News Swans Talk In The Media 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Excellent article !!!!!
To put it bluntly, the Swans were disgusted with Clarkson’s behaviour after Hawthorn’s narrow loss to Sydney last Friday night. The revered and influential coach said after the game that Longmire’s defenders had got away with ‘‘blue murder’’ and he broke the unwritten post-game rule of singling out a player — Dane Rampe.
Sydney executive Tom Harley contacted the AFL’s football boss Steve Hocking, making his displeasure clear and stressing his concern that such strategically timed meetings and public targeting of tactics would not create a precedent. The Swans' view was that Clarkson’s behaviour was petulant, hypocritical and unsportsmanlike and that he was indulged by the game’s governors.

It was the Swans CEO Andrew Ireland who first put forward the best-of-three concept for the grand final in the interests of fairness and Sydney have strong thoughts about other potential measures to create a level September playing field. Nor will they abandon the best-of-three concept.
This highly sensitive divide between Victoria and the rest was not helped by Mike Fitzpatrick’s extraordinary interview on Fox Footy’s Open Mike this week.

That was a seriously refreshing piece of footy writing.

Fights against the tide of Footy Journalism morphing into Footy Jingoism over the last 20 years.

I've got no doubt it was a great article and I really really liked it.

I can't help but to think though that if the article hadn't linked richmond with the swans the article may well have been not written by that particular journalist.

I can't help but to think though that if the article hadn't linked richmond with the swans the article may well have been not written by that particular journalist.

Heh.

Well...I won't bite the hand that feeds me on this occasion. But point taken.

That was a seriously refreshing piece of footy writing.

Fights against the tide of Footy Journalism morphing into Footy Jingoism over the last 20 years.

It was a great article, full of truth and highlighting pure ego! It was fantastic the way it was headlined, yet dealt with greater issues and I tip my lid to Caro on this one!

While I can see why you’d think that, I doubt it would’ve mattered one iota!

Excellent article !!!!!
To put it bluntly, the Swans were disgusted with Clarkson’s behaviour after Hawthorn’s narrow loss to Sydney last Friday night. The revered and influential coach said after the game that Longmire’s defenders had got away with ‘‘blue murder’’ and he broke the unwritten post-game rule of singling out a player — Dane Rampe.
Sydney executive Tom Harley contacted the AFL’s football boss Steve Hocking, making his displeasure clear and stressing his concern that such strategically timed meetings and public targeting of tactics would not create a precedent. The Swans' view was that Clarkson’s behaviour was petulant, hypocritical and unsportsmanlike and that he was indulged by the game’s governors.
It was the Swans CEO Andrew Ireland who first put forward the best-of-three concept for the grand final in the interests of fairness and Sydney have strong thoughts about other potential measures to create a level September playing field. Nor will they abandon the best-of-three concept.
This highly sensitive divide between Victoria and the rest was not helped by Mike Fitzpatrick’s extraordinary interview on Fox Footy’s Open Mike this week.

All very well but who really wants to have coffees with unprincipled tools anyway.........

No, Caro has pretty good relations with Swans and Ireland in particular.

The two bits that jumped out at me were that Hawthorn also were unimpressed by Clarko's self-indulgence - though not surprising - but bigger than that, Fitzpatrick doesn't even know how COLA worked!!! He was the one who made an abusive call to Colless over the Buddy deal (Colless said he talked like a New York mafioso), complaining that that wasn't what COLA Was for. Now we know he had no freaking idea. AFL sure does attract them.

Excellent article !!!!!
Exactly re the underlined part. And people are defending or downplaying this whole incident.It is bloody concerning how one person can have so much power. This has moved past Swans v Hawks/Clarkson. It says so much about how the league is being run. It's f'd up.

No, Caro has pretty good relations with Swans and Ireland in particular.

The two bits that jumped out at me were that Hawthorn also were unimpressed by Clarko's self-indulgence - though not surprising - but bigger than that, Fitzpatrick doesn't even know how COLA worked!!! He was the one who made an abusive call to Colless over the Buddy deal (Colless said he talked like a New York mafioso), complaining that that wasn't what COLA Was for. Now we know he had no freaking idea. AFL sure does attract them.

Mike Thatfatprick is not very well liked or respected it seems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How to make an instant impression to our national competition.

Remove McGuire, Gordon & any Hawthorn person from AFL decision making.
There!
I've fixed it.
Great summation Ted, you have my vote! You know, in any industry, collusion brings hefty penalties. In the AFL, it brings a slap on the ******* wrist!

Great summation Ted, you have my vote! You know, in any industry, collusion brings hefty penalties. In the AFL, it brings a slap on the ******* wrist!
I'm looking forward to the day when I don't need to see Eddie, Derm, Dunstall, etc on TV anymore Mick.
It will just make for a more enjoyable time following the game.
I may even start to like Collingwood.

How to make an instant impression to our national competition.

Remove McGuire, Gordon & any Hawthorn person from AFL decision making.
There!
I've fixed it.

This is a cronyism issue in governance of the AFL per se. Cronyism is best overcome by a revolt which won't happen because it persists to maintain status quo and will impose control for as long as is possible. Changing cronyism by evolution is much much slower process.....awaits changes to personnel in AFL administration with mere hope the new are more enlightened. Frustrating for all non VIC clubs im afraid

It was tried in rugby league where the schism between Brisbane and NSWRL became so bad that 'super league' was floated for a while. Same issues there, same criticisms which bordered on mutual hatred in the end. The bad blood and the coup forced retirements of people like Arthurson avd Quayle who held to the cronyism ways of past and of Ribot in opposition

In a sense the 40 year deal to play all AFL GFs at MCG was a slap in the face to all those non VIC clubs seeking fairness for GF home advantage. 'We make the rules and so long as WE rule .....the heart of AFL will always be VIC.' was the message sent. Incredibly shortsighted cronyism. 40 years is an awful long time and much will change and the status quo won't survive. I can see a time when there are 4 or more sydney teams. Has to happen to make it truly national. First steps are happening now with the 60000 membership milestone for Swans becoming a heavyweight in numbers following recently becoming a heavyweight by sponsorship to be followed with greater financial success and heavyweight status there too in time

The cronies fear this because it challenges their myopic vic centric view of the world. The winds of change are blowing and can't be resisted either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back