Game Day Suns vs Crows, R3 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Not even in anyone's wildest dreams.....and although you'll never get the AFL to admit it you'll never convince me or a lot of others the express purpose the GCS were given the priority was so they could draft the 2 lifelong amigos Rowell and Anderson
I’m not quite sure I follow everything you said there, but Gold Coast have said that was part of their pitch to the AFL about getting the priority pick.

Twomey has said it, Carro has said it, Niall has said it, there’s enough people in the media who said it’s exactly why GC was given the PP.

Can you see any evidence of a game plan or structural set ups.....As hard as I try I'm buggered if I can, at least when Pyke took the reins you could see he had a game plan i.e run and gun, draw the opposing defenders up the ground then fast ball movement to an open forward line. With Nicks thus far I see nothing, hold onto the ball too long then kick it up the line to mostly an outnumbered contest seems to be the playbook.
Honestly, no, not yet. But from all accounts his game plan is completely opposite of what we were doing under Pyke so I gather it’s going to take some time to gel. I will reserve judgement on him for a while yet. His first test comes in selection this week after two insipid performances. The next will be how he gets the team to adapt to his plan...or whether he can admit his plan may not be right for this fit of players And our current level skills.

My read on your game plan is that you are trying to implement what Port have been over the last few years (likely influenced by Nicks).

At the members convention they referred to it as "playing what is in front if you".

So whilst Pyke struck me as very regimented and predictable with his game plan (which is a good way to get a team to finish mid table) now Nicks is trying to make you more unpredictable.

Rather than always going long and direct or short and wide you do a mix depending on the best option at the time.

It is painful to watch when it is not working. Especially with young players who are struggling with decision making. It leads to lots of bad decisions and lots of bad disposal. It is also very hard to maintain under elite pressure.

Port are finally getting better at it and have shown how well it can work the first 3 games, but as always the test will come when the pressure comes (which we have failed over recent years).

Unfortunately for you guys Nicks also seems to have brought with him the trait of kicking long to an isolated small forward (in our case Sam Gray, in yours Murphy). That one also only works against the worst teams. Fortunately we seem to have finally canned it.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

My read on your game plan is that you are trying to implement what Port have been over the last few years (likely influenced by Nicks).

At the members convention they referred to it as "playing what is in front if you".

So whilst Pyke struck me as very regimented and predictable with his game plan (which is a good way to get a team to finish mid table) now Nicks is trying to make you more unpredictable.

Rather than always going long and direct or short and wide you do a mix depending on the best option at the time.

It is painful to watch when it is not working. Especially with young players who are struggling with decision making. It leads to lots of bad decisions and lots of bad disposal. It is also very hard to maintain under elite pressure.

Port are finally getting better at it and have shown how well it can work the first 3 games, but as always the test will come when the pressure comes (which we have failed over recent years).

Unfortunately for you guys Nicks also seems to have brought with him the trait of kicking long to an isolated small forward (in our case Sam Gray, in yours Murphy). That one also only works against the worst teams. Fortunately we seem to have finally canned it.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Some good observations there, however this kicking long to the shortest man on the ground is not a new phenomenon at the Crows.

Oh that one has been in the Adelaide playbook for a decade+.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Is this Janus's 'Total Football' nonsense?

Some good observations there, however this kicking long to the shortest man on the ground is not a new phenomenon at the Crows.
I don't think we do that deliberately - more like the kicker is under pressure so kicks it long and high into the forward line in hope and to buy time.

Now due to our tall forwards no longer having speed, it's only our small fast players like Murphy (and Betts in previous years) who are able to run to where the ball lands while it's in the air.

Crows Fans: We must rebuild.
The same Crows Fans: It’s not acceptable that we loose by 10 goals.

In reality, if you read correctly, most are having a crack at the output of the senior players and questioning drafting decisions. People can be pissed that we're getting nothing from certain players and still understand the nature of a rebuild.

He shouldn't have to, ending careers comes with the job. Not sure what happened to the slimmed down version who was going to play wing.
The wing is our new forward pocket when the ball spends most of the time at full back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back