Autopsy The 2014 National Draft - All picks in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

We all have our opinions. In my opinion he was the best available run and carry player.. Laverde is a medium mid we don't need medium mids..

Medium mid? The kid is taller than Boekhorst, can run and carry, side step opponents and take a good overhead mark. He is nothing we didn't need at Carlton anymore than Boekhorst is. That's just rubbish. Anyway, Ima leave it here. Time will unveil all and I hope I am proven drastically wrong on this one.

My early winners are bombers with their limited picks. Melb and saints obviously also look like they have killed it but that should be expected with their picks. West coast an honourable mention. Sydney with Heeney may also be the real winners.

Can't really comment on any losers at this stage.

In terms of my club, it is a pass with possible upgrade.

Boekhorst is ready made two way runner best midfielder in WAFL at 21 y.o late bloomer is a good bet. Hoping for a Barlow affect...

Exactly, and those saying he would have been available in the rookie draft haven't been keeping their ear to the ground. A heap of interest in him from several clubs. May have been there at #28 but Carlton wanted him and DVR as outside run is what we are lacking. They may have got wind that someone was sniffing around before #28 and thought there was a better chance of DVR being there at that pick.

SP9Xtbp.png

awkward turtle
It appears the kid is more than a gun footballer, he knows about the game too! Perfect analysis!

Freo were not in the market for talls.

“We’ve added talls over the past couple of years, with Michael Apeness, Matt Taberner and Alex Pearce.

“We’ve gone out of our way to draft talls, so we thought we would start topping up our midfielders now.” - Brad Lloyd, Freo recruiting manager

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-11-27/freo-adds-four-midfielders
They couldn't do with a key defender like Durdin who slipped to the Roos? The kid is a gun..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I found it interesting that in a mid heavy draft last year, Freo took talls. Then this year is talked about as having great depth for talented KPPs and Freo draft mids.

As a Saints fan im happy because we nabbed the sliders in Acres and Goddard.

Will be interesting to see how Apeness and Weller go vs who Fremantle should have taken (per the 'experts') in Acres and Durdin

Very happy with De goey, Maynard & Goodyear real future midfielder class and grunt. Moore should be a 10 + year forward.

So, another Goddard slips through Carlton's hands and into ours. Thanks Blues!
Did you want to trade pick 21, pick 25 or picks 21 and 25 for Jaksch who chose Carlton over St Kilda?

Wouldn't shock after you traded a first rounder and the Jaksch selection for Tom Lee plus a second and third round pick.

It appears the Saints missed out on Jaksch or Laverde. Their pause was almost as long as the Suns who picked Garlett after missing out on Lever. Not that confident.

Long way back for the Saints who have a weaker midfield and list than Melbourne.

Which LaVerde would have provided in spades.

Not sure about that. I trust the recruiters with our round one pick takes the game on, is fast with a long kick. Just because he didn't play in the carnival doesn't mean he is no good.

Did you want to trade pick 21, pick 25 or picks 21 and 25 for Jaksch who chose Carlton over St Kilda?

Wouldn't shock after you traded a first rounder and the Jaksch selection for Tom Lee plus a second and third round pick.

It appears the Saints missed out on Jaksch or Laverde. Their pause was almost as long as the Suns who picked Garlett after missing out on Lever. Not that confident.

Long way back for the Saints who have a weaker midfield and list than Melbourne.
WTF? That post makes no sense whatsoever. Just like your club's selection of whatshisname over Laverde and Goddard, when you almost certainly could have gotten him at pick 28.

As for Tom Lee, he individually in the end effectively cost us a pick around the 20 mark in that (compromised) draft, because we gave up pick 12 for all of Lee, pick 24 and pick 43 and if you wanted to work out what Lee cost us on his own, in terms of a draft pick, you would do the equation of 12 = x + 24 + 43 and x equals approximately pick 20, because if you wanted to trade picks 24 and 43 for pick 12, you would need to add in a pick around the 20 mark for a club to be willing to do the trade (making it pick 12 for picks 20, 24 and 43- which I would consider a very fair deal- this year, getting Laverde at 20 would make it worthwhile on its own, with 24 and 43 just icing).

So effectively, Lee cost us approx pick 20. In a compromised draft (one that was weakened by the omission of O'Meara and Crouch, Viney going in the 20's, rather than top 10 and Dayle Garlett (considered a top 5/10 "talent") not getting selected because of toolishness). So Lee alone effectively cost us a mid 20's pick (if it was an uncompromised draft, like this one was) and he had performed a hell of a lot better in the WAFL and Foxtel Cup (approx 70 goals, at 21yo) than Boekhurst did this year, at an almost identical age and you gave up pick 19 (and the chance for a Laverde or Goddard) for him.

I would much rather have given up the equivalent of a mid 20's pick for a very promising young and very athletic tall, who had just kicked 70 goals at 21yo in the WAFL and Foxtel Cup (including 5 bags of 6 (two of them in finals) and a 7 goal haul), than have just given up the chance at a Laverde (who I rate much higher than 20), or Goddard (who I would much prefer to Jaksch, who I was very meh on), for someone like Boekhurst, who averaged 21 possies and less than half a goal per game at WAFL level this year, also at 21yo.

Good luck to him though and hopefully he doesn't have his first couple of seasons completely ruined by injury, like Lee has, because like Lee, everyone will likely always be talking about what you gave up in order to get him, if he does. It has already well and truly begun.

As for your last dig, no s**t we are a long way back, der, but at least we are going about the rebuild properly. You guys look to be EXACTLY where we were two years ago, when we were likewise hoping to rebuild without bottoming out (by targeting the likes of Lee, Hickey, Saad, Milera and co. who were in that early 20's sort of age bracket), just as you are, by trading down and going after the likes of Boekhorst, Jaksch, Jones, Whiley and co and paying very big bucks for Daisy (while losing the likes of Betts, Garlett, Scotland, Waite and soon Judd). I don't see them and the rest of your list competing with the powerhouses like Hawthorn, Sydney and then the likes of Gold Coast, GWS and Brisbane, any time soon.

You may not be down the bottom like us, but you do just seem to be treading water and that's nothing to get all excited about. I hope for your clubs sake it works out though, because otherwise, if you think we're a long way off serious premiership contention...

Last edited:
WTF? That post makes no sense whatsoever. Just like your club's selection of whatshisname over Laverde and Goddard, when you almost certainly could have gotten him at pick 28.

As for Tom Lee, he individually in the end effectively cost us a pick around the 20 mark in that (compromised) draft, because we gave up pick 12 for all of Lee, pick 24 and pick 43 and if you wanted to work out what Lee cost us on his own, in terms of a draft pick, you would do the equation of 12 = x + 24 + 43 and x equals approximately pick 20, because if you wanted to trade picks 24 and 43 for pick 12, you would need to add in a pick around the 20 mark for a club to be willing to do the trade (making it pick 12 for picks 20, 24 and 43- which I would consider a very fair deal- this year, getting Laverde at 20 would make it worthwhile on its own, with 24 and 43 just icing).

So effectively, Lee cost us approx pick 20. In a compromised draft (one that was weakened by the omission of O'Meara and Crouch, Viney going in the 20's, rather than top 10 and Dayle Garlett (considered a top 5/10 "talent") not getting selected because of toolishness). So Lee alone effectively cost us a mid 20's pick (if it was an uncompromised draft, like this one was) and he had performed a hell of a lot better in the WAFL and Foxtel Cup (approx 70 goals, at 21yo) than Boekhurst did this year, at an almost identical age and you gave up pick 19 (and the chance for a Laverde or Goddard) for him.

I would much rather have given up the equivalent of a mid 20's pick for a very promising young and very athletic tall, who had just kicked 70 goals at 21yo in the WAFL and Foxtel Cup (including 5 bags of 6 (two of them in finals) and a 7 goal haul), than have just given up the chance at a Laverde (who I rate much higher than 20), or Goddard (who I would much prefer to Jaksch, who I was very meh on), for someone like Boekhurst, who averaged 21 possies and less than half a goal per game at WAFL level this year, also at 21yo.

Good luck to him though and hopefully he doesn't have his first couple of seasons completely ruined by injury, like Lee has, because like Lee, everyone will likely always be talking about what you gave up in order to get him, if he does. It has already well and truly begun.

As for your last dig, no s**t we are a long way back, der, but at least we are going about the rebuild properly. You guys look to be EXACTLY where we were two years ago, when we were likewise hoping to rebuild without bottoming out (by targeting the likes of Lee, Hickey, Saad, Milera and co. who were in that early 20's sort of age bracket), just as you are, by trading down and going after the likes of Boekhorst, Jaksch, Jones, Whiley and co and paying very big bucks for Daisy (while losing the likes of Betts, Garlett, Scotland, Waite and soon Judd). I don't see them and the rest of your list competing with the powerhouses like Hawthorn, Sydney and then the likes of Gold Coast, GWS and Brisbane, any time soon.

You may not be down the bottom like us, but you do just seem to be treading water and that's nothing to get all excited about. I hope for your clubs sake it works out though, because otherwise, if you think we're a long way off serious premiership contention...

lol #wrecked.

I'd take saints midfield over the blues in 2 years every day of the week.
Saints have scope for improvement
I just dont see it at the blues

Especially since we're likely to get first or 2nd crack at the "elite mids" at the top end of next year's draft and will have so much cap space to go after the Dangerfield's, Treloar's and Shiel's of the world in the next couple of years it won't be funny. The massive money we would have been offering to get a Jeremy Cameron if we didn't get McCartin (and maybe Goddard) can now be directed at them. How much cap space will Carlton have to outbid teams like us? They are in an extremely precarious position.

Back to back spoons and another few low finishes before they lose Riewoldt who starred for a terrible team. Too dependent on their veterans who drove a culture of tolerating bad eggs because they can play.

Steven, Armitage, Billings (Always confuse him with Aish who was picked in the same draft...LOL), Dunstan, Savage, Acres, Ross, Wright, Saunders, Curren, Newnes, Webster and Templeton isn't a quality list of mids and flankers.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back