Roast Succession - The bigger questions!

Remove this Banner Ad

PieNSauce

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 22, 2007
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
are jealous!
You know what? I’m sick to death of the raging argument around Bucks and his ability to coach. Blind Freddy can see that the vultures are circling and to be fair, the signs are not good and haven’t been for some time. Whilst there have been some positives in his tenure to date, and I include the team’s finals finishes in each of his first 2 years as well as having had the team in the 4 after 8 rounds last year, there are fairly ominous signs coming out of our NAB challenge performances that have the faithful holding their collective breath.

If (and it’s still an if for me), the team does not start performing to the expectation of the fans in the first few weeks of the season proper, there can be nothing surer than that the fans will be baying for blood. That fact is unquestionable but what is questionable is just whose blood that needs to be. What makes me sick about the situation that Bucks and the team find themselves in is an almost complete acceptance by the masses of the goings on since 2009 without the hard questions being asked of the board and management. Just who is responsible for what many already see as an utter debacle and why have they not put up their hand(s)? Premature? Maybe, in fact, hopefully so, but there are still answers owed to the members on a number of issues.

Regardless of the various explanations, it seems less than likely that all of the experienced players we have traded or lost would have necessarily left had they had a close bond with the coach and club. Of course that is pure speculation but I very much doubt that even the most die-hard Buckley fan would not have wondered about this albeit probably privately. We have all been assured that this is one leopard that changed its spots some time ago. I am still not convinced either way but it says much that I and many others are happy to question it either privately or in public forums.

Whatever the facts in regard to Buckley’s coaching ability, the simple fact remains that a decision was taken at the end of 2009 which on outward appearance seems to have had some fairly far reaching consequences. No doubt many of us thought at the time that it had the potential to be a masterstroke of foresight and planning but in the aftermath of its abject failure, one can only ask who is responsible and should there be a move to remove Bucks at some point, who needs to go with him?

There is no doubt in my mind that in concept, the succession plan was clever forward planning but it bore merit in my mind only if it was understood that Mick was there to provide close mentoring for Bucks and if it was diligently implemented. This is the concept that I embraced and my understanding of it was that whilst the club felt that Bucks had great potential as a senior coach, it was necessary for his development that he be mentored by a highly experienced and successful coach. For the plan to have any merit in these circumstances, it had to include detailed provisions to ensure that all parties were on board and that their roles were clearly understood. On this point the club failed massively and with potentially dire consequences.

EDIT:
CLARIFICATION

OK, reading back, it has become obvious that it is entirely possible to read a different meaning into the OP than what was intended. In the hope that the thread can be brought back to its intended course, I will attempt to clarify that intent and I apologise for any misunderstanding.

This thread is intended to discuss the failure of the succession plan in implementation only. It is not about whether success eventuated either directly or indirectly as a result of the plan. The central point is the diligence employed in producing and implementing a workable plan for benefit of the Collingwood Football Club.

Why is this of interest to me you may well ask and I will do my best to explain that too.

My reasons for concern relate specifically to the implications for the club as a result of Mick's failure to take up the director of coaching role. My concerns are entirely speculative at this stage but I believe they echo the concerns of many of the members and supporters. To understand, I guess you would need to consider the potential benefits of having retained Mick in the planned role (as I understood it). It was my opinion that Bucks had significant potential as a coach but like many, I had concerns initially that he was untried. I also had some lingering concerns about whether or not his renowned man-management skills had indeed been improved as we were being told. For this reason, I always felt that having Mick there for support would be extremely beneficial for Bucks' education as a senior coach and help to calm the waters for players who had probably not played under any other coach at senior level.

So what is the potential fall-out from Mick leaving? It will always be difficult if not impossible to be categorical about such things but it could well be speculated that without Mick, a number of the players would feel disinclined to buy in to a new strategy or regime. There is anecdotal evidence that this has happened and that as a result, the rebuild has been far more extreme than it might have otherwise needed to be. Less tangibly, there has been far less exposure for Bucks to Mick's experience and as such he has had to draw knowledge from wherever he can and without necessarily the candor that you might have expected from someone of Mick's stature. These are clearly based on opinion and I make no apology for those opinions. You may disagree if you like but I am fairly comfortable for now with my beliefs on these things.

So what's the point? The point is that I am convinced that had due diligence been done, we may well have had far less disruption to the team and I suspect that further success may have been likely to come far sooner than it is now likely to. My feeling is that it is very important for the club to review whatever process led to the failure to implement so that such things are less likely to be repeated. To a lesser extent and far less importantly, I feel that the members and supporters may well be owed at least some semblance of an apology unless it can be shown that all due diligence was done.

Hopefully this goes some way toward redirecting the discussion back to its intended course.

In what parallel universe would you attempt such a plan without having a real understanding of the personalities involved? Did Bucks actually sign up to the notion that Mick would be his mentor or was that just an assumption made by the club without consultation? On the other hand, given that the club dithered for months on the question of a clear role definition for Mick, could it be said that Mick’s position was tenable if Bucks rejected any notion of him having a direct role in coaching? In the end, the biggest question of all is… who failed to do their homework? Who let the members down by announcing a succession without every piece of the puzzle having been firmly cemented in its place?

That’s what I want to know and rest assured, I’m hopping mad. If Bucks goes down then I don’t care if it’s Ed himself, I want the culprit outed and I think the members have a right to know!

Last edited:
You know what? I’m sick to death of the raging argument around Bucks and his ability to coach. Blind Freddy can see that the vultures are circling and to be fair, the signs are not good and haven’t been for some time. Whilst there have been some positives in his tenure to date, and I include the team’s finals finishes in each of his first 2 years as well as having had the team in the 4 after 8 rounds last year, there are fairly ominous signs coming out of our NAB challenge performances that have the faithful holding their collective breath.

If (and it’s still an if for me), the team does not start performing to the expectation of the fans in the first few weeks of the season proper, there can be nothing surer than that the fans will be baying for blood. That fact is unquestionable but what is questionable is just whose blood that needs to be. What makes me sick about the situation that Bucks and the team find themselves in is an almost complete acceptance by the masses of the goings on since 2009 without the hard questions being asked of the board and management. Just who is responsible for what many already see as an utter debacle and why have they not put up their hand(s)? Premature? Maybe, in fact, hopefully so, but there are still answers owed to the members on a number of issues.

Regardless of the various explanations, it seems less than likely that all of the experienced players we have traded or lost would have necessarily left had they had a close bond with the coach and club. Of course that is pure speculation but I very much doubt that even the most die-hard Buckley fan would not have wondered about this albeit probably privately. We have all been assured that this is one leopard that changed its spots some time ago. I am still not convinced either way but it says much that I and many others are happy to question it either privately or in public forums.

Whatever the facts in regard to Buckley’s coaching ability, the simple fact remains that a decision was taken at the end of 2009 which on outward appearance seems to have had some fairly far reaching consequences. No doubt many of us thought at the time that it had the potential to be a masterstroke of foresight and planning but in the aftermath of its abject failure, one can only ask who is responsible and should there be a move to remove Bucks at some point, who needs to go with him?

There is no doubt in my mind that in concept, the succession plan was clever forward planning but it bore merit in my mind only if it was understood that Mick was there to provide close mentoring for Bucks and if it was diligently implemented. This is the concept that I embraced and my understanding of it was that whilst the club felt that Bucks had great potential as a senior coach, it was necessary for his development that he be mentored by a highly experienced and successful coach. For the plan to have any merit in these circumstances, it had to include detailed provisions to ensure that all parties were on board and that their roles were clearly understood. On this point the club failed massively and with potentially dire consequences.

In what parallel universe would you attempt such a plan without having a real understanding of the personalities involved? Did Bucks actually sign up to the notion that Mick would be his mentor or was that just an assumption made by the club without consultation? On the other hand, given that the club dithered for months on the question of a clear role definition for Mick, could it be said that Mick’s position was tenable if Bucks rejected any notion of him having a direct role in coaching? In the end, the biggest question of all is… who failed to do their homework? Who let the members down by announcing a succession without every piece of the puzzle having been firmly cemented in its place?

That’s what I want to know and rest assured, I’m hopping mad. If Bucks goes down then I don’t care if it’s Ed himself, I want the culprit outed and I think the members have a right to know!

Christ we have enough vent threads. Do we need another. It is ancient history. Can we move on.

Christ we have enough vent threads. Do we need another. It is ancient history. Can we move on.
Incorrect! This is absolutely relevant right now and potentially about to become even more relevant. Regardless of the fate of the team this season it is still relevant because we still have not had an explanation as to how a club reputed to be amongst the best managed of all could have stuffed up so royally.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, I just happen to vehemently disagree!

P.S. For the record, this is not a vent thread. It is about asking the bigger questions of the club rather than slavishly pointing the finger at the coach. Nobody says you have to read it or respond if you don't want to but I suspect that plenty of members want answers.

As much as I love Ed, it's him that needs to go along with Bucks.

He continually gets the wrong people into the club at ALL levels, and their focus appears to be on marketing and revenue raising as opposed to winning premierships.

P.S. For the record, this is not a vent thread. It is about asking the bigger questions of the club rather than slavishly pointing the finger at the coach. Nobody says you have to read it or respond if you don't want to but I suspect that plenty of members want answers.

That may be the intent and I appreciate your noble ambitions but I am pretty confident it will turn in to a vent thread. Unfortunately most do these days.

While I'm not sure that the history of it is that ancient, I agree that it doesn't serve a useful purpose to trawl through that part of the past. More relevant is the club's ability to respond to the challenges of today, to not lose it's head when the pressure is on, and to not devolve into self-flagellation and all the other nasty things which can turn one period of bad form into a lifetime of misery.

I would prefer it if there were some clear benchmarks for Buckley, something more sophisticated then a finals appearance, and I would like to see a calm assessment of his performance at the end of the season. If it is decided by higher beings that he isn't the man for the future, then off with his head. If it is clear to all and sundry that he isn't the man for the job and yet the higher beings refuse to pay heed to the obvious, then let's as some serious questions then. Otherwise, my energy is focused upon watching some developing young players, looking for signs of a brighter future, and thankfully I don't think I have to look too hard to spot some talent. As one who remembers the 1990s all too well, I remain grateful that we are not in the Dark Ages.

While I'm not sure that the history of it is that ancient, I agree that it doesn't serve a useful purpose to trawl through that part of the past. More relevant is the club's ability to respond to the challenges of today, to not lose it's head when the pressure is on, and to not devolve into self-flagellation and all the other nasty things which can turn one period of bad form into a lifetime of misery.
I would prefer it if there were some clear benchmarks for Buckley, something more sophisticated then a finals appearance, and I would like to see a calm assessment of his performance at the end of the season. If it is decided by higher beings that he isn't the man for the future, then off with his head. If it is clear to all and sundry that he isn't the man for the job and yet the higher beings refuse to pay heed to the obvious, then let's as some serious questions then. Otherwise, my energy is focused upon watching some developing young players, looking for signs of a brighter future, and thankfully I don't think I have to look too hard to spot some talent. As one who remembers the 1990s all too well, I remain grateful that we are not in the Dark Ages.

And that my friends is all that needs to be said at this point.

I appreciate the effort here Pie, but I would hope that everyone's focus be squarely on the solution not how we got into the mess and who's responsible.

The solution is twofold, IMO, either 1. Buckley develops a sustainable system, and quick, that allows for us to improve as a club onfield from our current plight or 2. Come seasons end we find someone else who will.

On the basis of the past 3 and a bit years Buckley is up against it because our system hasn't improved in any area under his tutelage. Personell will change, but the systems largely stay the same and I would have ours close to league worst currently.

It seemed quite clear to me that despite the best intentions of Ed and the board that Mick quite clearly sabotaged the plans they originally had in place and he started doing it from at least as early as when he was drowning in his own ego on the victory dias after the 2010 premiership when he made that snide remark about Eddie. That was no place for that and it reeked.

Mick had no intention of ever honouring that deal from that point on and my suspicion (without knowing of course) is that Mick was never going to agree to the role unless that role as "Director of Coaching" was pretty much still being the head coach.

It fell apart there and then and by that stage there was little that could be done about it because nothing would have made a difference. the club just had to deal with it.

The bottom line is still whether Bucks can coach and I guess the jury is out on that one and revisiting the succession plan achieves absolutely nothing for the now.

We are an ordinary team at the moment (with potential) and people need to deal with that or remain forever miserable. We just lost a practice match.

It's how we are playing later in the year that matters.

Big Footy is really shitting me off at the moment.

Last edited:
Incorrect! This is absolutely relevant right now and potentially about to become even more relevant. Regardless of the fate of the team this season it is still relevant because we still have not had an explanation as to how a club reputed to be amongst the best managed of all could have stuffed up so royally.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, I just happen to vehemently disagree!
But isn't that the real issue....its just an opinion, there is nothing factual in your premise and therefore any "solution" will be based on nothing of substance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I love Ed, it's him that needs to go along with Bucks.

He continually gets the wrong people into the club at ALL levels, and their focus appears to be on marketing and revenue raising as opposed to winning premierships.
You might be right but that's the question that I think the members deserve an answer to. Who was responsible for the implementation? I'm not sure any of us can say with any degree of certainty who that was albeit that we may have strong suspicions. I have great respect for Ed and what he has achieved but if he is the responsible person then I think it's time he at least put up his hand.

As far as people who are disinterested in this thread goes, well and good! I trust we can assume we will not see you back here again. I cannot control peoples' wish to vent as much as I might like to. Hopefully the mods can take care of that! The questions raised are valid and relevant to the club right now whether or not some people think so.

But isn't that the real issue....its just an opinion, there is nothing factual in your premise and therefore any "solution" will be based on nothing of substance.
There is no opinion in the known fact that the succession plan was a major failure. The point in question is due diligence which was clearly not done. The simple fact that the club was still dithering on a role definition for Mick way after the announcement is prima facie evidence that someone stuffed up royally.

It seemed quite clear to me that despite the best intentions of Ed and the board that Mick quite clearly sabotaged the plans they originally had in place and he styarted doing it from at least as early as when he was drowning in his own ego on the victory dias after the 2010 premiership when he made that snide remark about Eddie. That was no place for that and it reeked.

Mick had no intention of ever honouring that deal from that point on and my suspician (without knowing of course) is that Mick was never going to agree to the role unless that role as "Director of Coaching" was pretty much still being the head coach.

It fell apart there and then and by that stage there was little that could be done about it because nothing would have made a difference. the club just had to deal with it.

The bottom line is still whether Bucks can coach and I guess the jury is out on that one and revisiting the succession plan achieves absolutely nothing for the now.

We are an ordinary team at the moment (with potential) and people need to deal with that or remain forever miserable. We just lost a practice match.

It's how we are playing later in the year that matters.

Big Footy is really shitting me off at the moment.
Whether or not Mick sabotaged the plan is not at issue. We all know that he did but that surely begs the question as to who so badly miscalculated that this was even possible. That's my point.

Whether or not Mick sabotaged the plan is not at issue. We all know that he did but that surely begs the question as to who so badly miscalculated that this was even possible. That's my point.
Well you already know the answer to that -- Eddie and the board did, presumably Walsh too.

I think they totally miscalculated how difficult and manipulative Mick could and would be. I suspect that they truly felt that he was a man of honour.

Well you already know the answer to that -- Eddie and the board did, presumably Walsh too.

I think they totally miscalculated how difficult and manipulative Mick could and would be. I suspect that they truly felt that he was a man of honour.
I can speculate about who is responsible as well as the next person but I believe that the members have a right to some clear explanation as to what went wrong and why. If the club was left vulnerable as a result of lack of due diligence then it is of relevance to the members and frankly, depending on the circumstances potentially requires at least some form of censure. It's not about going back over history for the sake of it, it's about making sure the lessons have been learned and it's not repeated.

So the board should have foreseen someone not honoring a contract that they signed?

The amount of leeway that we give people that DON'T honour their contracts in the AFL is staggering. It really is still an amateur sport at times. Instead of making the person that didn't honour their contract responsible we make excuses as to why they didn't and point the finger at the other party. It's actually kind of pathetic really.

As for your contention, you have no proof that the succession plan is a success or failure. It is simply your opinion and nothing more based off an assumption that Mick would have had us winning premierships in 2012 and beyond. Why make this assumption when evidence suggests that the team was already on the decline towards the end of 2011? Make no mistake, we won a premiership off the back of a unique gameplan that had never been used before. Come the end of 2011 we lost the grand final convincingly and by 95 points in the final round. Not to mention that anyone watching the game with two eyes open could see that Hawthorn had our number in the preliminary final. We were the 3rd, maybe 2nd best team come the end of 2011. Buckley had us losing a preliminarh final to the premier in his first season. Par for the course for the 3rd best team.

It's like Mick never coached us before 2010 on this board nowadays. If I had a penny for every time someone wrote "we'll never win a premiership with Mick's around the boundary gameplan" I would never work again and live out the rest of my days on Carribean beaches.

So the board should have foreseen someone not honoring a contract that they signed?

The amount of leeway that we give people that DON'T honour their contracts in the AFL is staggering. It really is still an amateur sport at times. Instead of making the person that didn't honour their contract responsible we make excuses as to why they didn't and point the finger at the other party. It's actually kind of pathetic really.

As for your contention, you have no proof that the succession plan is a success or failure. It is simply your opinion and nothing more based off an assumption that Mick would have had us winning premierships in 2012 and beyond. Why make this assumption when evidence suggests that the team was already on the decline towards the end of 2011? Make no mistake, we won a premiership off the back of a unique gameplan that had never been used before. Come the end of 2011 we lost the grand final convincingly and by 95 points in the final round. Not to mention that anyone watching the game with two eyes open could see that Hawthorn had our number in the preliminary final. We were the 3rd, maybe 2nd best team come the end of 2011. Buckley had us losing a preliminarh final to the premier in his first season. Par for the course for the 3rd best team.

It's like Mick never coached us before 2010 on this board nowadays. If I had a penny for every time someone wrote "we'll never win a premiership with Mick's around the boundary gameplan" I would never work again and live out the rest of my days on Carribean beaches.
I certainly agree that the tolerance shown to dishonouring contracts in the AFL is staggering but it's not really the point of the discussion. I would have thought that due diligence requires that there is at least a better than even chance that the person contracted will honour his contract because it is known to be something that he wants. How it can be due diligence to sign someone to a contract which does not even specify a role is what staggers me.

For the record, the succession plan is factually a failure because it never came to fruition. Whether or not Bucks appointment as a coach is successful is another issue entirely and potentially it is impacted by the failure of the succession plan. That's the point I'm making.

My concern is we won a flag with a core group of 20-24 year olds with plenty of football and improvement to come...

Yet here we are a few years later with many in their prime but many gone too. How did we lose all that promise?

There is no opinion in the known fact that the succession plan was a major failure. The point in question is due diligence which was clearly not done. The simple fact that the club was still dithering on a role definition for Mick way after the announcement is prima facie evidence that someone stuffed up royally.
All of that is opinion...if it is fact and you want serious discussion, you are going to need evidence and not just BigFooty evidence

My concern is we won a flag with a core group of 20-24 year olds with plenty of football and improvement to come...

Yet here we are a few years later with many in their prime but many gone too. How did we lose all that promise?
Mine is why and how can we make sure such things don't happen again!

I can speculate about who is responsible as well as the next person but I believe that the members have a right to some clear explanation as to what went wrong and why. If the club was left vulnerable as a result of lack of due diligence then it is of relevance to the members and frankly, depending on the circumstances potentially requires at least some form of censure. It's not about going back over history for the sake of it, it's about making sure the lessons have been learned and it's not repeated.
See, this is what I mean

Succession plan was/is a failure? It got us a premiership and into a GF in 2011. That agreement was a masterstroke, but now is the time where we are finally paying for it.

We should be grateful and hey, who knows? Maybe Bucks will get us back up and prove all the doubters around here wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back