The Bulldogs and Umpires: Time for a Royal Commission?

Remove this Banner Ad

What's more likely, they have a game style that attracts more frees while giving away less, or there's a league wide 9 year conspiracy to favour the Bulldogs?

Dunno.

Ask the West Duck Eagles of the 2000/10s. They were the previous umpiring darlings, especially at Subiaco.

Constant backlash led to a change in how they roster umpires, providing real rotation.

So I wouldn't rule anything out.

Dunno.

Ask the West Duck Eagles of the 2000/10s. They were the previous umpiring darlings, especially at Subiaco.

Constant backlash led to a change in how they roster umpires, providing real rotation.

So I wouldn't rule anything out.
You think Bulldogs have such huge crowd support that the umpires are influenced by the noise?

What's the systemic issue in your opinion?
You must lack reading comprehension.

When a team has a positive free kick differential in 9 consecutive years and has topped the differential charts in 5 of the past 7 years....It's not a one-off anomaly. It's a statistical trend and a systematic issue.

If the AFL want to recruit me to look into it, I'll gladly do a root-cause analysis. But alas...

When a team has a positive free kick differential in 9 consecutive years and has topped the differential charts in 5 of the past 7 years....It's not a one-off anomaly. It's a statistical trend and a systematic issue.

If the AFL want to recruit me to look into it, I'll gladly do a root-cause analysis. But alas...
The Umpires caused the Bulldogs to kick 13 in a row tonight :sob:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's more likely, they have a game style that attracts more frees while giving away less, or there's a league wide 9 year conspiracy to favour the Bulldogs?

Summary of the thread:

Dogs positive free kick differential = something smells, can’t be their game style.

Tigers negative free kick differential = na definetly is their game style.

You just lack comprehension in general. Who is talking about a once off anomaly? I said it's most likely game style related, if that's the case obviously it would be a statistical trend. A statistical trend is not a systematic issue, lol. You have to be able to pinpoint what the issue is, what is it in your opinion?

Nobody would recruit you for anything data related based on your posts in this thread.

For those that just looked at the stats instead of watching, the game started 5-0 and not one of them was all that advantageous to us. We were either marking/getting the ball anyway or it was to slow the play down.

For those that just looked at the stats instead of watching, the game started 5-0 and not one of them was all that advantageous to us. We were either marking/getting the ball anyway or it was to slow the play down.
It's a bit unusual that a team can be in front by 3 goals after 15 minutes, and not have received a single Free Kick though.

Gillon was sitting on the umpires bench.. look out!!! 🤪🤪🤪

Ok I'll give you guys the Dunkley free, which counters the free Moore got in the 1st for another obvious duck of the head
One was already picking up the ball and on the ground, one picked it up, looked up and looked back down to get under the tackle. Not a duck because he didn't want to get the free, but the umps paid it for some god knows reason. There were so many, Hawthorn were terrible for 2 quarters but holy the umpires were worse.

You just lack comprehension in general. Who is talking about a once off anomaly? I said it's most likely game style related, if that's the case obviously it would be a statistical trend. A statistical trend is not a systematic issue, lol. You have to be able to pinpoint what the issue is, what is it in your opinion?

Nobody would recruit you for anything data related based on your posts in this thread.

Mate I do work in data analysis and one important aspect is not to jump to conclusions like 'it's most likely game style related'. The data can't tell you that.

A statistical trend over 9 years is definitely a systemic issue.

What systemic issue? Who knows. Maybe all the umpires are WB supporters, maybe WB players know the rules better than everybody else, maybe its due to where they play, who they play, how they play.
I can't answer that.

Summary of the thread:

Dogs positive free kick differential = something smells, can’t be their game style.

Tigers negative free kick differential = na definetly is their game style.
What is a game style that means more frees? You mean staging? Do they go in harder and lower then other teams? No.

What is the specific game style that means that they get more free kick and give less away than other teams? And don't say something stupid like 'we go in harder than other teams' as that's just incorrect. Dogs are a 6-10 team.

The umpires let em get away with more than other teams can.

Tackled and the ball spills out? team: hawks free kick against vs dogs: play on
If you duck into a tackle with a dogs guersey: free kick, everyone else play on.
Libbas clear throw half way through the 2nd Q in the middle. puke at the commentators saying he is magical it was a clear as day throw.
Elbow to the face with the ump 2 meters away is allowed if you are a dog
1656083446702.png
You tell me which of these arm holds in a rucking contest is a free kick
1656081772874.png
1656081872348.png
1656081955330.png
1656082010399.png
1656082125763.png
1656082356002.png
1656082392240.png
1656082513203.png
1656082636294.png
1656082871840.png
1656082986713.png
1656083053550.png
1656083103049.png
this is the only one that was paid right in front of goal
Umpire explaining what he did wrong that hadnt been done in any of the other instances that game
1656083193686.png

Attachments

• 1656082623095.png
    1656082623095.png
    564.7 KB · Views: 32
What is a game style that means more frees? You mean staging? Do they go in harder and lower then other teams? No.

What is the specific game style that means that they get more free kick and give less away than other teams? And don't say something stupid like 'we go in harder than other teams' as that's just incorrect. Dogs are a 6-10 team.

Not having the same argument with you every month. We get it, you think there’s corruption in the league.

a game style of staging, ducking and appealing for free kicks is pretty embarrassing tbh, would almost rather some wild afl conspiracy than admit that if I was a doggies fan

In saying that, hawfs deserved to lose last night. What was it, 9 in a row or something? Lol

Mate I do work in data analysis and one important aspect is not to jump to conclusions like 'it's most likely game style related'. The data can't tell you that.

A statistical trend over 9 years is definitely a systemic issue.

What systemic issue? Who knows. Maybe all the umpires are WB supporters, maybe WB players know the rules better than everybody else, maybe its due to where they play, who they play, how they play.
I can't answer that.
You're confused, it's only a systemic issue if you believe free kicks should even out. Only one of the things you mentioned would be considered a systemic issue. A statistical trend does not equal a systemic issue in this case.

Most organisations and their data people suck at actual data science.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back