Preview Sydney Swans vs GWS, Saturday April 17 @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, our two least convincing wins (Adelaide and Essendon) were at the SCG. We looked far better at the Gabba and MCG.
We were up 51 points at three quarter time against Adelaide. I wouldn't have said that was unconvincing. Put the cue in the rack a bit after that which was disappointing.

Gabba - 156m - 138m
SCG - 155m - 136m

I personally think it was more that Adelaide and Essendon took it up to us (plus inaccuracy vs Bombers), for longer, than Brisbane at least. Hard to say that Richmond don't play the G well either to negate any advantage we think we had.
I think you're right.

In regards to dreaming about moving to ANZ...

ANZ Stadium- 161m - 118m

I don't know that a narrower ground like that would suit us when we're looking to run and carry and break the lines. You want more width for players to spread. That's a good 20 metres narrower than the MCG.

The thing we are doing so very differently this year is we are pushing forward to pressure the opposition ball carrier as opposed to dropping back and zoning off to get the stop in our back half and rebound. Irrespective of the length of the ground, we're forcing more turnovers is our forward half and kicking precisely into our forward 50.

I don't think the SCG is such a disadvantage for us.

Last edited:
I think you're right.

In regards to dreaming about moving to ANZ...

ANZ Stadium- 161m - 118m

I don't know that a narrower ground like that would suit us when we're looking to run and carry and break the lines. You want more width for players to spread. That's a good 20 metres narrower than the SCG.

The thing we are doing so very differently this year is we are pushing forward to pressure the opposition ball carrier as opposed to dropping back and zoning off to get the stop in our back half and rebound. Irrespective of the length of the ground, we're forcing more turnovers is our forward half and kicking precisely into our forward 50.

I don't think the SCG is such a disadvantage for us.

There's definitely been a drop in SCG form over recent years, but that's probably also us being worse in general. Hard to judge vs the new-ish game plan yet. Interestingly probably 2 of our best performances last year were at Optus vs GWS and Metricon vs Cats (both narrower), but then MCG is wider. So the only conclusion I have is that it's probably not the dimensions of the SCG at all. Maybe we like playing away, maybe the sample size so far with the new approach is too small, maybe vs Bombers it was our general inefficiency and the conditions.

There's definitely been a drop in SCG form over recent years, but that's probably also us being worse in general. Hard to judge vs the new-ish game plan yet. Interestingly probably 2 of our best performances last year were at Optus vs GWS and Metricon vs Cats (both narrower), but then MCG is wider. So the only conclusion I have is that it's probably not the dimensions of the SCG at all. Maybe we like playing away, maybe the sample size so far with the new approach is too small, maybe vs Bombers it was our general inefficiency and the conditions.
I think the whole gameplan of allowing our back six to soak up attacks and rebound backfired on us at the SCG when we starting getting towelled up in contested possession and the fact that we couldn't effectively transition into our forward attacking half. When we tried to rebound out of our back half it would generally break down in the middle meaning that, on the shorter ground, it was a single kick for the opposition back into out defensive 50. We gave up a ridiculous number of inside 50s in games.

We're now starting to control the battle for territory so its sits in our forward half more often. In that case the shorter SCG is a strength rather than a weakness.

I can't get to the game on Saturday as I am dog-sitting in Townsville, so my two tickets in the red zone will not be used.
If anyone is interested PM me and I will email them to you.

No matter what happens in this game you are winning on Saturday! Dog-sitting is the dream!

Having Mills play in a role where he's done well the last five years and then two young guns filling his shoes in the midfield isn't what I would consider to be falling into a heap...
Creative license is allowed in forums! Just take it with a grain of salt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Rowy wasn't coming in off an injury, I'd agree with this

Possibly, although we saw round 1 that even when not in the best shape he can still be a very good player.

I do wonder if he needs a tune up in the VFL first, even just a half. Nearly a month in between games with not a lot of training in between isn't ideal for a 20 year old. However I'm guessing he will be straight back in.

Possibly, although we saw round 1 that even when not in the best shape he can still be a very good player.

I do wonder if he needs a tune up in the VFL first, even just a half. Nearly a month in between games with not a lot of training in between isn't ideal for a 20 year old. However I'm guessing he will be straight back in.

Say it ain't so.

Who has a 30th start at 6:30!

And that's after he pushed back from 6pm! Yeah very underwhelmed and he's the first of the group to hit 30 so setting a low bar..

I'm thinking of hiring out a house in the Hunter for everyone next year for mine which is a little better..

In: Rowbottom, Melican
Sub: Hayward
Simplest and most sensible.
Melican one for one
Rowy and the other mids can push out and forward a little, certainly JMac, Florent and Blakey can do time at high half forward.
If we lose a back, Mills can go back and Florent into the middle with Hayward up forward. If we lose a forward Hayward one for one.
Simples.

And that's after he pushed back from 6pm! Yeah very underwhelmed and he's the first of the group to hit 30 so setting a low bar..

I'm thinking of hiring out a house in the Hunter for everyone next year for mine which is a little better..

and a 7pm start ... go wild!

Your mate is a real wild one! I had a birthday party once start at 7, only 4 people turned up until closer to 9PM when the rest arrived. Never made the mistake of starting too early again

Simplest and most sensible.
Melican one for one
Rowy and the other mids can push out and forward a little, certainly JMac, Florent and Blakey can do time at high half forward.
If we lose a back, Mills can go back and Florent into the middle with Hayward up forward. If we lose a forward Hayward one for one.
Simples.

I said that in a meerkat voice

Your mate is a real wild one! I had a birthday party once start at 7, only 4 people turned up until closer to 9PM when the rest arrived. Never made the mistake of starting too early again

Eh we're all married so it's not likely to be a rager in any sense, but I'll be going out after with a few to kick on so I'll do my best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back