Game Day Swans v Giants - Rd 12, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was hoping Taylor would have been given a longer run but I guess they want Blakey back in & GWS are tall so it makes sense... Just a bit of a shame.
Doesn't make any sense to me. The guy needs 4 weeks in the 2s, not 1 and back in against a team that should crush us.
Inept player management. Again.

I am not sure of the changes. If anyone has seen COR playing scratch matches, someone on another forum said he was just OK in the last one, I would be interested to hear. Blakey got some good feed back from the development coach but a spectator said he was pretty ordinary. Foot gor rave reviews on several fromlnts and even the critical spectator said he was very good and has been, according to reports, all year and deserves his spot.

So this is my conundrum. Blakey has been poor all year. He has one scratch match, in which one observer says he was poor, and he is back. This worries me as it sends a really poor message to the other blokes. You do not need to earn your spot in a Swans team. This is how sad our situation is. Too many injuries and out of form players get picked.

I think we will be slaughtered today. Not only badly beaten but annihilated. We definitely do not have the depth to combat them and we are missing too many of our elite players and playing injured players. That says it all. Playing injured and out of form players in hope of them performing at their top. As much as I love Sir Diane his hand was giving him real problems in the last match. Pies players were punching his hand which would not have helped. That is a dog act that the AFL condoned by the way. It takes between 3-6 weeks for a fracture to heal. Nobody can tell me his game was not affected as it was.

I hope we have a really good game but I can't see it. Yes we had the game to pull back Pies. But if they had been accurate we would have been punished. The other thing is if we waste the ball the way we did against Pies, especially bringing it forward, GWS will spank us. We have an inability to score. We started the season really well but we have had some really bad games. 39, 43, 26, then 60, 60, 48 & 41. This is definitely not inspiring coming up against a side that is capable of putting on a big score. I am only hoping their mids and forwards get lazy, their major problem is players failing to run both ways, and we kick accurately to position and take advantage. We waste over 75% of forward entries. In one match it was 89%. This is diabolical. I know these are only kids but the coaching staff do not seem to spend much time developing or maintaining skills.

I hope we do well but am not really confident on previous evidence that we have the capacity at this time to even compete against them.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

After being close to actually beating Collingwood last week after they gave us a big let off in the first Q, I think we will again match it with a weaker GWS team tonight than we have faced over time. We seem to have a bad one quarter lapse that undoes us but we don't give up & have been in nearly every game. Even the Saints game until that bad last quarter.

I'm looking forward to the game & hoping we don't have a big let down as other teams have had.

If we can kick straighter from our fewer opportunities than GWS will get, then we can win this.

Swans 9.8 62
GWS 8.11 59

Papley 3 goals, Reid 2 goals, Wicks 2 goals, Dawson 1 goal, Foot 1 goal.
Lloyd most disposals.
Sinclair to continue on from last week's improved ruck performance after the 1st Q.
Parker BOG.
Go Bloods!

After being close to actually beating Collingwood last week after they gave us a big let off in the first Q, I think we will again match it with a weaker GWS team tonight than we have faced over time. We seem to have a bad one quarter lapse that undoes us but we don't give up & have been in nearly every game. Even the Saints game until that bad last quarter.

I'm looking forward to the game & hoping we don't have a big let down as other teams have had.

If we can kick straighter from our fewer opportunities than GWS will get, then we can win this.

Swans 9.8 62
GWS 8.11 59

Lloyd most disposals.
Sinclair to continue on from last week's improved ruck performance after the 1st Q.
Parker BOG.
Go Bloods!

Think your scores are about right maybe shave off a goal or two as they struggle to score without Greene and we dont score much either.

Will be a dour low scoring struggle, been really impressed with Sinclair past few weeks has more than held his own against the league best rucks.

I am not sure of the changes. If anyone has seen COR playing scratch matches, someone on another forum said he was just OK in the last one, I would be interested to hear. Blakey got some good feed back from the development coach but a spectator said he was pretty ordinary. Foot gor rave reviews on several fromlnts and even the critical spectator said he was very good and has been, according to reports, all year and deserves his spot.

So this is my conundrum. Blakey has been poor all year. He has one scratch match, in which one observer says he was poor, and he is back. This worries me as it sends a really poor message to the other blokes. You do not need to earn your spot in a Swans team. This is how sad our situation is. Too many injuries and out of form players get picked.

I think we will be slaughtered today. Not only badly beaten but annihilated. We definitely do not have the depth to combat them and we are missing too many of our elite players and playing injured players. That says it all. Playing injured and out of form players in hope of them performing at their top. As much as I love Sir Diane his hand was giving him real problems in the last match. Pies players were punching his hand which would not have helped. That is a dog act that the AFL condoned by the way. It takes between 3-6 weeks for a fracture to heal. Nobody can tell me his game was not affected as it was.

I hope we have a really good game but I can't see it. Yes we had the game to pull back Pies. But if they had been accurate we would have been punished. The other thing is if we waste the ball the way we did against Pies, especially bringing it forward, GWS will spank us. We have an inability to score. We started the season really well but we have had some really bad games. 39, 43, 26, then 60, 60, 48 & 41. This is definitely not inspiring coming up against a side that is capable of putting on a big score. I am only hoping their mids and forwards get lazy, their major problem is players failing to run both ways, and we kick accurately to position and take advantage. We waste over 75% of forward entries. In one match it was 89%. This is diabolical. I know these are only kids but the coaching staff do not seem to spend much time developing or maintaining skills.

I hope we do well but am not really confident on previous evidence that we have the capacity at this time to even compete against them.

I think what have learnt is that there are two criteria for selection. The first is talent. Blakey, Elijah Taylor fit this group. For these guys they earn their spot because they have the talent, not the hard yards in the traditional sense. The second group are the traditional earners. Foote, Wicks etc. They don't have the prodigious talent and so need to earn their spot through hard work and consistency. No doubt this split approach has caused quite a bit of confusion and frustration for the second group. But I guess that is the way things go in this modern era.

Think your scores are about right maybe shave off a goal or two as they struggle to score without Greene and we dont score much either.

Will be a dour low scoring struggle, been really impressed with Sinclair past few weeks has more than held his own against the league best rucks.
Yeah I've been harsh on Sinclair because we've seen that even if he loses a tap out he would normally back it up with a contest at the drop of the ball & in those first few games after Naismith hurt himself, I don't think he gave his best efforts when not hurt himself. maybe harsh but he proved last week that he has ticker & shouldn't be picked at all if he can't regularly back up a ruck contest with some Mummy like contesting when the ball hits the deck. We need it.

The second group are the traditional earners. Foote, Wicks etc. They don't have the prodigious talent and so need to earn their spot through hard work and consistency.
These are the ones that build & continue the good culture at a club when they nail their opportunity & often they find some sort of success.

Sadly agree with much of this.
I would say that COR is at least good defensively (we'll need him to be) and is also one more bigger,strong guy in a position on the field - we'll need that too.

I game closer to ditching our forward coach and getting a good draft pick I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans 9.8 62
GWS 8.11 59

Lloyd most disposals.
Parker BOG.
Go Bloods!
I fear that any coach worth his salt looking at our teamsheet will simply tag Lloyd for most of the game and we get obliterated as Florent is left free to do what he does - butcher it.

I like the COR pick. He's tough, fast and willing to take the game on. He has attitude which I think we could use against a GWS who seem to like that "in-your-face" type of competition. Guys like Paps and Sinkers, who don't mind a bit of lip and happy to get up in an opponents face, are important against GWS IMO.

This premise helps me better accept Blakey's return to the side too - as I think he has that same aggressive mindset and attitude.

PS - Alas, Jones would've also been a good one here too. :(

Geez COR gets a bad wrap on here. He's not great but I also don't think he's had many bad games, if any. Is probably our most ambitious decision-maker in the back-half, and while he doesn't have the strike rate of say Rampe at pulling them off, if we are to continue with this corridor-based game-plan, we actually need guys willing to, y'know, use the corridor.

I also rate him in one-on-one in terms of defending his opponent in marking contests.

Where I think he needs to improve is just his overall game awareness. He loses his opponents in stoppages in defensive 50 and he needs to know better when to go and impact a contest and when not to. That was the key to Nick Smith's success IMO. Of all his great qualities, I think his best was trusting his fellow defenders and knowing when he was needed away from his opponent, and when he was needed to be stuck to his opponent like glue.

I like the COR pick. He's tough, fast and willing to take the game on. He has attitude which I think we could use against a GWS who seem to like that "in-your-face" type of competition. Guys like Paps and Sinkers, who don't mind a bit of lip and happy to get up in an opponents face, are important against GWS IMO.

This premise helps me better accept Blakey's return to the side too - as I think he has that same aggressive mindset and attitude.

PS - Alas, Jones would've also been a good one here too. :(
Agree on COR and the need play tough on GWS. But Blakey throwing his wheight around is just plain embarrassing. Try not being one of the worst and softest players in the comp before you bother with that would be my advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back