Sweet FA Season 16 Hall of Fame Inductions

Remove this Banner Ad

This is courtesy of okeydoke7
HALL OF FAME - IMMORTALS
For the first time, the SFA has upgraded two immortals in its Hall of Fame. Two better candidates could not have been chosen. There are two names that are synonymous with fantasy football, and they are our immortals. I caught up with the SFA's first HoF upgrades, boncer34 and Mobbenfuhrer , to find out what being immortal means to them.
MOBBENFUHRER
- 244 games, 158 goals.
- 2x Frankston Rover Award
- League administrator (S1 & 2)
- 3x All-SFA
- Creator of QOOTY and creator of league.
The resume says it all. And it could say much, much more. Mobbenfuhrer was perhaps the most obvious choice for immortal status in the SFA. The league creator and the creator of our beloved QOOTY is highly respected within the league. He has been here from the start. And even throughout his absences, he has been ever-present.
None of us would be here enjoying this great game without Mobbenfuhrer. Hundreds of people owe their enjoyment of this league to this great man. But the man himself is humble. "I'm rapt that people enjoy it, and that a community has developed around it. That said, it's footy fans that make footy fun and interesting (and viable), so it's just a handy way of giving something back. Especially considering when I hit a personal crisis in 2008/09 - Bigfooty's community makes up about 97.5% of those who basically saved my family's arse. This doesn't even come close to repaying that."
QOOTY - A History Lesson:
Okey - What encouraged you to create QOOTY?
Mobbs - Footy did it. Love supporting the game, watching the game. Qooty was a replacement for a Commodore 64 game I wrote called "Real Time Footy" in the late 1990s. Originally the intent was just to put in team sheets from the VFL/AFL, and play them against each other. There was no league option, no saving of stats, and the matches would be watched on screen by myself (and possibly mates if anyone was over for drinks or whatever).​
After starting a fake league from 1989 to 1996 of my own devising - with randomly created team names and randomly created player names (with first a ruler or coin and paper, and later some simpler programs) - Qooty was born and used from 1992ish. Friends selected a team to support. I followed the Nanburton Dingoes, we won our first flag in 1995 iirc. FitzroyRamone had a team, as did Slax . Though they cared more for a horse race punting game I had made at a similar time, then for the qooty. It was never originally meant for the internet, that only came when I joined Bigfooty in late 2000.​
In what ways have the league changed over your time in the game?
In the first season the teams were filled with player names "dobbed in". We didn't seek approval from the actual forum members :) It started as a bunch of scratch matches and become a six-team league, with the eventual premiers Seventh Wonders (now the West Coast Wonders) sneaking in at the 11th hour.​
At one stage matches were announced on a different thread to the "play-by-play" (commentary) threads. Stats were nonexistent, but I chased that up later with a crude website. A "Match thread" was commonly an opening post, two posted teams, the match, and about three other posts of "heh, cool". Commentary was much less varied, we've added to it heaps since, and IT WAS ALL IN UPPER CASE.​
One person would administrate it, meaning they'd be boncer34 , Logger , and the entire committee all wrapped into one. Recruiting rules, in fact rules as a whole, were essentially non-existent. There was one season per year for the first 5 or so years, it was a seasonal thing with a big off-season. Squads were much smaller (possibly only 20 players), and recruiting could only happen in the leadup to a season.​
2003 (Season 03) was a watershed year in which many supporter bases of AFL teams created clubs based on those real-life teams' supporters. Some of them would not pass the test of time, but others (the Gumbies, the Roys, the Bombers, the Furies etc) are still thriving in different states of attendance to their original target audience.​
The spread of the game to be used in other leagues was exciting, although of course it's tailed off now and there is really only one other competition (RFFL). sdraobsuA (I think the spelling is still a swear jar item), Take Forum, the PFFL, BomberTalk, Cann Cricket, the BRFFFFL in Bigfooty's Regional Boards, and the tragically aborted QFFL, there were quite a few comps around that time. Shame that it couldn't be sustained. Duplicating the same players over multiple leagues was overextending a bit, though.​
I missed a bit of the period where banter really took off. Real life had gotten to me and I was largely absent. When I returned, I hardly recognised the place. As most would know, a part of me has remained pre-postessional.​
Mobbenfuhrer admits to daydreaming about the potential of the league, but not to the extent of what it has become. "It grew quickly and I was on the hop to add functionality to, for instance, save the commentary files as text so that it could be pasted into a messageboard. The game is almost unidentifiable compared to what it was back then, development has had to chase the requirements of the league. Banter in the threads was always hoped for, but not to the extent that each thread becomes like the best of The Two Ronnies."

Mobbenfuhrer still loves the game and believes it can grow: "The expansion from 8 teams back to 10 is awesome. It could be 12 or 14. Wonaeamirri33 could be two teams all on his own. The history that has been created over more than a dozen seasons, in an ever-developing environment, always makes me moist. The number of people involved is also a bit of a thrill." He enjoys the work of a lot of current posters, particularly those that stay on track. "There are those who do huge amounts of work for the league, especially that bastard boncer34 who is tireless, also Logger , Eth , Broken ... those sorts of guys. Entertainment-wise, I look forward to every post from beez , while Dagless is ridiculously under-rated. The new breed of folks such as MD Wise Guy Sam and so on are adding even more value. And then there is Fred who is like the perfect "poster" for mine, measured, succinct, and not at all spammy, yet never wastes a post."

Mobbenfuhrer has his own vision on where he would love this league to be. "Spam" is the major negative for Mobbenfuhrer. "Posting for posting's sake, racking up post counts, thread sizes or these days "Likes" promotes mediocrity. A league barren on activity is a malnourished one, but one bursting at the seams with irrelevant chatter can sometimes make it look like a Youtube discussion." Although there is a place for discussion, and although activity is brilliant, Mobbs is steadfast in his belief that the discussion should not become a benchmark that outweighs QOOTY performance. He also regrets the fact that many separate leagues have fallen through, and would love to see the game expand to other leagues. The minor bugs that have lead to humour within the league do frustrate Mobbs, "Having one bloke take a mark and then another guy taking the kick - there's only so many times we can pretend he was getting up too slowly from the effort. I have attempted to work these issues out of the code for 12 years! I've made some progress but there's still a sense of letdown for me that it isn't 100%." But for the rest of us, these code issues are endearing.

Mobbs was an inevitable selection for immortal status given he "made the thing." The title sits well with him, as long as it does not become devalued. It won't, he says, "as long as boncer doesn't get the same accolade, that's the main thing. The prick."

At the end of my time with Mobbenfuhrer, I asked him what he was most proud of. He posted nothing but a link. The link lead to the Fantasy Football League we know as the SFA. The same link I have saved in my favourites. The same league that so many people have visited and participated in over time. We can reflect on yesterday, we can hypothesise about tomorrow. But we can never forget that, today, we are all here enjoying ourselves because of Mobbenfuhrer and QOOTY.

BONCER34
- 214 games, 157 goals
- Mobbenfuhrer Medallist
- TFLUA-Tiger Award
- Administrator (S12 - Present)
- 7 time All SFA
- 2 time Premiership Player

Boncer34 is the biggest name in SFA football. Boncer has a strong persona and the ability to post on many different levels. Importantly, he added another element to his game. He is the league's longest serving administrator. "I only realised the other day I've been here in this role nearly as twice as long as anyone else." It is a massive effort by Boncer34. It is a role that gets little thanks. A lot of behind the scenes effort is required to be an admin in the SFA, and a lot of voluntary time must be sacrificed to fill the role. Doing it for so long, nearly twice as long as any others, and still maintaining a strong posting presence, has lead to Boncer's immortal status.

Boncer began his career with a streak off antagonism, yet managed to gain popularity. It was more than simply being right all the time, which is what he originally tried to convince me of. "Probably because when I started doing the antagonistic stuff it was still very new to the comp. Prior to people like myself, Harvs, Tarks et al coming in and slinging mud this league very much was a "Jolly good show chaps" type of attitude. So because it was different and unique, at the time, people enjoyed it because it was different to what they'd seen before." Boncer perhaps owes his career to dougthelegend who approached Boncer and asked him to join. It turned out this league was more his thing than the cricket league. A great decision, in the end.

Administration - An Overview
Okey - How did you rate the administration of your predecessors?
Boncer - I went through this with Juggs recently and as I said then I think FR was the best, this place moved forward quickly with him at the helm. Once he left we had Tiger in place who early on did ok, but it became very clear very quickly that was largely due to the shadow of FR still looming over. Once all of FR's influence had vanished to be quite frank the league went backwards and Tiger proved he wasn't up to the task. This of course made it very difficult for Doggies when he took over as he had to stem the bleeding of the comp, which I think he did quite well. Doggies cops a bad rap because people tend to only remember the fact we cut sides and the league shrank under him, but whats forgotten is the fall under him was less then under Tiger.​
As for the ones before FR, probably shouldn't comment on what I don't know.​
What are the biggest moments of your period in the top job and what changes have been made?
Off the top of my head opening up the rules and trying to simplify them a bit more is one change. Plus trying to be a little more flexible around personal circumstances when discussing rule breaks is another. When Juggs took over from EBIAC the Demons broke a rule, maybe late team submission, because Juggs got the role on the Friday (Saturday?) that teams were due and simply hadn't got around to it. I remembered the s**t storm that exploded after that when I wouldn't penalise him because as he pointed out it was unfair to dump the Demons with a penalty because their captain pissed off. That of course led to the infamous "Boncers Law" rule which again saw a few people pissed off about me not being super strict with the rules.​
I think the other things would be seperating simmer and admin roles, because to be honest doing them both is a hell of a lot of work to ask one person to do for diddly squat plus of course the Hall of Fame introduction.​
Do you think you will be remembered more for your time as admin or more for your general posting?
Both. Older posters will remember me from when I terrorised them with outrageous threads and comments where as the newer guys have never seen that side of me thus can't remember me because of it.​
Where do you see the competition heading in the future?
Hopefully to expand even further and have even more sides, I doubt we'll hit 12 at the end of this season but I think we've managed to consolidate 10 which people were sceptical about.​
How long do you expect to be in the position of admin for?
Untill I don't have the time for it. Which may be sooner then people think​

Boncer has been involved in many feuds over his time in the league, but not many that have evolved outside of match threads. In the past, he reflects upon match thread rivalries with the likes of LJP86. "Probably the only sustained ones which went for longer then match threads were with yourself, tim_saints and Kerrby. And if I'm being honest those 3 were easily the most enjoyable because whilst we were flinging s**t on here we were still chatting elsewhere and being friendly. We all knew that what was said on here wasn't personal and that it wasn't what we really thought." The last point has been a message echoed by Boncer throughout his career and as an administrator. That people needn't take things so seriously. That full on arguments and antagonism could exist within the forum, but that outside of it, it didn't matter. That two people could go toe to toe within the forum but remember the whole way through that none of it was personal. And most of it wasn't even honest.

Currently, Boncer is happy with where the league is at. We still have some top notch posters that keep him enthused. "I enjoy Wise Guy Sam, Eth, Beez, Itsmyshow and the like. Pretty much anyone that construct an argument and be able to defend it, even if they've been proven to be horribly wrong. In the past Tarks, Harvs, Wally and probably Ant555 (until he went troppo) were my favourites."

The title of "immortal" seems to suit Boncer. Even if he wasn't voted in you get the sense that Boncer would mount an imposing case for the tag to still apply to him. "Did I expect it when I started? No, I never though that I would play this game for so long. Now? Of course... I'm the most decorated player in SFA history (Mobbs said so) so it makes sense for me to be one of the first 2 to be given this honour."

Boncer has overseen dramatic change over his period as admin. Our longest serving administrator is not an "immortal" simply because of that. He playing career has been decorated. His posting career has been imposing. His leadership has been strong. He has helped to shape the careers if many posters, some who don't even realise it at the time. He has committed so much time and effort to the running of the game that we all enjoy. And now, he is immortal.

Mobbenfuhrer and Boncer34. It was the way it had to be. The two names that are synonymous with the SFA. Immortal status is the highest possible honour, and they both deserve it

The Hall of Fame is without a doubt the biggest personal honor that is handed out in the SFA. This award is one which posters do have control over their fate, posters can work their way into reckoning for this award of their own bat. The two posters which have been inducted this season are certainly two posters who have done that.

First I would like to congratulate Broken for his entry into the illustrious company that the HoF provides. I managed to catch up with him and get his thoughts on his induction and all things SFA.

What got you started?
When I got on to Big Footy it was just for the Fitzroy board. When Mobbenfuhrer put out a call for a new team I heeded the call in my trademark confidence swagger
I'll warm the bench if you need men....I won't have to wear the yellow tracksuits (circa 1996) will I?
Who has been your biggest influence?
Mobbs without a doubt. He got me in to the league, his siren call lured me back and I'm always annoying sounding him out about Roys related stuff.

Best "friend" in the league?
Outside of many great guys at the Roys, I'd have to say pantskyle who I really enjoyed having as a teammate and, as maligned a group as they were, I enjoyed getting to know some of the Flogcutter guys away from the game.
Biggest rival in the league?

I don't believe I have a rival, or am unaware who considers me one. I'm here to have fun and there's too much crap outside of this game to worry about shitfights. Maybe the sim come to think of it.

What has been your favorite SFA moment league wise?
The past two Grand Finals have been pretty epic on field. Off field I like the evolution the league is taking beyond the match threads in to media articles, stats and now podcasts.

If you had to pinpoint the highlight of your career, other then this, what would it be?
I'd have to say the Roys premiership and my Mobbs medal wins. Unfortunately it was a looong time ago and I hope to add another premiership soon.

What does the HoF mean to you?
A lot of people have been involved in the SFA and made big contributions to help it get to the point where it's still strong 10 years later. The HoF is a great way of recognising those people and it's humbling to be included with them.

Did you ever expect to get into the HoF?
No. I feel there are more deserving people than me even if I did. I have reasonable career stats (plus 0 career hitouts) but to be brutally fair I don't think I've done enough outside the game to warrant inclusion. I've only been a captain for 4 games and I've done nothing officially for the league - if anything I feel I've been judged on my return to the SFA which I feel is equal to many others in that timeframe.

If you could change one thing on your personal time in the SFA what would it be?
Probably that I walked away from the SFA in Season 8. If it wasn't for Mobbs having an inspirational burst in running a retrospective Roys FFC B&F - and PMing me about it - I would have missed out on something that currently gives me a lot of laughs.

If you could change one thing on anything in the league what would it be?
More victories for the Roys. ;) League wise I wouldn't mind seeing an officially appointed Admin 2IC. Not a slight on what boncer is doing, but in case any admin cannot do his role for a while or steps aside there is a ready made replacement.

Do you think the league has changed? How so?
Absolutely, in my first go round there was hardly any pre-match discussion and only a few people made new threads. Now the activity is through the roof (and in the toilet at times). Now you have personalities to go with the names and it's added a new dimension. Then there's the extra stuff beyond the matches and ladder.

Do you have a retirement plan?
Wherever my SFA path takes me, I'm sure I'll retire a Roy. But I haven't given it any thought yet. It all depends on how well my pumpkin shares are performing.

Would you ever consider leaving the Roys?
I am chasing the elusive 2nd Roys flag. Winning another Roys premiership might see me looking for a new challenge.

How long, approximately, does the stats take you and what drives you to do it?
Last year it was a necessity due to the problems after Round 1. It seemed like everyone was asking if it was going to be done and who was going to do it but nothing was happening, so I said "**** it" and took it upon myself to do it. This year people wanted to see it again and I'm happy to do it as it wasn't going to take too much of my time - it takes about 30 minutes to copy and sort the stats. The hardest part is posting them.

Has your second stint been better then the first?
First stint : inactive off field, good on field. Second sting : active off field, terrible on field.
You could say it's a push, but I am enjoying the SFA a lot more this time around.

Can you ever see the Roys win a flag?
For a team that has been going so long to have the worst winning percentage, surely things have to statistically balance out at some point don't they...Don't they? Please tell me they do.

Do you think the Roys get unfairly stuck with the "inactive" tag
I think so, it's a tag that has stuck with us for whatever reason. Over the past few seasons I think the Roys numbers have matched, if not bettered, some of the "active" teams.

and do you think your work with the club goes under appreciated?
I'm sure the Roys appreciate what I do for the club, but I'm sure some things are not known about or appreciated outside the team (like the Baggy 'rilla and the Roys B&F counts) as they aren't on the SFA board.

How important is your Mobbs medal to you? (You did win one didn't you? I'm sure you did)
Yeah I did, although it was that long ago I've almost forgotten about it myself. As I spend more time around here I realise how well the medal is perceived so I appreciate being one of the handful of winners.

Anything else you wish to add?
Probably more serious than is the norm for me, but I just want to say thanks for those that voted me in to the SFA Hall of Fame. I know I downplay myself, but I really appreciate it that you think I've been a valuable enough contributor to the SFA to warrant being inducted. Also for those that nominated me initially, thank you for thinking my input to the SFA deserved Hall of Fame selection.

There we go folks, whilst the man may think he doesn't deserve it you cant deny that as someone who is a premiership player, mobbenfuhrer medalist, played 176 games, kicked 64 goals and strong off field contributor few have a better resume then Broken.

The second inductee is one which I personally enjoy but that would surprise few as its my privilege to announce the second inductee is none other then Tarkyn_24, I also managed to catch up with him before he jetted off around the globe.

What got you started?

I was introduced to the league by a friend from school and current Royal The Reaper. While he drifted into obscurity during my first season I decided to stay.
Who has been your biggest influence? Early on I had a very good relationship with TFLUA-Tiger and he was a massive help and indirect influence on the formation and growth of the RFFL. Obviously I've spent a lot of time on list with boncer34 and we've got a lot of history as being partners in crime and Biggie was what made me leave the Demons for the Hawks. Hard to split the three.

Best "friend" in the league?

Excluding The Reaper it'd probably be boncer34. I know we've been a bit of a sounding board for each other and we've both done really well as a result. Snappy! would also be quite a good friend, and Claypigeon is good value, even for a Carlton supporter.

Biggest rival in the league?

I don't know that I really have one, but for a while all of Gus, Juggalo Balla and Freakie had a vendetta against me after they didn't take kindly to an ex-Buller captain getting stuck into his old club and then looking to return to help them out. Maybe Filthy Sanchez, he's not my favourite poster.

What has been your favorite SFA moment league wise?

Probably crossing to the Hawks and some of our early exploits that culminated in a premiership. larrikin, wce_all_da_way, gilbert Hodge, Hawks1523 and Biggie all through the midfield and YOTC dominating full forward.

If you had to pinpoint the highlight of your career, other then this, what would it be?

In a SFA context, captaining the Demons. I still have a massive respect for that club, but I think I turned it around and gave it direction. The style of posting changed massively after I left and they're now a unique bunch, but I think the work I put in there saved a club that was very seriously being considered for a merger.

What does the HoF mean to you?

I think it's just the recognition that seven years and eleven seasons of contributions has been recognised by the community. Sometimes it's easy to feel underappreciated, especially when in my case a lot of my early work for the SFA probably isn't recognised by a current crop of players because they started while I was more focused on the RFFL.

Did you ever expect to get into the HoF?

Honestly, yes. Even with much of my best work occurring elsewhere, I had faith that there would be a few staunch supporters who recognised my ethic, particularly in the past. These are probably the posters that are also responsible for my reputation carrying even in my less active periods, because these are big competition players that make it quite obviously known who they value and who they don't. If they value you, the league takes notice.

If you could change one thing on your personal time in the SFA what would it be?

I don't regret my work in the RFFL, but I probably would've received the recognition I'm receiving now well in the past if I'd put that effort toward the Demons. Then again, I'd probably be premiershipless as well.

If you could change one thing on anything in the league what would it be?

I'd formerly have said that it needs to be a bit more hard edged, but I think the league's transitioned to a more stable posting state now. Maybe less spam, there's a few teams I don't like playing because of how they post.

Do you think the league has changed? How so?

It's definitely matured under boncer34. I love the emphasis on stats that now exists here, I feel that that was the main point of difference between the RFFL and SFA in the RFFL's heyday and the SFA has bridged the gap and then subsequently surpassed it by the length of Flemington, particularly in the last couple of seasons, thanks to Broken, Eth and co.

Do you have a retirement plan?

12% of my Hawks salary gets put into a self managed super fund which is starting to look very enticing.

Some would argue that your best work was done elsewhere in the RFFL, agree/disagree? Why?

Yeah, it was for sure. The posters I brought over would know how tirelessly I worked to make that competition a good one, and for a long time it was. I don't want to bignote myself, but when I got burnt out by the effort it involved I pretty much killed it through my own actions and indifference. That said, it's still functioning and also into it's tenth or eleventh season so obviously for it to still exist I must have done something right.

Do you regret leaving the Demons?

At various stages I do, but generally not. I would've missed the opportunity to play with a diverse range of posters that I aspired to be like at the Hawks, and that moulded and changed my posting. If I'd stayed, the Demons would probably be very similar to the Gold City Royals last season in terms of the nature of posting. I did everything I could for that club and my decision to stand down from the captaincy was a selfless one because I had aspirations at the time to grow the RFFL and I couldn't commit my life to a screen.

Would you like to become captain again?

I actually would. I know my effort at the Hawks was a pretty dismal one but I was very time stretched and it was just a case of the right opportunity emerging at the wrong time. I think my posting in the past season and a half has been very strong and despite falling out with Itsmyshow briefly I feel I still have a lot to offer to the club. If the choice is to stay at the Hawks as a regular poster rather than become a captain elsewhere, my aspirations now are the complete opposite to what they were when I assented to switching to the Dragons in the off-season.

Do you think any posters are good enough for your sister?

Internet creeps? Nup.

Did you mention this league when you tried for beauty and the geek?

I mentioned that I was involved in a number of online fantasy footy competitions and outlined the extent of my participation in each one, yes. I don't think I sold the concept particularly well though, I think the producers probably felt I was talking about a SuperCoachesque competition and that probably actually worked against me. If they knew the reality of this comp I would've been on that show in a flash, and probably $50,000 richer now.

You've advocated changes to the sim before, what changes would you like to see?

I obviously wanted to develop a salary cap system, with marginal impacts to form depending on how much a player gets paid. Similarly, nominating preferred positions or even skills to give those skills a slight boost would add another point of interest in the comp. All of a sudden teams loadeded with 20 gun midfielders might look to trade for the consistent half back flanker who'll get the slight boost to stats and might get the team over the line to a premiership.

Are you happy with the Hawks?

Very much so.

So unlike Broken Tarks has no issues in declaring that he thinks he should be in the HoF and he wouldn't be Tarks if he didn't think that. Alf Medallist, Premiership player, 199 games, 299 goals, former captain and massive off field influence it is hard to argue against his inclusion.

Both Broken and Tarkyn_24 have earned their selections and I would like to be the first to congratulate them again on their honor.

I must be getting old, I don't remember having any beef with Tarks? Well done on the new HoF inductees and the Immortals, I tried killing Bonce once and he didn't even flinch so pretty much a give away...

Well done to both the immortal inductees. I can't say I disagree.:thumbsu:

Well done to both Broken and Tarkyn_24 on your HoF induction.:thumbsu:

Commiserations to those that missed out, particularly larrikan who I thought was a bit stiff. Straighten up son.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats to all.
Mobbs and Boncer deserve their immortal status. Boncer is probably a bit premature, but I guess his sexual failings shouldn't stop hold him back from immortaliy.
Tarks deserves HoF as much as anyone in the game, and Broken is also a deserving inductee.

Happy to mention only three names in the lead up to the announcement and see all of them awarded :)

Congrats Broken - Well deserved mate (glad I get to play along side you in Origin each year - the cricket is good too)

Congrats to my new mate Tarkyn_24 too - Didn't mention you in my prediction which was a huge oversight - I think I still cannot get past you being a Wobble and a Hawk but you're alright. ..
(maybe we'll get to play along side each other one day)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back