Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
so along with all your other blaming, I'm blamed for post-splitters?........at least you're consistent.........you were musing if player a wasn't deemed suitable to play role b - why was he on the list - as though we put our list together to suit all situations - nice in narnia but unfortunately not that easy years out from when player a is to be used..........

Im not to sure what you mean when you talk about being blamed for, post-splitters.

As you you haven't given an example of what player i was talking about or the context, i can't try and clarify or clear up what i meant. I recall making a comment regarding Kennedy days ago, but your comments were made today or yesterday so i don't think it was that.

When you talk about blame, your making it sound like a kid getting in trouble and trying to get out of trouble from his mum. After every loss, we direct the game, the club, the direction, the media and comment accordingly. When we lose there are always things we could have done better, whether it is how we play, who we pick and where players play.

Wanting our coaches and players to improve on perceived mistakes and calling them out when i see them, i don't think its the same as blaming, in the way you put it.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
What choice was there?
I havent ever seen us use it as an excuse. But it is an explanation for the difficulties of being in such a situation. Most football people in the media are heard to say we are doing the right things the right way and they understand the time frame involved.

Whilst we didn't have players of Simpsons experience available in the 2s to call on, i thought we could have made a few changes that would have made us more competitive and slightly more experienced. Its not to say we would have won, or we might have done just as bad, but looking back, i thought we could have done better.

A few times this year, North game and GC i have been unhappy with team selection, thinking the side was unbalanced, one way or another. This happened a lot last year. The match committee obviously have their reasons but i (just a fan) don't agree with some of them.

The choices we could have made were, Setterfield and Kennedy for Stocker for starters, or either of them for LOB. Not a lot more experience games wise but age and years in the system. In terms of structure, i hate seeing Cas, Curnow, Harry plus a ruck in the same side. Our forward line was a shambles against North and GC.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Two good posts there dangerousdane . Not bad for an Arsenal supporter.
I can hear the cry of Assanall Assanall AssyAssyAssyAssyAssanall

Following the Blues and the Gunners, it was a tough week. 1 point from 4 games, im a lot more disconnected from that sport though since i moved back home and Fox lost the rights.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Following the Blues and the Gunners, it was a tough week. 1 point from 4 games, im a lot more disconnected from that sport though since i moved back home and Fox lost the rights.
Arsenal was my second team once, as an Evertonian. In the Charlie George days. And yes its tough not having the games on Fox. Only reason I got it in the first place.

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Arsenal was my second team once, as an Evertonian. In the Charlie George days. And yes its tough not having the games on Fox. Only reason I got it in the first place.
I don't know if I'm technically allowed to post this link, but it's a link to a discord server that provides access to watch all live games of football, usually in good quality. I watch Palace most weekends in 720p or proper HD using links they provide.

You may have to figure out how to use discord first though :).

https://discord.gg/hxqnAH

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
I don't know if I'm technically allowed to post this link, but it's a link to a discord server that provides access to watch all live games of football, usually in good quality. I watch Palace most weekends in 720p or proper HD using links they provide.

Cheers Skyhorse. One game to go ...Next season for the Toffees might finally be worthwhile. I have a soft spot for Palace also.

figure out how to use discord? stick around here, champ........

People are a bit salty atm - it is what happens when circumstance deals out some disappointment. I hope the players aren't of the same mindset.
Seen plenty of mongrel in here since Sunday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Michael Jezz

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2007
collingwood
AFL Club
Carlton
We are 1-6. 2 win season last year. 4 wins from our last 39. We look shot when a team gets the jump on us, we look shot when we build up a lead. What do you expect them to be positive about?

Bolton is right now in a very comparable position to what MM was in during his final year - by comparison Bolton is getting a very cushy ride.

It also highlights the extent to which carlton vilified MM, so let's not do the same with Bolton. We need to stay the course for 2 more years

Mongrel. Talent. Attitude.......

Everyone knows that Carlton has talent and plenty of it.
Mongrel? With ball in hand, the right attitude coming into a game and the right spirit within that game, mongrel doesn't become such a decisive factor.

We all know that all the bodies aren't mature yet, but neither are any other teams, unless of course, they know how to build them up better than we do.
Example: Why can a team like Hawthorn have a 20 year old pick in the 40's (Worpel) being one of their best most weeks, yet we can't make a 22 year old pick in the teens (Kennedy) a regular?

There are still many missing pieces in having this squad gel together and it's hard to pinpoint exactly why that may be the case.
We can put forward many notions of why this may be the case, but it's hard to attribute all the reasons and the gravity of those reasons, why things aren't tracking the way the CFC would have aspired to, to date this year. Giving away games one should win isn't a good thing either.

We have squad gaps - No argument.
We have to get more games into players - No argument.

There still seems something to be missing to me and I can't pinpoint it.
Can easily suggest it's the coaching, but I can't qualify that. Having players come into games with a bad attitude does reflect poorly on the coach though.

Our talent alone will have us rise the ladder, but will it take us to where we really want to go under the current regime?

BeijingBlue

All Australian
Jun 12, 2013
Gippsland
AFL Club
Carlton
Mongrel. Talent. Attitude.......

Everyone knows that Carlton has talent and plenty of it.
Mongrel? With ball in hand, the right attitude coming into a game and the right spirit within that game, mongrel doesn't become such a decisive factor.

We all know that all the bodies aren't mature yet, but neither are any other teams, unless of course, they know how to build them up better than we do.
Example: Why can a team like Hawthorn have a 20 year old pick in the 40's (Worpel) being one of their best most weeks, yet we can't make a 22 year old pick in the teens (Kennedy) a regular?

There are still many missing pieces in having this squad gel together and it's hard to pinpoint exactly why that may be the case.
We can put forward many notions of why this may be the case, but it's hard to attribute all the reasons and the gravity of those reasons, why things aren't tracking the way the CFC would have aspired to, to date this year. Giving away games one should win isn't a good thing either.

We have squad gaps - No argument.
We have to get more games into players - No argument.

There still seems something to be missing to me and I can't pinpoint it.
Can easily suggest it's the coaching, but I can't qualify that. Having players come into games with a bad attitude does reflect poorly on the coach though.

Our talent alone will have us rise the ladder, but will it take us to where we really want to go under the current regime?

Well said. Attitude is up to the individual but there needs to be an environment where expectations are high. What transpired last Sunday is a poor reflection on that environment.

Well said. Attitude is up to the individual but there needs to be an environment where expectations are high. What transpired last Sunday is a poor reflection on that environment.

Absolutely. I wonder what Bolton thought about ECurnows remarks on SEN earlier in the week.

If players/employees can't bring their best to the task, that reflects poorly on coaches/employers.
If I was Bolton, I wouldn't be happy but may realise that there may be a point there that may require some hard self-analysis.

I got so sick of a bloke whose reserved seat at PP was right next to mine - he kept asking me for player identification (both sides) because I always had my record - I eventually gave up and started buying two!

yep - Mongrel is a word that some people don't relate to - pick another word or phrase or whatever- doesn't matter - players either have an appetite for a contest of they don't. Teams either have appetite for contest or they don't.

This appetite for contest shows itself both with ball in hand -and when chasing - it is a measure that goes up and down but can't really be captured by stats it is both seen at the individual level ( or not seen) and at the team aggregate level. What is important is that a base level of sustainable appetite for contest is the cornerstone of the team's DNA.

We have a lot of players whose appetite for contest AND effectiveness in applying themselves is as a baseline way too low to contribute to a winning AFL team.

I think this is the key measure which Bolton doesn't seem to take as seriously as some other coaches do OR if he does, he continues to play players who pay lip service to it.

Broadside

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
I got so sick of a bloke whose reserved seat at PP was right next to mine - he kept asking me for player identification (both sides) because I always had my record - I eventually gave up and started buying two!
to be fair it would have been more difficult identifying teams and players in the days before colour.

to be fair it would have been more difficult identifying teams and players in the days before colour.
The AFL Record had a slightly different format in Thy's day.

Capture.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back