Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying fire everyone, just 1.
An inexperienced CEO who is running on ego. It's the egos and factions and politics that have stopped our Club having success this century. We need to put a stop to it, and it won't happen when Liddle is there.
So, let me get this straight.

We're a club famous for having interference from the factions that dwell behind the scenes and on the board, the Mathisons, the Pratts, so on and so forth. Liddle has hastened the departure of a club legend, who is famously good friends with the president and with the Mathisons, and your takeaway from this is that Liddle is the problem?

If our club were a basket case - for a traditional Carlton reason - SOS's dismissal would cause a flow-on effect which would unseat MLG, leading a new faction to come to power. They would install their own list manager - probably offering it to SOS, with an apology and a loooot more money - and fire Liddle, paying out his contract and damn the money it'd take. This is not a professional way to behave, it's not even close.

And do not shy away from the fact that you've supported posts calling for MLG's head as well as Liddle's, even if you haven't said so yourself. Don't do that; have the courage to stand by your convictions.

Liddle could be the wrong appointment, and he could indeed be on an ego trip, but this decision and this decision alone is not informative of this; I mean, what's in it for him? Improved power within the club, but at the risk of severely weakening his position, risking the media pressure on the club forcing politics to get in the way of business, and placing a target from the fans squarely on his back.

Here's the thing, Stamos. You've been told this for a few days now, in a number of different forms by a number of different posters. But this is getting tiresome, and I'm rapidly starting to lose my good manners. I've been pretty polite so far, but this is going to get a lot worse if things continue.

You've made your points, over and over. Enough's enough now.

Liddle could be the wrong appointment, and he could indeed be on an ego trip, but this decision and this decision alone is not informative of this; I mean, what's in it for him? Improved power within the club, but at the risk of severely weakening his position, risking the media pressure on the club forcing politics to get in the way of business, and placing a target from the fans squarely on his back.

How has it weakened his position?
He's just gotten rid of SOS, there's nobody within the Club to challenge him, and the board took his side.

Hang on a sec, we fired Bolton partly because of media pressure about the win/loss record, despite publicly stating that was not the measure we were asking him to focus on.
Which was stupid.

We sacked SOS partly over media pressure about conflicts of interest, despite him already having an exit strategy and being very effective at his job.
Here's the thing: I rather think SOS has chosen the means of his own departure. This has all the signs of someone refusing to be stage managed, refusing to go quietly. And we've fairly well established that the 'conflict of interest' is a smokescreen behind which the club can shield their internal workings from the public and the media.

And it's a bit of a long bow to say that we sacked SOS due to media pressure. Rumours of friction within List Management have been about as early as July last year.
We are a basket case if succumbing to media pressure is the measure.

The scrutiny will now be on the CEO and President, history suggests that the media will also play a part in their removal in the near future. Tipping they won’t both be in their current roles by this time next year.
Jesus.

If we continue to behave as though it's a fire sale and everything must go, we are indeed a basket case, because we cannot trust a single appointment made during the MLG tenure if we're going to sack everyone in sundry. If the chalice is poisoned, both the wine and the goblet must go; that at least seems to be the attitude here.

Honestly. You do not turf the executive branch of a business without a pretty decent reason, and why people are tying MLG up in this is absurd; or at least it would be if this wasn't Carlton.

We like blame here.

How has it weakened his position?
He's just gotten rid of SOS, there's nobody within the Club to challenge him, and the board took his side.
You're kidding, right?

No-one left to challenge the sitting CEO after having generated a vast amount of ill will amidst the fan base and caused a media shitstorm to converge at Carlton?

No, firing everyone in given range and sight and succumbing to media pressure is the sign of a basket case. I can't stop you posting and/or having a good hard whinge, but that doesn't stop it from being one.
your fired Arnie.gif

You're kidding, right?

No-one left to challenge the sitting CEO after having generated a vast amount of ill will amidst the fan base and caused a media shitstorm to converge at Carlton?

Who? Lloyd? Agresta?
Teague has only just been appointed, I'm not sure he's going to be prepared to take him on.

The reason that people are critical of MLG is, because he (and the board) couldn't resolve this
And the perception is what, that they didn't try?

Did you not read what I said to Jabba? This has all the earmarks of someone refusing to be stage managed. Trigg and Bolton were both willing to 'play' as it were, and to allow the club's narrative to determine the media narrative; why is it that people think that this departure is vastly different to that one, that we're leaking like a ******* sieve all of a sudden (again), that we're hearing about how 'CEO's lost the plot' a month out from the trading period, that all was well and good then but it isn't now?

What is happening here is due to SOS not caring to go quietly. It's not his character, and it's not his prerogative. He wasn't happy, and he made it known. MLG cannot do anything to stop someone who refuses to play ball.

Who? Lloyd? Agresta?
Teague has only just been appointed, I'm not sure he's going to be prepared to take him on.
You're talking internally. I'm not.

There are plenty of Carlton forces external to the actual structure of the club that have power within it. You're not stupid, Stamos. Why do you think Walls was placed in Bolton's coaching box?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the perception is what, that they didn't try?

Did you not read what I said to Jabba? This has all the earmarks of someone refusing to be stage managed. Trigg and Bolton were both willing to 'play' as it were, and to allow the club's narrative to determine the media narrative; why is it that people think that this departure is vastly different to that one, that we're leaking like a ******* sieve all of a sudden (again), that we're hearing about how 'CEO's lost the plot' a month out from the trading period, that all was well and good then but it isn't now?

What is happening here is due to SOS not caring to go quietly. It's not his character, and it's not his prerogative. He wasn't happy, and he made it known. MLG cannot do anything to stop someone who refuses to play ball.

1. Trying isn't good enough
2. Resolving it isn't sacking SOS, it's making the Club a workable environment, so that they don't have to sack one of the best list managers in the game, without a replacement.

2. Resolving it isn't sacking SOS, it's making the Club a workable environment, so that they don't have to sack one of the best list managers in the game, without a replacement.

I am reasonably high up in my Organisation … If I butted heads with the CEO … do you know where my career would be?? Think about it for a minute. This happens EVERYDAY in corporate Australia …...

You're talking internally. I'm not.

There are plenty of Carlton forces external to the actual structure of the club that have power within it. You're not stupid, Stamos. Why do you think Walls was placed in Bolton's coaching box?

Yeah, internally, nobody to challenge him. That's why he got rid of SOS.

But externally, the board just backed Liddle over SOS, so it's not like he's getting much push-back there.

Yeah, internally, nobody to challenge him. That's why he got rid of SOS.

But externally, the board just backed Liddle over SOS, so it's not like he's getting much push-back there.
Alright.

I've exhausted the possibilities of my patience. Let me know when you need someone to put all the toys within the cot, so you can renew throwing them back out again.

Bolts is, and always has been, absolute class.

And he raises a very good point re: the long game, one which I have posted about previously.

I still maintain we played the long-game, to his detriment, and that is what ultimately brought about his demise.

I have absolutely no doubt we could have recruited more experience, we could have played more mature players, and by extension we could have done better, but we didn't necessarily want to.

Sure things derailed and didn't pan out exactly as we all would have loved, but it is absolutely clear, to me at least, that Bolton sacrificed himself for the Carlton Football Club.

If we reach the pinnacle we strive for, his selfless contribution should not be forgotten.

Yes he is a class act, didn’t realise his father passed away, tough time for him

Yeah, I still love the guy, can only wish him all the best and happiness in future, even at (yuck) Hawthorn.

In an ideal world, I would have given him another year, but it wasn't to be.

Should still be warmly welcomed back at Ikon Park in any case, @Jeremiah put it succinctly and beautifully about Bolt's contribution to the footy club, he left in a far healthier shape than he who must nkt be named aka MM.

I hope i can have the opportunity to meet him one day and thank him personally for all his hard work and hours of his life he put into our club.

Brendon Bolton is one of the good guys.

I am reasonably high up in my Organisation … If I butted heads with the CEO … do you know where my career would be?? Think about it for a minute. This happens EVERYDAY in corporate Australia …...
tinny puts the hammer down, goes inside, logs on - AND PUTS THE HAMMER DOWN!!!!!

tinny puts the hammer down, goes inside, logs on - AND PUTS THE HAMMER DOWN!!!!!
Here’s me thinking ‘tin’ for brains & he’s some high falooting someone

Here’s me thinking ‘tin’ for brains & he’s some high falooting someone

******* hell Chiller Chickie that what a bit harsh ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back