Roast The absolute state of Channel 7 broadcasts

Remove this Banner Ad

Good post.

I was at the game, so wasn't until watching the reply that this slapped me in the face. As a fan watching the last 5 minutes you are on edge, you are anxious, you are excited, you are aware of the enormity of what is unfolding and how it will forever be enshrined in footy folk lore.

The commentary captures none of that, you can barely tell its any different from Round 14 game, just 4 blokes inanely rabbiting on about whatever they see. Brayshaw just squawking WOWEE when Sidebottom kicks a goal for the ages that nobody thought had in him. Then the last 90 seconds, Richo and Hodge spending way too long on an umpiring decision instead of building up the tension.

When your side wins a flag being able to relive the broadcast is a special thing, feels like our 2023 premiership got robbed off this with the amateur call that does not treat the game with any of the reverence it deserved.
Absolutely.

That Sidebottom goal should have been a Lenny Hayes or Isaac Smith moment. Carved into football history and ended up winning the game.

Didn't even bother to mention that just about everyone watching thought he was kidding himself thinking he had the distance.

Just treated it like a regulation 40 metre kick with the extra 'WOWEE' for good measure.

The 2 minute ending with trash commentary to then immediately have Abbey Holmes in every players’ face.
Honestly don’t care about the players’ reaction and interview immediately after the game. Just let it roll and show the players celebrating and rejoicing.
It’s just
A) ex AFL players getting jobs and think they know it all
And
B) people that want to be seen and take the limelight- Holmes, Hodge, and worst of all- Dangerfield.. wtf is Dangerfield even doing there

Yeah, have to agree with this. 10mins to go and I felt like it was a round 18 h/a game. It did well to calm me down but did nothing for the atmosphere.

The 2 minute ending with trash commentary to then immediately have Abbey Holmes in every players’ face.
Honestly don’t care about the players’ reaction and interview immediately after the game. Just let it roll and show the players celebrating and rejoicing.
It’s just
A) ex AFL players getting jobs and think they know it all
And
B) people that want to be seen and take the limelight- Holmes, Hodge, and worst of all- Dangerfield.. wtf is Dangerfield even doing there
Agree tbh.

I don't blame Paddy, they've probably offered him a ton of money to do it and then sign-on post career, but that's the whole problem in a nutshell.

It's not commentators by trade anymore who are employed to capture the game. Just ex-players who can barely string a sentence together, and when they do, it's not exactly the wisdom of Socrates is it?

Agree tbh.

I don't blame Paddy, they've probably offered him a ton of money to do it and then sign-on post career, but that's the whole problem in a nutshell.

It's not commentators by trade anymore who are employed to capture the game. Just ex-players who can barely string a sentence together, and when they do, it's not exactly the wisdom of Socrates is it?
It’s trash.
Dangerfield by definition shouldn’t even be close to the commentary. He’s a player and he’s not going to be unbiased.

Podcast and local stations around Australia have huge talent for calling the game, with passion and knowledge. Criminal having these ex AFL idiots know nothing to say or understand.

Hodge is a complete moron.

How he gets a gig every year is mind boggling.

He just says constant, pointless crap things. A switched on 10 year old kid would be better than him.
Hodge can actually be quite insightful at times due to a quasi-esoteric knowledge of parts of the game. The issue is, this will only happen once or twice a quarter, so by virtue of the fact that he is supposed to say something at every stoppage or goal, he spends most of the time waffling on incorrectly about the play.

Yep. Days before the sycophants were calling. The Triple M/3AW Rex type calling is all over TV now.

Shame Bruce and Huddo became caricatures of themselves.

Would like to see someone like Bennett be given a go. Even John Casey would be better than most of the insufferable flogs that call these days.

Why was the crowd so quiet?

I assumed it was like that because the crowd is 80% corporate dickheads and regular fans can't afford to get in and see the game.

The volume of the prelim was astonishing. Yesterday sounded like a regular season Sunday twilight fixture.

But maybe it was just because the prelim was on Kayo and yesterday channel 7 decided we don't want crowd noise, we want ump mics turned up to 11?

Absolutely.

That Sidebottom goal should have been a Lenny Hayes or Isaac Smith moment. Carved into football history and ended up winning the game.

Didn't even bother to mention that just about everyone watching thought he was kidding himself thinking he had the distance.

Just treated it like a regulation 40 metre kick with the extra 'WOWEE' for good measure.
Sidebar...

But was that a really long 50?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks so much for posting this. As you mention, many (myself included) have potted them for a long time, but today it reached another level.

There was this weird feeling, particularly in the second half that I couldn't shake. It just didn't feel like a Grand Final.

Two best sides of the year going at it, great footy for the most part, even contest, virtually goal-for-goal, perfect weather...what more could you want?

Yet they treated it like it was a regulation game at 3:20 on a Sunday arvo.

As the game was drawing closer and closer to it's conclusion with the scores still tight, it really sunk in. They're just not going to up their game today.

Part of it might be the brain just not being wired to hearing BT & JB on the biggest day of the year, but it did feel off. I'd be ropeable if I was a Pies supporter.

FWIW, many Cats fans felt similarly about our triumph last year. A flag which was the crowning glory of a decade of contention, and the best you can come up with is "Cats fans, stand up to your full height" - Really?
I remember last year, I thought so many Cat shots at goal had missed because the commentary was so flat and dull.

It was only after seeing the crowd behind the goals going nuts and players celebrating that I was "oh wait holy hell that's another goal!"

They’ve been potted by many for different things, but I’ve long thought their biggest issue and failing by a long, long way is their inability to bring at least SOME of the atmosphere and edge through the TV.

Honestly, have a look at this

You will never get bigger moments in the sport. This is the last two minutes of a Grand Final and there is a kick in it.

The broadcast is appalling. The callers sound like they’ve popped a couple of sleeping pills at 3QT. There is no noise whatsoever.

It’s gotta start with some actual skilled commentators who will build the moment, and some work on their effects mics and cameras.

It’s time the AFL stepped in, because this is actually harming the game. People are introduced to it through TV. And they’re turning enormous, historic moments into snoozefests.
Was talking about this yesterday. Not a popular view, but I think we really miss Bruce Macavaney’s ability to create a sense of occasion.

Does anyone remember Clinton Grybas on the old Fox Footy? The guy was the best. Didn’t carry on with stories, had high energy when the moment called for it. Strong voice.

What a massive loss his death was. Should have been lead caller on Channel 7 or Fox by now.

CH7 have created their own set of problems by having too many dipsticks in the box at the one time. 3-4 special comments people are going to fight for their airtime so naturally it becomes a snorefest as they dredge up irrelvant waffle to make a contribution.

You only need four people max !!

1. Play-By-Play Caller (professional journo/caller)
2. Play-By-Play Caller (professional journo/caller)
3. Tactics & Indepth Comments (ex player)
4. Boundary Rider (professional journo/caller)

Get rid of the other 3-4 clowns hogging the airwaves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back