Autopsy Sydney defeat Thugden by 30pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the replay now and a few things really stand out to me..

1. McLean & McDonald are a very, very handy duo. Only three games so it's a small sample but you can sort of see how each will shine more than the other depending on the way we're playing. Last night and against Melbourne when it's a bit tighter and scrappier, McLean comes into the game with his ability to work up the ground and be a link-up player, then push forward to get on the end of a few high balls coming in. McDonald on the other hand may thrive more when the ball is coming in fast, and deep, where he can use his great athleticism and skill to win ground balls and snap clever goals like he did against the Pies.

2. Horse is connecting with the players in a big, big way at the moment. Even when the execution isn't there (such as the first half last night), from the opening bounce of every game so far it's been blatantly clear what we wanna do and how we wanna play in that game. Every member of the team knows it. As I mentioned earlier, the fact we've played three very different ways yet the team has completely bought into each style on the night IMO says a lot about his coaching right now. If he wasn't in Mark Neeld areas with one particular player it'd be almost flawless coaching.

3. I really like what Campbell brought to the side last night. He has a sort of calming ability to kinda mop up a mess we're in. A concern I had of his in his first few years was that he was SO speedy as a player that everything he did was in fast-motion. It felt a bit rushed and manic, which wasn't ideal for a player possessing such good skills. This year so far, although quiet last week, it feels like he's playing a lot more naturally. Backing his speed in but not making it the default setting he plays in. As a result I think he's taking cleaner possessions and therefore distributing them better, and smarter.

Apologies for the rant.
Does the Neeld reference mean Horse has an ongoing feud with one particular player? Don't know all the details of Neeld's coaching history, except he was shithouse.

The more I watch the replay, the more pissed off I am with the spirit with which Essendon played the game. A team that has come to terms with its own ineptitude and has resorted to sheer thuggery. I’d like to thanks the AFL for allowing Maynard to end Baryshaw’s career without so much as a week off. Then 2m Pete effectively does the same thing and isn’t even deemed a free kick. WT absolute F??? I just hope Cunningham recovers and plays again.
The cheap hits is pretty much why I have always hated North. Now that they are playing without that crap I can watch them.

Yes.
I can see another Essendon scandal season as the competition slowly wakes up to what they are doing and says enough is enough.

Does the Neeld reference mean Horse has an ongoing feud with one particular player? Don't know all the details of Neeld's coaching history, except he was shithouse.
No feud at all, just was terrible at coaching. Got sacked with a win-loss record of 15% (!!)

If Fox is fit to play...

Out: Cunningham, Warner
In: Fox, Mitchell
Sub: Mitchell

Wicks remains in the 22. Wasn't at his best, but I think he finished off last year well and has been good as sub, so needs to be given more opportunity.

Fox goes down back to replace Cunners, plays on one of Martin or when Bolton is forward, couple of other smalls there too.

Not ideal being sub on debut, but it's not like the medi sub days, you'll get a chance. Mitchell with 30d, 10m, 4t, 9clr, 1 goal today. I'd be alternating Warner and Mitchell as sub (whoever is sub doesn't get a VFL game next week) until we get players back and the sub is someone currently in the 22.

I think Horse was more so upset at the Bombers and their cheap shots. In the main, at least from his veiled words and demeanor in that presser.

He looked most unhappy. It is rare for him to comment in such a manner.

Seemed clear to our players the Dons were operating to instruction. Papley and Heeney both commented.

Both him and Jordan have worked their way into all 3 games after half time after slow starts. Both will continue to work their way into our game style and processes and only get more consistent over 4 qtrs. Both will have a big say in our fortunes this year.
Even though playing well I can’t see Jordan in the 22 when Parker , mills and Adams are fit

For a large part. They held their structure and ground positioning very well. Don't like to give Scott credit but had Horses number for large parts.
Swans won all 4 quarters (first time this season). Bombers had a decent first 15 minutes of the game and hung in the second quarter. Second half the game drifted away from them.

On that basis sounds like Scott had an English cricket team type moral victory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans won all 4 quarters (first time this season). Bombers had a decent first 15 minutes of the game and hung in the second quarter. Second half the game drifted away from them.

On that basis sounds like Scott had an English cricket team type moral victory.
Still annoying they scored over 100 though

Love love love the Grundy and Heeney combination. Completely tore the game open in the second half.

Agree with the sentiments that Grundy was beaten first half and then lifted and got on top.

I also think the fact that Essendon tried to double team him is a fantastic sign and I hope more teams do it. Any team that's wasting a selection on a second ruck is a great thing for us IMO. Just makes it easier for us to carve teams up at ground level.

Definitely. BUT we lost our best lockdown small defender in the first couple of minutes and our best KPD in McCartin had one of his worst games in a while, and we still won comfortably, so that's a positive.

Definitely. BUT we lost our best lockdown small defender in the first couple of minutes and our best KPD in McCartin had one of his worst games in a while, and we still won comfortably, so that's a positive.
Life Of Brian GIF by Monty Python

I mean true. Plus we average more for than that 101 conceeded anyway. Guess that last stringer goal annoys me

It's all context I guess. Essendon are renowned for scoring from centre bounces and they had 16 centre clearances last night. So if you don't beat them in the midfield they'll always rack up a pretty decent score.

Even though playing well I can’t see Jordan in the 22 when Parker , mills and Adams are fit
Corey Warner won't be there, Wicks perhaps and even Amartey if we are to tall. Jordan was recruited for a role, is playing a role without claiming superstar status by any means so I think you will be surprised. Longmire is pretty patient with his role players as witnessed by the patience he had with a now resurgent McInerney the past couple of seasons. That has paid off in spades now.

Last edited:
just moved from media thread..

Matthew Lloyd on the Sunday footy Show talking about the bombers
"They've got to keep going in the 'Essendon edge' way, because that is where they'll get close to winning a final sometime soon"
hahahahahahahahahahaha
lol cheers..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back