Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

As always our unbridled enthusiasm for the improvement in our own players must be tempered with the fact that all other clubs bar a few are all improving as well. I firmly believe that we have more improvement in our players/list this year than any other club, BUT the other clubs are moving targets and we are yet to discover what the benchmark will be in 2019 especially with the rule changes

No other club has the group of talent we do. Our upside is massive and if SOS keeps adding talent like the last 3 years no one will catch us

So many things need to go right for a club to progress up the ladder. There's so many variables at play. Injuries, coaching, leadership, the draw, etc.

Pelchen is in a way predicting ladder positions now and into the future based off only the list. He doesn't factor in coaching. That in itself makes his predictions worthless.

Let's say there's 40 variables that can impact each teams progress (injuries alone could be as much as 44 variables), and multiply that by 18 clubs and then multiply that by 4 years (prediction window),. What you're left with is a minefield of possible outcomes.

Impossible to predict.

Who'd have thought Tigers would be premiers?

Ditto WC.

We had the wood on both these teams not long ago.

Coll were seen to have an unskilled list. How did they get to the GF?

For all we know Norf will win the flag this year.

Here's some advice. Ignore Pelchens one dimensional, tabloid geared pulp.

As always our unbridled enthusiasm for the improvement in our own players must be tempered with the fact that all other clubs bar a few are all improving as well. I firmly believe that we have more improvement in our players/list this year than any other club, BUT the other clubs are moving targets and we are yet to discover what the benchmark will be in 2019 especially with the rule changes

Our rise up the ladder won't come about for players alone.

There are many other reasons that contribute to success and at a distance we are ticking quite a few of those boxes right now.
Yes, we do have list gaps now matter how wants to sell that we haven't, but given recent trade/draft showings (other than a couple of notable absentees) the pieces are being put into place and it's hard because it's clear we aren't particularly subscribing to attaining a player just for the players skill-sets. It's culture we're trying to develop as much as the players. That's not easy.

One thing that's pretty clear to me is that the club is reaching for sustained success on the ground and off it. Again, it's not easy....but if we get it right.

Our rise up the ladder won't come about for players alone.

There are many other reasons that contribute to success and at a distance we are ticking quite a few of those boxes right now.
Yes, we do have list gaps now matter how wants to sell that we haven't, but given recent trade/draft showings (other than a couple of notable absentees) the pieces are being put into place and it's hard because it's clear we aren't particularly subscribing to attaining a player just for the players skill-sets. It's culture we're trying to develop as much as the players. That's not easy.

One thing that's pretty clear to me is that the club is reaching for sustained success on the ground and off it. Again, it's not easy....but if we get it right.

Yep. List is one area and I think ours is as talented as any I have seen

What isn’t being assessed is club culture, people in charge, harmony amongst the playing group and desire to be a force again. Can’t be quantified but IMO it is excellent and a key reason for optimism

Last edited:

What isn’t being assessed is club culture, people in charge, harmony amongst the playing group and desire to be a force again. Can’t be quantified but IMO it is excellent and a key reason for optimism
Yep. . For some reason this coming season has a different feel about it imo
And it's all good..

Don't need the best coach, players or gameplan......

Just need total buy in....

True, but may I suggest to a point.

Are there Premiership teams of the last three years, one feels to be built on a platform for sustained success? I don't. Just havent that Hawthorn, Geelong nor Sydney feel about them.... To me.

Really hard getting all of ones ducks in a row, but just seems to me that's what we're trying to build.... Trying.

True, but may I suggest to a point.

Are there Premiership teams of the last three years, one feels to be built on a platform for sustained success? I don't. Just havent that Hawthorn, Geelong nor Sydney feel about them.... To me.

Really hard getting all of ones ducks in a row, but just seems to me that's what we're trying to build.... Trying.

In mid 2015, on an ABC show called the Offsiders, the guest was Clarkson.
He was asked what he thought the secret to sustained success was....nobody more qualified to answer yeah?

He said it centred on what he called the 6 Pillars that made up his football club....
1. President of a United Board
2. Club CEO
3. Football Manager
4. Recruiting Manager
5. Coach
6. Captain.

They met every week and walked out knowing exactly what each had to do.
Bolton was part of his team when Clarkson said this....

I have been watching patiently see Carlton tick every box mentioned above since the end of 2015....
Culminated late last year with the appointment of Lloyd, Cripps and Docherty.

Nothing's certain but a foundation for what we all want has been set through very committed hard work over 3 difficult years.....

I cannot wait to see the presence of belief and confidence in our players out on the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He said it centred on what he called the 6 Pillars that made up his football club....
2. Club CEO
3. Football Manager
4. Recruiting Manager
5. Coach
6. Captain.

Tick
Tick
Tick
Tick
Tick
Tick

And if add fitness staff. Tick

The culture, quality of players and talent.

5 days until our 1st practice match.
12 days until our 1st JLT match.
33 days until our 1st Home & Away match.

Not that I'm counting or anything.
I am

days
hours
minutes
secs

In mid 2015, on an ABC show called the Offsiders, the guest was Clarkson.
He was asked what he thought the secret to sustained success was....nobody more qualified to answer yeah?

2. Club CEO
3. Football Manager
4. Recruiting Manager
5. Coach
6. Captain.

They met every week and walked out knowing exactly what each had to do.
Bolton was part of his team when Clarkson said this....

I have been watching patiently see Carlton tick every box mentioned above since the end of 2015....
Culminated late last year with the appointment of Lloyd, Cripps and Docherty.

Nothing's certain but a foundation for what we all want has been set through very committed hard work over 3 difficult years.....

I cannot wait to see the presence of belief and confidence in our players out on the field.

Good post B if i Know and chances are many insiders would see it similarly.

We hear that the List Manager is the most important person at the club, some say the coach, some the CEO.
You don't get any of these appointments right and issues may well start surfacing and the bolded part (I'll bring it here) "They met every week and walked out knowing exactly what each had to do" is by far the most important thing. Egos can't come along for the ride. Only genuine will and effort can.

A team may well come out of the blue every odd year and do something most would have considered very difficult, in winning Premierships but what after that if you haven't the club singing together like a choir? It just can't last.

Make no mistake, most of our issues have stemmed from having a poor board. Don't blame Malthouse, nor Ratten, nor Hughes, nor Rogers, nor Swann, nor Trigg....nor even the boot-studdder. If we have somehow magically transformed that unit into one you've addressed that Hawthorn had, then good times....and good times for a long time.... will come. It cannot be for luck. It really never is.

And getting in the habit of winning which is hard in itself.

Good post B if i Know and chances are many insiders would see it similarly.

We hear that the List Manager is the most important person at the club, some say the coach, some the CEO.
You don't get any of these appointments right and issues may well start surfacing and the bolded part (I'll bring it here) "They met every week and walked out knowing exactly what each had to do" is by far the most important thing. Egos can't come along for the ride. Only genuine will and effort can.

A team may well come out of the blue every odd year and do something most would have considered very difficult, in winning Premierships but what after that if you haven't the club singing together like a choir? It just can't last.

Make no mistake, most of our issues have stemmed from having a poor board. Don't blame Malthouse, nor Ratten, nor Hughes, nor Rogers, nor Swann, nor Trigg....nor even the boot-studdder. If we have somehow magically transformed that unit into one you've addressed that Hawthorn had, then good times....and good times for a long time.... will come. It cannot be for luck. It really never is.

Thanks Harks, "playing your role" just as important off field as it is on.
Not sure I totally agree with absolving all of the people you mention with any responsibility for the situation we found ourselves in 4 yrs ago....Not an issue.
Time will tell if all of this hard work translates to on field success, but I am extremely confident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back