Tasmania Vs. Richmond - Will it be our new rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

We will lose a big part of our supporter base that's for sure.

Owell,they deserved a team way before Sydney imo,a true football state.

and blessed Richmond with some absolute stars.

Will be my second team.

There is a negative part of me though that thinks that the media especially the flogs at SEN are loving the fact our club will be torn apart by it.

And SEN will push for everyone to go there if it means our club disintegrates.

Whateley wanted rule changes when we were great,now trying to push Gale and Dimma out the door.

Mixed feelings.

Looking at my Framed photo of Disco's magnificent mark against the Hawks.

Don't forget us Tassie Tigers. :'(

Hearing Royce Hart's joy makes ma happy Tassie finally have their own team.

WE will have two Richmond teams in the AFL.

How could you not barack a little for them when a ton of Tigers will be behind them?

The new Tassie team will have bidding rights for kids of Tasmanians who have played 100+ games.

If Jack has a gun son that elected to play for Tassie instead of Richmond :mad:
the son will geta choice of 3 ...
1---nominate richmond
2-- nominate tassie
3--go into afl draft
they will onlyn have bidding rights if the son nmominated tassie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The new Tassie team will have bidding rights for kids of Tasmanians who have played 100+ games.

If Jack has a gun son that elected to play for Tassie instead of Richmond :mad:
If Jack didn't win a flag then yep it would be a 50/50 call.
But he won 3 so i reckon its 99.9% playing for the Tiges.

If it's a 'rivalry' it would be a friendly one, not like the other 'rivalry' type games where two clubs in the one city, or traditional enemies face off. They'd be more like our sister club to many Richmond people.

Like every footy loving kid growing up in Tasmania, from the day the AFL was established the dream was our own team.

I've thought about this a fair bit in recent days. The day Tassie enter the comp I'll have dual allegiances 50/50, be a member of both and if Tassie and Richmond faced off on GF day and it was for Tassie's first flag, I will be 100% for Tassie, reverting back to 50/50 forever after that day.

There's not really any other way I can do it and I expect the vast majority of Tassie Tigers will feel similar. There will be a drop-off over time where less Tassie kids coming through support Richmond, but over the next decade or two I reckon the impact will be minimal - there'll just be plenty of paying dual allegiance people like me.

I must admit I’m feeling a little torn that a conga line of Richmond legends are being talked about being the backbone of this new enterprise , reminds of my fav cricketer in the 80s Kepler wessels that retired from Australian cricket and went on to play for South Africa as they returned to the international arena . How dare he I thought at the time,,,,,,

Tassie ought have got a team before SYDNEY Bris GC and GWS. Also Fremantle. Fk off Fremantle.

I for 1 have already turned and can't wait to thrash you tired old yellow and black campaigners if it was this week we I mean you would be for it!.
What with our Tassie talent of that fk up at Nth Melb who isnt allowed to play, Tigers own whipping Boy Mansell, and ... some others, well... you're in for strife.

Years until Bankrupt? T-11

Sometimes known as the Welfare State, this Tassie team will be no different and will be propped up for the duration.
At least there is actually a clamour of fans actually wanting a team rather than just plonking a made up one behind enemy lines and hoping to garnish enough support from retired Victorians and 'the future'.

Hopefully get a few more cheap flights in and out too. Go Tassi!
on thread now: I reckon Tas will be loads of Tigers' 2nd fave team (once the broohaha over the ridiculous concessions stops smarting!)
Everyone has a fait de compleat that the team will be the Devils, well, I dunno about that; Im gunna suggest something that everyone will associate with the team, and its not some childish cutesy-wutesy animal:

......the mighty Tassie STADIUMS !

yes, AFL grounds proposed in Tas 3/600,000 pop compared to Vic 2/6.5 million, Qld 3/5.4mill we will be 10x ahead of the mainland states, and well ahead of the Territories too; it just makes sense
Stay on course the Mighty Many STADIUMS!

I too am feeling pretty good about Tassie finally getting what was long overdue. All this talk of them being our second team and a sister club of sorts will be gone once they start taking premiership points and some of our good young talent from us.

They will be fierce competition with a rabid supporter base. Not a plastic franchise with no soul. Hopefully we do develop a strong rivalry with them.

No. Rivals are born from history of hatred. Blues because of the 60's to 80's being the 2 big dogs and taking turns winning flags. Pies goes back to the neighbouring suburbs brawling and poaching Charlie Pannam and Dan Minogue from the pies and the ridiculous amount of Grannies we've faced off in 6 times. Can't forget the poaching wars of the 80's. Having a few great players from Tassie means FA rivalry wise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back