News Swans Talk In The Media 2017 (footy talk only, please)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL Tracking has Gary Rohan as not the fastest
"Dashing Docker Ethan Hughes reached round 17's highest maximum speed of 35.6km/h in the Western Derby against West Coast.
He edged out Swans speedster Gary Rohan, who clocked 35.3km/h before tweaking his glute/hamstring against GWS, and flying Magpie Will Hoskin-Elliott (34.9)".

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-19/tracker-data-reveals-afls-new-speed-king

But look at the distance covered Heeney, Robinson and JPK in the top 5
1707a-gws-syd-telstra-tracker-distance.jpg
Robinson worked hard hey. Would love to see individual players numbers each week, would shut up some posters saying player X did nothing, bludged etc.

I'd love to get see this data for all our players. I think it'd explain a lot of decisions made by our coaches
I think the AFL want us to purchase the app
The data is now accessible for fans exclusively via the Telstra Tracker in the AFL Live Official App.
How to access the Telstra Tracker
• The ground-breaking player tracking data is now available to access for Telstra mobile customers in the AFL Live Official App
• To find the Tracker, fire up the App and head to the 'Stats' tab in match centre

The data is now accessible for fans exclusively via the Telstra Tracker in the AFL Live Official App.
• The ground-breaking player tracking data is now available to access for Telstra mobile customers in the AFL Live Official App
• To find the Tracker, fire up the App and head to the 'Stats' tab in match centre
I hate Telstra. I'll do everything in my power to ensure I never give them a cent

I have Telstra via my work and downloaded it recently for this data. It's great info but not complete. Gives you top 5 across ground in different measures such as speed in attack/defence, total and repeat sprint efforts, top speed / average speed, total distance / total distance at high speed and total distance covered / total at high speed.

For instance the swans covered 302.1km and Giants 296.2km on the weekend.

And our highest average in attack was Robinson and in defence was McVeigh.

I have Telstra via my work and downloaded it recently for this data. It's great info but not complete. Gives you top 5 across ground in different measures such as speed in attack/defence, total and repeat sprint efforts, top speed / average speed, total distance / total distance at high speed and total distance covered / total at high speed.

For instance the swans covered 302.1km and Giants 296.2km on the weekend.

And our highest average in attack was Robinson and in defence was McVeigh.

I am guessing that the full suite of data (including training data) has a massive say on team selection.

All clubs would have developed markers as to what levels they need to hit as individual players, zones (backs,forwards,midfielders) and as a team to implement our own game plan succesfully or limit the opposition.

GWS had the top two on the ground for distance covered, but as a team we covered more and that would have been a focus to get more bodies to the contest and stop the ball getting out to to the outside.

Having been privy to what AFL clubs were doing as recently as 12 years ago in relation to breaking down instructions for individual players against potential opponents and game specific instructions for zones, the mind boogles when you think of the possibilities of using this data and overlaying it.

There is nowhere players can literally hide on the field these days. Coaching staff know instantly whether they are covering the ground to form the zone they are required to be in, whether a player is busting a gut to get into position to be the next link in the chain.

Really interesting stuff and largely unknown to the wider footballing public.

Cool! I've got that and never even knew it was there!! :eek: You can see how technically 'minded' (read challenged!) I am. Lol :p

I am guessing that the full suite of data (including training data) has a massive say on team selection.

All clubs would have developed markers as to what levels they need to hit as individual players, zones (backs,forwards,midfielders) and as a team to implement our own game plan succesfully or limit the opposition.

GWS had the top two on the ground for distance covered, but as a team we covered more and that would have been a focus to get more bodies to the contest and stop the ball getting out to to the outside.

Having been privy to what AFL clubs were doing as recently as 12 years ago in relation to breaking down instructions for individual players against potential opponents and game specific instructions for zones, the mind boogles when you think of the possibilities of using this data and overlaying it.

There is nowhere players can literally hide on the field these days. Coaching staff know instantly whether they are covering the ground to form the zone they are required to be in, whether a player is busting a gut to get into position to be the next link in the chain.

Really interesting stuff and largely unknown to the wider footballing public.

Jed Lamb once told me exactly this, that he would be dropped the coming week because he didn't hit his benchmarks (scorecard and all).

That was probably 4 years ago and I have no doubt it has and will continue to become more sophisticated.

Incidentally i noticed them seemly activate on the tv on the weekend as they were running out of the race, a little green light flashed. Had not noticed that before.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-21/sliding-doors-round-18

Another pot stir from Barrett

If the Swans hadn't allowed Tom Mitchell to leave ... then ... would they be sitting atop the ladder right now? We're going to say yes!

I don't know how you'd come to that conclusion. No doubt Mitchell is having a ripping year and he's a gun player but he was about fourth or fifth in our midfield pecking order. I think a big reason he's killing it at Hawthorn is that he's now their best mid by a significant margin.

I also don't know if just having Mitchell in would've made a difference in the first 6 weeks.

If the Swans hadn't allowed Tom Mitchell to leave ... then ... would they be sitting atop the ladder right now? We're going to say yes!

I don't know how you'd come to that conclusion. No doubt Mitchell is having a ripping year and he's a gun player but he was about fourth or fifth in our midfield pecking order. I think a big reason he's killing it at Hawthorn is that he's now their best mid by a significant margin.

I also don't know if just having Mitchell in would've made a difference in the first 6 weeks.

Edit
If the Swans hadn't allowed Tom Mitchell to leave ... then ... would he most likely be playing finals this season? We're going to say yes!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4th or 5th? Behind who?

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare...2515,2458,&Compare=Go&Sort=AverageRating Desc

Yeah that's this year not when he was with us. When he was with us he still had at the very least Kennedy, Parker and Hanners ahead of him.

This year he might be a Brownlow smokey.

Does nobody read posts properly any more?

Sorry meant to post careers

Sorry meant to post careers
OK. Not saying he's not a gun because he's killing it this year. More that other the fab four in Kennedy, Hanners, Parker and Jack were keeping him out of firsts for quite awhile. I was just questioning Barrett's logic that keeping Mitchell means we're top of the table because I don't think he would have the same impact with us as he's having with Hawthorn because he's basically carrying their midfield.

He is a contested ball monster now though.

Absolutely delusional to think Mitchell in gets Sydney 4 more wins. You could confidently say 1 (hawthorn) and maybe 2 (Collingwood).

"A lot of old bodies"... just another footy commentator who seems to know very little about our current side's makeup.
I know. A bit ticked off about that part. Simon needs to do a bit more research.

I know. A bit ticked off about that part. Simon needs to do a bit more research.
So that's where your nickname came from!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back