I'd have given up too.

Yes, it’s all the clubs fault that he can’t get a kick these days.
This, but unironically.

If he'd been managed properly he'd have played 30-40 games as #1 ruck at AFL level by now and would have probably maintained the promising form he was showing in 2021 and early 2022 before we inexplicably gave up on him and turned him into the confidence lacking shell of his former self that he is now.

A SANFL best and fairest doesn't guarantee you an AFL career. I'm guessing 90% of winners don't go on to AFL.

Compare Hayes with Strachan at the Crows, both 205cm but Strachan does so much more work. He is so far off.

CHF ( which is where I believe he started) is the hardest gig of the lot so they didn't do him any favours, and unfortunately he isn't the first player at Alberton to show promise and then fall away badly under the current regime.
As distinct from the many who've developed and thrived at Alberton under the current regime. Or in other words a football club.

Last edited:
There are many on this board who still sadly think he has Polly Farmer abilities & is only being held back because he refused to join Ken’s Greyhound syndicate.

He’s a terrible footballer who will be delisted at years end & finish his career in some obscure country league.
I don't know if that's true or not now but I know it DEFINITELY wasn't true when he just played 7 pretty decent AFL games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it seems like Moore and Evans were solid. Fairly average outside of that.

We’re any of the backs any good?
I think Mead and Bonner were alright as well. Pasini and Clurey were pathetic.

According to AFL.com:

“Ruckman Scott Lycett dominated with 33 hitouts and five tackles”

So we can pretty much looking at Lycett back next week…….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

According to AFL.com:

“Ruckman Scott Lycett dominated with 33 hitouts and five tackles”

So we can pretty much looking at Lycett back next week…….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pretty sure it was Ken who wrote that.

I don't know if that's true or not now but I know it DEFINITELY wasn't true when he just played 7 pretty decent AFL games.
It’s imperative that any professional athlete, no matter what discipline or background, must be able to self motivate themselves if they are ever going to progress in their chosen field. It doesn’t matter how badly Sam might have been managed over the years, he has to rise above that adversity & prove the doubters wrong.

Where Pasini and Clurey parhetic cause the mids made it very hard for them or just not good?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back