List Mgmt. The 2019 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

+1 for trading Brayshaw for Whitfield. If we get a pick at the pointy end a straight swap of that and Brayshaw may be overs. If we could trade an early first rounder for two mid first rounders and send one of those with Brayshaw that would be about right. But I imagine Melb will send pick 3 and Brayshaw as well as continuing to pay Brayshaws salary or something stupid.

+1 for trading Brayshaw for Whitfield. If we get a pick at the pointy end a straight swap of that and Brayshaw may be overs. If we could trade an early first rounder for two mid first rounders and send one of those with Brayshaw that would be about right. But I imagine Melb will send pick 3 and Brayshaw as well as continuing to pay Brayshaws salary or something stupid.

I think you are over valuing Brayshaw. Whitfield is a s**t load better player.

Always enjoy your articles The Dr and have previously advocating for trading Brayshaw, so certainly agree with this one. Particularly enjoy your Round table content and for those on here who don't get the ESPN e-newsletter every week, I recommend it.

On another topic, it really annoys me that again there's a possibly gettable deadset jet who meets our needs, yet apparently we're not going after him?!?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...n/news-story/430637aba766c9485000c9d12fd013b6

I wrote something on why it might make sense to trade Brayshaw. Many will disagree - some might not (Topkent I'm looking at you)

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/26952749/why-dees-dangle-angus-brayshaw-lachie-whiftield

Brayshaw personifies Melbourne's midfield issues - fantastic in the contest, tough as old boots and able to find the pill, but unreliable by foot. He has committed the 11th most turnovers in the league this year, with his disposal efficiency under implied pressure and physical pressure the second-worst and fourth-worst of the league's top 50 ball-winners.

But as a high draft pick coming off a third-place finish in the Brownlow, and in the prime of his career at 23, he would still command some serious trade currency if the Demons were so inclined.
Really well laid out, I’m not an advocate of trading him but what do you think would be realistic, I would think something in the first round range at the very least considering the investment and age of the bloke.

I wrote something on why it might make sense to trade Brayshaw. Many will disagree - some might not (Topkent I'm looking at you)

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/26952749/why-dees-dangle-angus-brayshaw-lachie-whiftield

Brayshaw personifies Melbourne's midfield issues - fantastic in the contest, tough as old boots and able to find the pill, but unreliable by foot. He has committed the 11th most turnovers in the league this year, with his disposal efficiency under implied pressure and physical pressure the second-worst and fourth-worst of the league's top 50 ball-winners.

But as a high draft pick coming off a third-place finish in the Brownlow, and in the prime of his career at 23, he would still command some serious trade currency if the Demons were so inclined.
Good article mate, well done.

I don't necessarily agree with the crux of it, but well researched a written none the less.

Two points tho, I still highly doubt we'll be allowed to trade out our 1st round pick this year, even if we seek permission to, which I'd have thought would be made less likely if Brayshaw - a young player - is involved in the trade ... and also, we drafted Oliver and Weid in 2015, not 2014

This whole "we can't move forward with Oliver, Viney and Brayshaw" reminds me of we can't play "Moloney, McLean and Jones" in the same midfield. We got good currency for McLean then blew it on Gysberts, ruined Moloney's career with Neeld and left Jones to toil 1 out in our midfield for years. I believe Brayshaw and Oliver are better footballers than McLean and Moloney and will be able to develop some versatility to their games - I'd like to see Oliver played down forward and perhaps Brayshaw at HBF, he had some really good games there when coming back from his concussion issues.

I don't like trading proven young guns unless they've totally stagnated and need a change of scenery and I think the problems at the Dees this year aren't any one player's fault. I mean, even Polec who is one of the best wingers in the comp hasn't turned North's ball use around. I don't know.

This whole "we can't move forward with Oliver, Viney and Brayshaw" reminds me of we can't play "Moloney, McLean and Jones" in the same midfield. We got good currency for McLean then blew it on Gysberts, ruined Moloney's career with Neeld and left Jones to toil 1 out in our midfield for years. I believe Brayshaw and Oliver are better footballers than McLean and Moloney and will be able to develop some versatility to their games - I'd like to see Oliver played down forward and perhaps Brayshaw at HBF, he had some really good games there when coming back from his concussion issues.

I don't like trading proven young guns unless they've totally stagnated and need a change of scenery and I think the problems at the Dees this year aren't any one player's fault. I mean, even Polec who is one of the best wingers in the comp hasn't turned North's ball use around. I don't know.

Didn't really ruin Moloney's career, he was a pretty limited footballer. A decent inside player who couldn't kick and preferred to lump it on the boot pretty much every time he touched it, and rarely to advantage. Clearly Moloney and Neeld didn't get along, but he didn't set the world on fire in Brisbane when he went up there.

Brayshaw and Oliver are definitely better players than Moloney and McLean, and if Brayshaw can sort his kicking out he'll be a great player for us. Oliver should be back to his best next season... hopefully. Might be tears otherwise.

Didn't really ruin Moloney's career, he was a pretty limited footballer. A decent inside player who couldn't kick and preferred to lump it on the boot pretty much every time he touched it, and rarely to advantage. Clearly Moloney and Neeld didn't get along, but he didn't set the world on fire in Brisbane when he went up there.

Brayshaw and Oliver are definitely better players than Moloney and McLean, and if Brayshaw can sort his kicking out he'll be a great player for us. Oliver should be back to his best next season... hopefully. Might be tears otherwise.
Limited sure but given the success of the Jamar-Moloney ruck combo if we could have put two decent distributors on either side of Moloney it might have been a winning combo. Similarly Gawn + Brayshaw, Oliver, Harmes and even Viney have shown to be incredibly productive as a combo before. See the Bulldogs game last year and the end of last season. The GWS game in particular we made that now-touted Giants midfield look pretty incompetent for entire periods of the day, and Whitfield had zero impact.

This is all a ridiculous case of throwing out the baby with the bathwater. There are about a dozen other endemic issues I can see being responsible for our demise this year (largely to do with the coaching) which I would fix before I started asking the question of whether having three of the better inside midfielders in the comp is undermining our ability to be competitive. Even from a personnel perspective don't torch the fabric of the team because of 12 weeks of struggle to get someone like Whitfield in as a panacea, you're just setting him up to come to us and fail when we then don't even have a system for him to fit into. Get Salem and Fritsch operating up the ground first, maybe, or allow for Oliver to get back to form after an incomplete preseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always enjoy your articles The Dr and have previously advocating for trading Brayshaw, so certainly agree with this one. Particularly enjoy your Round table content and for those on here who don't get the ESPN e-newsletter every week, I recommend it.

On another topic, it really annoys me that again there's a possibly gettable deadset jet who meets our needs, yet apparently we're not going after him?!?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...n/news-story/430637aba766c9485000c9d12fd013b6

We spoke to his management last year.

Coniglios? So are we of the opinion he isn't gettable for us?

I don’t know the outcome. All I know is that we’ve made contact.

My mate at GWS doesn’t give anything away on players they’re trying to sign.

Is he tho? He's a Restricted Free Agent, unless we can offer money that GWS can't match, which I'm not sure we can, we'd have to stumped up plenty to trade for him, which we definitely can't do.

With Hogan gone, Lewis retiring and a few others likely gone at the end of the year, I reckon we could throw a bit of cash his way that GWS can't match. Not like too many of our players are going to be in a great position to demand pay increases this year. GWS always seem to have salary cap issues due to having to retain players at a plastic club. I'd imagine one or two good players will shake loose after this season, as usual.

Heath Shaw, Ryan Griffen, Shane Mumford, Brett Deledio etc not to mention Ward and Scully.
Ward and Scully weren't traded, and the rest actively left their original club to go to GWS because of issues on and off field. I don't think Brayshaw at 23 years old is in the same position, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Ward and Scully weren't traded, and the rest actively left their original club to go to GWS because of issues on and off field. I don't think Brayshaw at 23 years old is in the same position, but correct me if I'm wrong.
You were implying no one would want to go north, whilst I doubt Brayshaw would it's not unprecedented.
Him moving to Perth is a possibility though

With Hogan gone, Lewis retiring and a few others likely gone at the end of the year, I reckon we could throw a bit of cash his way that GWS can't match. Not like too many of our players are going to be in a great position to demand pay increases this year. GWS always seem to have salary cap issues due to having to retain players at a plastic club. I'd imagine one or two good players will shake loose after this season, as usual.
Jonathon Patton, shouldn’t cost more than a 4th rounder and GWS want to move the big contract.

Jonathon Patton, shouldn’t cost more than a 4th rounder and GWS want to move the big contract.

Had pretty much forgotten he'd existed. Would have been a good one to get to the club while Misson was here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back