Mega Thread The Bucks Megathread.

Remove this Banner Ad

He created scoring opportunities for the small to medium players. Played a selfless team orientated game. Complaining for the sake of complaining I think.

I'm not complaining for the sake of it:

We lose that game and his numbers tell a different tale.

I'm saying He needs to start scoring or taking marks inside 50 soon.

We can't have a key forward being a decoy.
It will eventually come to a head.

I understand the point you are trying to make but I don't think using Darcy Moore is an appropriate comparison. For the first season+ Darcy got games based on potential rather than form. He has played 49 games and in half of those games he has had 7 possessions or less 23 times. Failed to kick a goal on 14 occasions and managed just one goal 18 times.

Did Darcy ever go 3 games in a row without scoring a goal?

Did Darcy ever start a season with only 1 mark inside 50 from his first three games?

It's a knock I have on Cox at the moment because this "strength" that people see will eventually become a weakness if he doesn't start scoring or taking inside 50 marks.

But we didn't lose.

You obviously can have him as a decoy.. It's worked 2 weeks in a row.

They are leaving Collingwood.
I think that would be obvious....
Seriously though we do sometimes overreact....
I only ever forgave Micky McGuane after he belted a fellow Carlton player in their rooms after training.

I don't want anyone at Collingwood that doesn't want to be at Collingwood. Hopefully the door doesn't smack them on the arse on the way out. Micky was a sad case but not too sure the club did the right thing by him.

Did Darcy ever go 3 games in a row without scoring a goal?

Did Darcy ever start a season with only 1 mark inside 50 from his first three games?

It's a knock I have on Cox at the moment because this "strength" that people see will eventually become a weakness if he doesn't start scoring or taking inside 50 marks.

Did we win those games?

Ok mate.. go missing when we lose.. come in when we win.. I don't do that. Nor do I try to insite hate.

Enjoy your weekend.

What’s that saying again? One swallow doesn’t make a summer...

Well with the crouch’s out of the midfield, id have been quite concerned if our full strength midfield couldn’t get the job done. The pleasing thing though was that our mids gave them nothing. Out of 91 stoppages, pies won 57 of them and made them pay on the score board.

The narrow ground at Adelaide certainly contributed to the amount of stoppages and our mids did their job and smashed them to win the clearances around the ground. However, a key area of concern still remains centre clearances, which we’ve lost for the last 3 weeks.

It will be very interesting to see whether we can clog up teams on the MCG like we did the crows on Adelaide Oval for 4 qtrs. We’ve not done that yet in 3 games at the MCG.

The end of the day, if this crows win is not capitalised on and we fail to become a serious premiership threat by years end, then this 48 point win against a somewhat beaten up and slow midfield wont really account for much.

Let’s keep the expectations where they should be, talking about a premiership. You’ve seen what this list can do, even with injuries to forwards. The performance vs crows was what I believed an experienced coach would have been able to achieve with Collingwood on a consistent basis from 2014.

I guess we can now all agree on at least one thing, after this game against the crows, no one can make excuses for Buckley if the potential of this team is not maximised in 2018.

Our mids are star studded. The defence is B+ ish and our fwd line is servicable. The last two premiers have hardly been the best teams of the last decade. And this year is no different. No team appears to be the cats of 07 or 09, pies of 2010 or hawks of 2014 (was that their most dominant year?).

There is no reason, if Buckley is a quality coach (as many of you are now professing) that this side (with an easier draw) can’t make a GF, or snatch a premiership. If this team is coached to its peak it takes out the flag.

there appears to be a game plan. Is it sustainable?

I've posted on this subject on another thread and there is concern about its sustainability, in fact since probably the start of 2015 the vision or plan has been to win it at the coalface and with clean DE then transition outside the contest to a link up to set up attack.(clearances)

What we've done is poor disposal inside and out, we turn it over and have to run both ways all day to double back and try and win at the contest again. That was why we saw a lot of chipping around the back line to keep possy - in fear of turning it over- and hope for a Joe the goose over the back. Nathan did mention that the reason was to draw defenders up (Joe the goose)

Friday night was different, for starters we were very clean in and around the phone box and allowed us clearance to transition the footy without turning it over. On top of it was a stoppage game because of the wet and that allowed to set up (and get a breather!)

The sustainability (or lack of) comes off the back of doubling back as a result of turnover, 2 ways to eliminate or lessen that

• Boost the DE to around the 80% consistently (unlikely)
  • Create stoppage (play the boundary) to allow us to set up.

We got the grunt - always have, just gotta be clean inside to allow reliable transition. Friday like recent seasons was a glimpse and now we just need to pull it off consistently

I thought his game was so overrated. If he can't clunk em and kick sausage rolls.. no point in having him there in my opinion.. there are gonna be times when we need the big fella to snag a few..

Well with the crouch’s out of the midfield, id have been quite concerned if our full strength midfield couldn’t get the job done. The pleasing thing though was that our mids gave them nothing. Out of 91 stoppages, pies won 57 of them and made them pay on the score board.

The narrow ground at Adelaide certainly contributed to the amount of stoppages and our mids did their job and smashed them to win the clearances around the ground. However, a key area of concern still remains centre clearances, which we’ve lost for the last 3 weeks.

It will be very interesting to see whether we can clog up teams on the MCG like we did the crows on Adelaide Oval for 4 qtrs. We’ve not done that yet in 3 games at the MCG.

The end of the day, if this crows win is not capitalised on and we fail to become a serious premiership threat by years end, then this 48 point win against a somewhat beaten up and slow midfield wont really account for much.

Let’s keep the expectations where they should be, talking about a premiership. You’ve seen what this list can do, even with injuries to forwards. The performance vs crows was what I believed an experienced coach would have been able to achieve with Collingwood on a consistent basis from 2014.

I guess we can now all agree on at least one thing, after this game against the crows, no one can make excuses for Buckley if the potential of this team is not maximised in 2018.

Our mids are star studded. The defence is B+ ish and our fwd line is servicable. The last two premiers have hardly been the best teams of the last decade. And this year is no different. No team appears to be the cats of 07 or 09, pies of 2010 or hawks of 2014 (was that their most dominant year?).

There is no reason, if Buckley is a quality coach (as many of you are now professing) that this side (with an easier draw) can’t make a GF, or snatch a premiership. If this team is coached to its peak it takes out the flag.

I hope Buckley doesn't fall into the trap of just playing his best in the midfield.. go for what works in my opinion.. if it's Aish Phillips Pendlebury Treloar in the guts and on the wings.. if that relationship works.. why not leave De Goey up front with Stephenson for eg.. spread the talent across the park.

In the past a mid was a mid for Bucks.. so he he opted for halies like Smith and Ramsay out and out defender's playing on the HBF.. now it's Crisp.

Love that he's spreading the talent and not overloading the midfield with our best.

De Goey to stay up front all yr.. if the midfield is gelling regardless of who's in there.. I'd be happy with that.

Just because Cox's name doesn't appear in the goal kickers doesn't mean he hasn't played a role in our scoring.

Liken it to the Fowler/Heskey relationship at Liverpool. Fowler scoring goals using big Emil Heskey as a decoy and Heskey holding the ball up for him.

The problem with that is if Fowler isn't on his game.. and with Heskey's low rate of scoring.. the game is effectively over.

6 players in attack.. all must hit the scoreboard to be a chance in every game we play. Using forwards as decoys only works in a certain % of games. Heck we lost to Hawthorn using Cox as a decoy.

Can't score as a forward.. shouldn't be playing.

The Firmino Mane Salah combo.. that's unstoppable. Chance in every game.

This team with flag potential that you're referring to, was assembled by Buckley and his staff. If you truly believe that this side is capable of achieving a premiership then Buckley deserves some credit for putting it together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you do if you were already on the bandwagon?

Step 1: Point out to the new arrivals that you were on the bandwagon first. Check!

Step 2: Move over, and pass around some beer and cheer.

Gotta love Big footy...
Round 1. We are woeful bottom 4. No gameplan, list is terrible, we don't have the cattle or coach... Rebuild time.
Round 2. Ditto
Round 3. Well it was only Carlton, we're still a joke!
Round 4. We have turned the corner and are now a chance for top 4 with a team gameplan and list that has "flag potential".

Gotta love Big footy...
Round 1. We are woeful bottom 4. No gameplan, list is terrible, we don't have the cattle or coach... Rebuild time.
Round 2. Ditto
Round 3. Well it was only Carlton, we're still a joke!
Round 4. We have turned the corner and are now a chance for top 4 with a team gameplan and list that has "flag potential".

While I get the gist of your post, not so sure we were woeful R2. Actually think were in it up to our teeth until we lost Moore. Being down Moore and Broomhead before 1/2 time ultimately proved insurmountable.

Also not too sure many actually now think we've got flag potential either although we continue to play like Friday that sentiment may grow through the season.

I've been on Bucks bandwagon since the start. Ive always had faith with a bit of luck with injuries and natural development of the group we could be a finals side. I loved Friday's nights game as much as anyone but we won for 2 reasons.

1 we were clean with the ball and our skills were great. We did everything small thing right like the Hawks do all the time.

2 we did it for 4 quarters. In the past few years we have played just as well if not better then Friday night but we have only done it for a half or 3 quarters.The good sides do it all game.

While I think we are on the right track we need to build on Friday. Im not penciling us in for the finals just yet but if we can have the effort and use of the ball as a base from Friday we are on our way.

Cox has a lot of value as a Fleet in being

This is traditionally a term for navy ships that do nothing but sit in the relative safety of port. They’re a pain in the backside to the enemy because it ties up valuable resources of the enemy to deal the possiblility of the ships coming out of Port. For the WW2 history buffs, the Nazi’s tactical use of the battleship Tirpitz is a pinup example.

In Cox’s case, he’s a 7’ bloke who can mark and who can kick goals. As long as he’s planted within kicking distance of goals, he ties up a fair chunk of the opposition’s defensive resources, which creates openings in other areas of the ground.
Love the Fleet in being analogy but wouldn't Cox only truly fit that definition if he sat on the bench the whole game and the oppo had a similar player sitting on their bench waiting for Cox to come on? ;)

In naval terms, if he is tying up defenders, Coxy could more fit the bill of the HMS Centurion which spent part of WWII deployed in the Med with wooden guns onboard - tricked the Germans, but not the Italians which is pretty weird. That ship did end up scuttled before D-Day so Coxy should probably focus on taking a few grabs as a dummy only lasts so long.

That being said, I don't mind the idea of nicknaming Cox "The Big Tirpitz".

How is it that posters can sit here and crave Tom Lynch coming to the club and want the club to move heaven and earth to get him but when the shoe is on the other foot and Beams leaves due to a falling out (his sick father made the decision easier) and Daisy goes to Carlton, they become mangy dogs?
Because footy is tribal. It's like asking why countries get outraged when their spies become double agents and betray their country yet are happy to have spies turn on their own countries for our benefit. Human nature. Us against them. That is what makes the game the passion that it is.

Let's not overstate Cox's game.
It was serviceable.

Cox was not serviceable, he was fantastic. Just because it wasn’t the usual, you’re downplaying it too much. He directly impacted a good 6-7 goals. Just as good as if he hit the scoreboard himself.

On the game day thread I likened him to a support in an MMO. Never gets the props, never gets the glory, but the team knows how important he was.

Love the Fleet in being analogy but wouldn't Cox only truly fit that definition if he sat on the bench the whole game and the oppo had a similar player sitting on their bench waiting for Cox to come on? ;)

In naval terms, if he is tying up defenders, Coxy could more fit the bill of the HMS Centurion which spent part of WWII deployed in the Med with wooden guns onboard - tricked the Germans, but not the Italians which is pretty weird. That ship did end up scuttled before D-Day so Coxy should probably focus on taking a few grabs as a dummy only lasts so long.

That being said, I don't mind the idea of nicknaming Cox "The Big Tirpitz".

HMS Centurian would be about putting Blair on stilts, have him run up to the opposition’s goalsquare, and then collapse with some sort of serious injury which prevents him from being moved.

I think we'll beat Essendon but I'm pissed off about having such a short break before the Richmond game. I'd be confident that we could beat the Tigers but with such a short break I doubt we can do it. Then of course we'll have to put up with the Richmond supporters (and media) crowing about how great Richmond are and dismissing our short break by saying "no excuse, blah, blah, blah..."

I think we'll beat Essendon but I'm pissed off about having such a short break before the Richmond game. I'd be confident that we could beat the Tigers but with such a short break I doubt we can do it. Then of course we'll have to put up with the Richmond supporters (and media) crowing about how great Richmond are and dismissing our short break by saying "no excuse, blah, blah, blah..."
If we want the Anzac game how else would you structure it? We will have about 18 hours less than the Tiges.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back