Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it’s a measure. You’re just trying to explain it away with an opinion. As most have been doing to the data I post. Yes it’s an opinion based forum but I try to back mine up with data regularly. I can say Scully is a stronger endurance player than Ed at this stage. Everything else is guessing.

I understand Ed tags but it might have an impact on Ed not being able to reach 17 km+ a game. But it also might not. Opinion.

Don't take this personally, cause I'm trying to address the methodology itself.

You've taken an opinion (Scully is a stronger endurance player than Ed), and tried to find a stat to back it up (Scully runs further in games). That's fine, no worries, backing up opinions with hard evidence is a good thing. But the stat you've chosen doesn't stack up as far as proving your point - because it, in isolation, doesn't factor in their playing roles.

Using statistical evidence to support your view isn't a bad thing - but if you're taking that approach you need to understand that people will question it when the "evidence" isn't in any way conclusive.

Don't take this personally, cause I'm trying to address the methodology itself.

You've taken an opinion (Scully is a stronger endurance player than Ed), and tried to find a stat to back it up (Scully runs further in games). That's fine, no worries, backing up opinions with hard evidence is a good thing. But the stat you've chosen doesn't stack up as far as proving your point - because it, in isolation, doesn't factor in their playing roles.

Using statistical evidence to support your view isn't a bad thing - but if you're taking that approach you need to understand that people will question it when the "evidence" isn't in any way conclusive.
Well what it does conclude is Ed in 2018 never ran further than 16km in a game and averages around the 14.5-15 km per game. Whereas Scully in his last full season (2017) averages a touch above 17 km. You however don't have any evidence to suggest that Ed could run 17 km in a game. Until he does its opinion. His role very well may have an impact.

Well what it does conclude is Ed in 2018 never ran further than 16km in a game and averages around the 14.5-15 km per game. Whereas Scully in his last full season (2017) averages a touch above 17 km. You however don't have any evidence to suggest that Ed could run 17 km in a game. Until he does its opinion. His role very well may have an impact.

There we go :)

Correct.

Opinion.

You're also assuming that I think Ed could cover 17km in a game without any evidence to back that up. I'm not making that claim. I believe he could, because he covers pretty close to that in a more physically taxing role, but I'm not drawing on maybe-related stats to prove my point. I doubt he could cover that territory and have the same impact on a game that Scully has though - however that's more to do with skill sets than endurance.

You're trusting a basic stat and drawing conclusions from it without properly taking into account confounding factors such as player roles and body composition.

Saying that Scully covers more ground than Ed in a typical AFL game is correct. That leads to the hypothesis that we expect Scully to be a superior endurance athlete.

Which is an opinion that is up for debate.

I for one would like to see Scully and Curnow tested simultaneously under the same conditions/environment. Would be interesting and I'd expect Scully to finish ahead for a variety of reasons.

I might be getting carried away but do we even need a gun mid?

Sure it will help us in 2020, but what about 2021 and beyond.

A top line mid will cost us over 1 mil a year and who will be available that's going to be better than Cripps, Fisher, Setterfield, Walsh, Kennedy, SPS, Dow, O'Brien in 2021. I dunno how much another one would improve us, not to mention Cuningham (who I haven't given up on) and Stocker.

For a million dollars I dunno who much better another mid would make us once ours develop.

I reckon we need to focus on rebounding defenders with questions over Doc, Williamson plus simmo won't be there in 2021.

Plus gun small forwards

Luckily for us small forwards and back flankers cost less than mids and key position players.
Hope by the end of this year what you say will be obvious to all and sundry

Out and about earlier today, and the van with the 'Soapy' licence plate was right in front of me!!!!
It was turning onto the Mornington Peninsula Freeway off Nepean Hwy at Dromana....unfortunately wasn't quick enough to get a snap, cos I was heading straight ahead.
Maybe we should start a new 'Spot the Soapy' van thread!!! Or maybe not....

Any one else think that big footy and the main board are obsessed with us. 7 threads about Carlton on the first page all with the same trolls talking about us. They must be getting scared. I for one will be maintaining regular appearances on all these pages once we rise back up. It’s important to ensure their obsession remains intact. We wouldn’t them going into withdrawals.

Be nice to see a page called “all things Adelaide...” and “all things western bulldogs...” etc. I’m sure they’ll get heaps of posters maintaining discussion. It must be something about Carlton that everyone in other clubs admires. We are turning out to be that release for everyone to whinge about. Even the page that attempts to discuss Brisbane and Carlton is only about Carlton. And the page that starts comparing Carlton to GC all about Carlton. What about the page that tries to compare Carlton v Geelong. * me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any one else think that big footy and the main board are obsessed with us. 7 threads about Carlton on the first page all with the same trolls talking about us. They must be getting scared. I for one will be maintaining regular appearances on all these pages once we rise back up. It’s important to ensure their obsession remains intact. We wouldn’t them going into withdrawals.

Be nice to see a page called “all things Adelaide...” and “all things western bulldogs...” etc. I’m sure they’ll get heaps of posters maintaining discussion. It must be something about Carlton that everyone in other clubs admires. We are turning out to be that release for everyone to whinge about. Even the page that attempts to discuss Brisbane and Carlton is only about Carlton. And the page that starts comparing Carlton to GC all about Carlton. What about the page that tries to compare Carlton v Geelong. **** me.
Obsessed or fear?

Wasnt sure where to put this so I guess it goes here. Here are the games Ive earmarked as winnable for us in 2019.

Round 1 v Richmond
Round 2 v Port
Round 4 v GCS
Round 5 v WB
Round 6 v Hawthorn
Round 10 v Saints
Round 12 v Lions
Round 13 v WB
Round 14 v Bye
Round 18 v GCS
Round 19 v Crows
Round 22 v Saints
Round 23 v Cats

Not saying we could win them all, but these are the ones I think we're a reasonable chance (I know its February). Any that you dont agree with or maybe Ive missed a couple?

Wasnt sure where to put this so I guess it goes here. Here are the games Ive earmarked as winnable for us in 2019.

Round 1 v Richmond
Round 2 v Port
Round 4 v GCS
Round 5 v WB
Round 6 v Hawthorn
Round 10 v Saints
Round 12 v Lions
Round 13 v WB
Round 14 v Bye
Round 18 v GCS
Round 19 v Crows
Round 22 v Saints
Round 23 v Cats

Not saying we could win them all, but these are the ones I think we're a reasonable chance (I know its February). Any that you dont agree with or maybe Ive missed a couple?
You left out the Elimination final and Preliminary Final.

Also, anything can happen when you get to the big dance, don’t discount out GF chances yet.

You left out the Elimination final and Preliminary Final.

Also, anything can happen when you get to the big dance, don’t discount out GF chances yet.
jabba channeling soap........

Round 1 v Richmond
Round 2 v Port
Round 4 v GCS
Round 5 v WB
Round 6 v Hawthorn
Round 10 v Saints
Round 12 v Lions
Round 13 v WB
Round 14 v Bye
Round 18 v GCS
Round 19 v Crows
Round 22 v Saints
Round 23 v Cats

You can probably include the games v Essendon and Collingwood as well as west coast at Etihad. All winnable.

Round 1 v Richmond
Round 2 v Port
Round 4 v GCS
Round 5 v WB
Round 6 v Hawthorn
Round 10 v Saints
Round 12 v Lions
Round 13 v WB
Round 14 v Bye
Round 18 v GCS
Round 19 v Crows
Round 22 v Saints
Round 23 v Cats

So that puts us in the 8!!
Yep I'll go along with that.

As always our unbridled enthusiasm for the improvement in our own players must be tempered with the fact that all other clubs bar a few are all improving as well. I firmly believe that we have more improvement in our players/list this year than any other club, BUT the other clubs are moving targets and we are yet to discover what the benchmark will be in 2019 especially with the rule changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back