Tasmania Tasmania Devils, welcome to the AFL. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5 (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

I kinda wish Blundstone Arena would fall into a sinkhole.

It should be a non-factor in this discussion.

David Barlett, Former ALP and Tasmanian leader, loves Basketball above anything else. He wrote a good article in the paper saying why Blundstone is crap and comparing it to his recent trip to OKC where he went to watch a game downtown and found the city bursting with energy. Stadiums in the middle of the city work so much better than stadiums built outside of one. Waverly to the MCG/Docklands...no contest. It is a theory proven all around the world.

The small-mindedness of certain people is pissing me off greatly. I really gotta stop listening to the news and social media. These same people keep saying that the AFL bullied us and are just plain negative. No, it was who first proposed it and it was because we knew Blundstone Arena is inadequate for a modern footy team in the biggest comp in Australia. We are about to blow the biggest opportunity in this state and if this goes, we will never ever ever get another shot. Heck, if this gets sunk, I bet ya MQ will still sit empty for the next 10 years or completely wasted on this which should be built elsewhere/

These people also never come up with an alternative plan for the AFL. The AFL will not care if they have no team here. They have shown that in the last 30 years. And rightly so. This team should stand on its 2 own feet. Haven't we learnt this lesson yet after 30 years of trying to get this team?

I will never forgive anyone who sinks this stadium. Doubly so if they then blame the AFL for this. This is all on us and the stupid pollies trying to get a quick vote rather than fixing the issue of Blundstone Arena for good. The more they lie or misrepresent, the more angry I get and the more likely I will vote solely on this issue and this issue alone. Heck, heard that cowboy hat person say this was the biggest infrastructure build ever in this state.......Guy is an idiot. Bridgewater Bridge is 786 mil.... Fairly certain that is a larger number. Of course, that has been delayed for far too long

There is a reasonable discussion about a stadium in here. It is not happening atm.

Agree, if anything, the Tasmanian government bullied the AFL into creating a 19th licence they didn't want. How would be the form to now get given the 19th licence, then try pull out of certain sections of the arrangement.

I was responding to your statement that it is proven all around the world, that simply does not hold true. I have provided two examples but there are countless others. The population size is irrelevant.
When it only takes 0.8% of the population to fill compared to 10% then yeah population size is pretty relevant.

I'd also argue that Wembley is still within reasonable access compared to everywhere else in London. Londoners are used to the 30min train ride from the centre to Wembley.

Tasmania state budget: $230m to boost Macquarie Point, stadium as infrastructure spend revealed​

"It’s official: The state government will spend $230m over the next four years on Macquarie Point and, as its centrepiece, a new stadium.
The state budget has revealed more detail on how the contentious stadium project will progress in line with Tasmania’s new AFL team and a commitment to fully develop Macquarie Point.

With the stadium not due for completion until 2028 or 2029, the initial spending starts slowly and ramps up in year four of this budget.

Most is due to be spent in 2026/27, with $125m allocated for that year.

There’s also $60m allocated over the next three years for an AFL high performance centre, with a location yet to be named.

“The government firmly believes that Tasmania’s new AFL team and the Macquarie Point urban renewal precinct will provide a major boost to economic growth in Tasmania,” said Treasurer Michael Ferguson.

The stadium forms part of an overall four year infrastructure spend of almost $5bn."

ABC article on Tas state budget also mentions this:

"But there's also an unexpected $22.5 million dollars going to the new club, as part of a "Tasmanian AFL club package".
The funds will support the establishment and initial operations of the AFL and AFLW club, starting from next year."

be interesting to compare/contrast this team/project with the green bay packers - are they at all comparable?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is very sad listening. Especially around 15 mins in…
I reckon the Premier needs to change the narrative. Say they have informaned the AFL that the stadium is unlikely to proceed and confirm the the licence will be withdrawn immediately. Might put Labor on the back foot if the public starts to understand that they are taking away their team.

Last edited:
This is very sad listening. Especially around 15 mins in…
I reckon the Premier needs to change the narrative. Say they have informaned the AFL that the stadium is unlikely to proceed and confirm the the licence will be withdrawn immediately. Might put Labor on the back foot if the public starts to understand that they are taking away their team.
I think this is premature. Obviously Stanfield's assessment is not what you want to hear if you're in favour of the stadium. Still, worth noting that his assessment could be wrong, and also those who oppose the stadium (as he apparently does) are naturally inclined to talk down its chances of happening. If you can convince everyone that the stadium is dead, then it probably is e.g. the upper house is more likely to vote against that bill if there's already a general acceptance that the stadium is not going to happen.

A key thing that the pro-stadium campaign has going for it is incumbency. The stadium has the commitment the Tasmanian Government, the Fed Government and the AFL, with money allocated in the State and Fed Budgets. The narrative needs to be that this is happening and will deliver Tasmania an AFL club and all the associated benefits, unless the whole thing is brought undone by the nay-sayers.

I think this is premature. Obviously Stanfield's assessment is not what you want to hear if you're in favour of the stadium. Still, worth noting that his assessment could be wrong, and also those who oppose the stadium (as he apparently does) are naturally inclined to talk down its chances of happening. If you can convince everyone that the stadium is dead, then it probably is e.g. the upper house is more likely to vote against that bill if there's already a general acceptance that the stadium is not going to happen.

A key thing that the pro-stadium campaign has going for it is incumbency. The stadium has the commitment the Tasmanian Government, the Fed Government and the AFL, with money allocated in the State and Fed Budgets. The narrative needs to be that this is happening and will deliver Tasmania an AFL club and all the associated benefits, unless the whole thing is brought undone by the nay-sayers.
After listening to that and getting some context, there's bit of anti-stadium bias from Stansfield and Townsend.
But it's going to be a tough process to get it ticked off.

Last edited:
Hope this stadium goes ahead. Would love to have Rinehart health right about now, they’d get a billion for the stadium, no taxpayer money required. Hopefully they’ll foot the bill for the good of the game there and the economy.

I believe the AFL and the Tas govt. will enter into an additional agreement to have Gather Round in Tasmania for the first x years of the new stadium's reign of 'terror'. 5 games in Hobart and 4 in Launceston.

Potentially as early as R1, Labour Day weekend, allowing the season to start before cricket has finished clearing off all the other grounds (this is useful because a 19th team and the resulting byes + 24th game [which will happen] extends the fixture). Ideally beginning with the new team's first match in 2028, though that may require the Tazmanian Devil to rapid build the stadium.

Thu Night: GWS v Tas (Hobart) - 23k
Fri Night: Adel v Coll (Launceston) - 27k
Sat Arvo: Carl v Syd (Launceston) - 27k
Sat Twi: NM v PA (Hobart) - 23k (DH)
Sat Night: Geel v WCE (Hobart) - 23k (DH)
Sat Night: Frem v Rich (Launceston) - 27k
Sun Arvo: Haw v WB (Hobart) - 23k
Sun Arvo: BL v Ess (Launceston) - 27k
Sun Night: Melb v StK (Hobart) - 23k
Bye: GC

200k through the gates, without double-counting, just like GR this year in Adelaide.

Imagine how much of a stupid idiot you'd have to be to campaign against that injection into the local economy, woweee.

I believe the AFL and the Tas govt. will enter into an additional agreement to have Gather Round in Tasmania for the first x years of the new stadium's reign of 'terror'. 5 games in Hobart and 4 in Launceston.

Potentially as early as R1, Labour Day weekend, allowing the season to start before cricket has finished clearing off all the other grounds (this is useful because a 19th team and the resulting byes + 24th game [which will happen] extends the fixture). Ideally beginning with the new team's first match in 2028, though that may require the Tazmanian Devil to rapid build the stadium.

200k through the gates, without double-counting, just like GR this year in Adelaide.

Imagine how much of a stupid idiot you'd have to be to campaign against that injection into the local economy, woweee.
Why would the AFL do that though? Not sure they really care about us that much to be honest.

Why would the AFL do that though? Not sure they really care about us that much to be honest.
As I pointed out, the season has to be extended to accommodate a 19th team, which means starting earlier when several grounds aren't available. But both Tassie grounds will be.

And they've got to do something with the 24th game that each team is going to be playing--like the recently added 23rd, it's probably not just going to be a standard H&A match.

As I pointed out, the season has to be extended to accommodate a 19th team, which means starting earlier when several grounds aren't available. But both Tassie grounds will be.

And they've got to do something with the 24th game that each team is going to be playing--like the recently added 23rd, it's probably not just going to be a standard H&A match.
It would be a huge boost to our chances though of a stadium, like if the AFL could come out and guaruntee a gather round in our first year, and at least one every decade. But the AFL will be more interested in the marketing opportunity of having gather rounds in NSW and even QLD.

It would be a huge boost to our chances though of a stadium, like if the AFL could come out and guaruntee a gather round in our first year, and at least one every decade. But the AFL will be more interested in the marketing opportunity of having gather rounds in NSW and even QLD.
24th game allows for 2 Gather Rounds per year.

Sounds nice. If it were to happen, I'd play games at Devonport & Burnie. 3 at Utas. 4 in Hobart

That apart I couldn't see it happening anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back