News Talia Cleared - Case Closed

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would we fine him?
If the accusations are correct then what he did was substantially different and had a significant impact on the outcome of what was a close game. Footscrays loss in that game cost the club and if he was even partially at fault then the book needs to be thrown at him, not the Swans, you've traded him in in good faith, good luck there. maxwells family took a punt on something which was irrelevant to the end result, Talia is accused of divulging game strategies which subsequently impacted the result in a final.

No its the same thing - telling a family member where your starting the game is divulging game strategies whether you like it or not. End result doesn't matter.

At the very least he destroyed what little trade value he had, particularly with the AFL dragging its feet as they have.

Could make a case that the Bulldogs did a good job of that themselves if nothing is proven or better yet it didn't happen.

If hes guilty the best case for the Swans is a fine to him and a fine to Adelaide. Worst case for you guys is hes suspended, most dogs fans would like to see him fined heavily and Adelaide crucified if its true they cheated to beat us.

Why is it up to the Swans to fine him, you had your chance but ran to the AFL without enough proof to do so and well here we are.

As a Crows supporter here is my 2c worth.

The Dogs got off to a flyer in that game, the dogs dominated every stat of the game except hit outs and goal kicking accuracy. If the Dogs kicked straight they would have won the game. Whatever was talked about obviously didn't help us.

Storm in a teacup.

The Dogs got off to a flyer in that game, the dogs dominated every stat of the game except hit outs and goal kicking accuracy. If the Dogs kicked straight they would have won the game. Whatever was talked about obviously didn't help us.

Storm in a teacup.

I think it's been established even from the initial Bulldogs' investigation that whatever occurred had no effect on the outcome of the final.

Interesting how the AFL has turned this into 5-6 week process and pretty much willfully stretched it out so that nothing was resolved before the end of the trade period.

Would have been very interesting if they came out with a not-enough-information/clear the player result but no club had picked him up in trade. Could have had a massive bearing on his career.

On a side note, wasn't this supposed to be concluded already last week? So what happened, AFL?

Last edited:
I think it's been established even from the initial Bulldogs' investigation that whatever occurred had no effect on the outcome of the final.

Interesting how the AFL has turned this into 5-6 week process and pretty much willfully stretched it out so that nothing was resolved before the end of the trade period.

Would have been very interesting if they came out with a not-enough-information/clear the player result but no club had picked him up in trade. Could have had a massive bearing on his career.

On a side note, wasn't this supposed to be concluded already last week? So what happened, AFL?

Tuco pretty sure that the AFL media dept now trade period is over are strongly encouraged to take annual leave till draft.

Barebone staff for any info exp draw release.

Storm in a teacup.

Yes our kicking ultimately cost us the game, as you said we were the better team on the day but still didn't win. If Talia shared the depth of information alleged that could well be what made our kicking relevant.

The game was close and in a close game any advantage is telling. The game may well only have been close because of Talia

And yes, a club with integrity isn't going to go crying and blaming others, my club took the loss on the chin and have said it didn't impact the result, what else are they going to say? If Adelaide used the information given in ANY way they acted poorly and should be penalized in some way. If Adelaide had any information they should have informed the Bulldogs and/or the AFL prior - that would be acting with integrity.

No such approach was made, therefore;
1. there was no information shared between the brothers (unlikely given the Hawthorn players actions)
2. that information was not shared with the club (ditto)
3. the club was informed, and chose not to inform the dogs/AFL - this leads to the suspicion that they used the information to their advantage. In a close game that would make all the difference.

The spread of knowledge within the Crows team was wide, wide enough to get to the Hawks players. Suspicions have been raised and not put to rest. The issue is not resolved by AFL yet, I suspect it wont be which will lead to very bad blood between the supporters (at least)

Storm in a teacup.
How the Dogs kicked, the result, etc is irrelevant. The opposition could play like utter crap but the fact is that if you used opposition intelligence to assist your performance then you have gained a benefit from it. The only thing I'd be looking at in the match would be how the Stringer v's Talia match-up went in that match. Stringer was reasonably quiet that game. Even then, if Talia failed to execute his instructions well it doesn't mean that he didn't receive that information.

How the Dogs kicked, the result, etc is irrelevant. The opposition could play like utter crap but the fact is that if you used opposition intelligence to assist your performance then you have gained a benefit from it. The only thing I'd be looking at in the match would be how the Stringer v's Talia match-up went in that match. Stringer was reasonably quiet that game. Even then, if Talia failed to execute his instructions well it doesn't mean that he didn't receive that information.
The issue most apparent to dogs fans was the speed with which our game strategies were nullified. Changes were matched up almost immediately, as if they were expected/planned for/known in advance. Clearly post match Beveridge was very frustrated

Stringer v Talia was one match up, the information allegedly shared was wide ranging and across the field. getting anyone at Adelaide to 'fess up to what they were told (if anything) will be the biggest issue Id think.

Perceptions are everything. In this case there is a clear perception of cheating and an unfair result. The slow and non-transparent investigation isn't helping the situation. If the AFL find nothing to answer then tell us so we can all move on, the longer this drags out tho .....

The issue most apparent to dogs fans was the speed with which our game strategies were nullified. Changes were matched up almost immediately, as if they were expected/planned for/known in advance. Clearly post match Beveridge was very frustrated

Stringer v Talia was one match up, the information allegedly shared was wide ranging and across the field. getting anyone at Adelaide to 'fess up to what they were told (if anything) will be the biggest issue Id think.

Perceptions are everything. In this case there is a clear perception of cheating and an unfair result. The slow and non-transparent investigation isn't helping the situation. If the AFL find nothing to answer then tell us so we can all move on, the longer this drags out tho .....

Wow the Crows knew the Dogs game plan in as much detail as the Dogs players, maybe even better! Or in reality the young Dogs team were having a bad day or maybe they were overwhelmed with playing finals and didn't play up to the level they had for most of the year, or their injuries didn't help, their goal kicking certainly didn't help them.

I would say Talia held Stringer on the day as Stringer pulled up sore after his snap for goal, and unfortunately for Stringer he didn't look as fast and agile after that, and he was on and off getting treatment from his physio.

The Dogs lost to St. Kilda & Melbourne during the season, was that because they are a young team and inconsistency comes along with that, or is there a Dogs conspiracy theory on those losses too?

Clear perception of cheating and an unfair result, give me a spell. Clutching at straws much? If the Talia brothers are punished in any way over this fiasco the AFL should just be done with it and change their name back to the VFL.

Last edited:

I get the sensitivities, but seriously delving into how quickly match ups were countered is a fools errand. I doubt any loss the Doggies had this year would have looked any different.

This isn't the NFL where running patterns and set plays from the head coach's sacred playbook are such precious IP that once lost they can never be countered.

Coaches these days are more involved in maintaining energy levels and monitoring player fatigue than anything else nowadays.

Granted there's a bit of science around the use of rotations, but the 'advantages' are counted in seconds not minutes, and quality sides don't get sucked in to the interchange revolving door anyway.

And by the finals, any team that doesn't have three or four off-the-shelf setups that every player is 100% drilled into executing to counter an opponent's kick-ins are kidding themselves. You don't need deep throat to reveal the in-depth strategies around creating a switch or finding space through the midfield.

And in the end even if all of that wasn't true the Dogs still should have won the game anyway.

It's time to move on for Doggies fans, I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Storm in a teacup.
Whether or not it influenced the outcome of the game is irrelevant, I don't understand how people have failed to grasp this. What went on? What info was leaked, if any? What was Michael's intent? Those questions have to be asked, even if it amounts to little. The AFL is already enough of a bush league industry without sweeping matters of integrity under the carpet.

I doubt Talia seriously intended to give anything away. If he had the brainpower to retain simple instructions let alone sophisticated club intel, he'd probably still be a Bulldog.

Hopefully that's the extent of it and everyone can move on. If the Swans give him a decent run at it, and he does what he's told, he'll play many games in the red and white.

Whether or not it influenced the outcome of the game is irrelevant, I don't understand how people have failed to grasp this. What went on? What info was leaked, if any? What was Michael's intent? Those questions have to be asked, even if it amounts to little. The AFL is already enough of a bush league industry without sweeping matters of integrity under the carpet.

I doubt Talia seriously intended to give anything away. If he had the brainpower to retain simple instructions let alone sophisticated club intel, he'd probably still be a Bulldog.

Hopefully that's the extent of it and everyone can move on. If the Swans give him a decent run at it, and he does what he's told, he'll play many games in the red and white.

Sh.t! Who knows?
Just by leaving the Bulldogs, he has increased his chances of winning a flag by 1000%.

Seriously!
This is the biggest cry of "victim" from a club since........................well since North do it every week!

Beveridge got his nose out of joint with Talia because a few clubs were most likely into him during the year.
Perhaps with the Swans getting into his ear early.

Smells of Doggie payback to me!

If the accusations are correct then what he did was substantially different and had a significant impact on the outcome of what was a close game. Footscrays loss in that game cost the club and if he was even partially at fault then the book needs to be thrown at him, not the Swans, you've traded him in in good faith, good luck there. maxwells family took a punt on something which was irrelevant to the end result, Talia is accused of divulging game strategies which subsequently impacted the result in a final.

At the very least he destroyed what little trade value he had, particularly with the AFL dragging its feet as they have.

If hes guilty the best case for the Swans is a fine to him and a fine to Adelaide. Worst case for you guys is hes suspended, most dogs fans would like to see him fined heavily and Adelaide crucified if its true they cheated to beat us.

Expectations over at the dogs board are that it'll be swept under the carpet. "AFL integrity", definitely an oxy-moron.

Why should Adelaide get fined.

Why should Adelaide get fined.
For failing to report they had intel (if they did in fact have it). I don't think it would be an issue had AFC come forward, contacted AFL saying there was a leak. Failing to report creates more smoke that leads to the fire. The fact that Adelaide players were reporting the info to opposing players the following week but didn't report it to the governing body speaks volumes for AFC and their professionalism and conduct. We (Fans AND the club) all acknowledge we aren't giving this any relevance to the result of the game, but fk me. The analogy of going to war on the football field is used alot, and if Talia did share info, it would be like telling giving the Turks the heads up that the ANZACS were landing at a certain spot. Sure, they might not know when but they'll sure as hell put more resources towards that area for when the landing did happen. Sure as hell wouldn't want that guy on my side. The fact Swans got him for next to nothing, and reading you guys got info from AFL, maybe there is something going to come of it, hence offering a 4th rounder. Guess time will tell though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back