The Chicken Little thread 2021 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Brackets

All Australian
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Ok I’m putting a line through us making finals in 2021 (it will be much less painful than keeping hope alive that we will).
I hadn't until today but we'll be 3 games & percentage behind 7th position at the end of this round. The 8th team being Richmond...

I wouldn't rule GWS out but otherwise the gap between the top 8 and rest after just 9 rounds is pretty astounding.

Honestly thought we could have caused an upset over the past 2 weeks. So ******* sick of seeing our season shot before its even half completed.

Gavstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Lakers, Longhorns
Ok my prediction unless some of younger players go to the next level, with basically same team and same head coach we will be in the same position next year in terms of missing finals.

Incremental growth won’t get us there we need a huge shakeup to progress.

Gethelred

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm just going to bump this, in the light of our reserves losing by 6 goals to a winless Northern, in which they played like a club who blames us for their almost going under while we played like getting to the pub afterwards was the important part.

Gethelred

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I have a bit of a concern that the attitude that has seen Ratten, then Malthouse, then Bolton has permeated the playing list. That the players and the leadership group - all of them - have too much influence over the club, and that they can and will undermine and continue to undermine a coach they don't like or don't like anymore.

The only way to completely solve this problem is to do what Bucks did and trade/delist/retire the troublesome ones, but our list demographic is not what Collingwood's was in 2011-12; we skew a good deal younger in terms of our leaders. And I don't want us getting rid of talent before we've performed anything of note.

The only other solution is to deliberately go out and recruit someone like Lyon or Clarkson - a noted hardarse with the credentials to get their respect - to belt them around the ears and try to pivot their views entirely. Course, that could have the opposite reaction; players opt out even further, damning the new coach to an even shitter set of performances.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
I have a bit of a concern that the attitude that has seen Ratten, then Malthouse, then Bolton has permeated the playing list. That the players and the leadership group - all of them - have too much influence over the club, and that they can and will undermine and continue to undermine a coach they don't like or don't like anymore.

The only way to completely solve this problem is to do what Bucks did and trade/delist/retire the troublesome ones, but our list demographic is not what Collingwood's was in 2011-12; we skew a good deal younger in terms of our leaders. And I don't want us getting rid of talent before we've performed anything of note.

The only other solution is to deliberately go out and recruit someone like Lyon or Clarkson - a noted hardarse with the credentials to get their respect - to belt them around the ears and try to pivot their views entirely. Course, that could have the opposite reaction; players opt out even further, damning the new coach to an even shitter set of performances.
Agree we may have to recruit a hard nosed & experience coach, I’d add Scott to your recommendations too . The team is agonizing and floundering, superficially it’s seems players just have too much influence in footy matters.
I’m eager for Sayers to take the reins, direct and firm, he’ll make changes he’s a no nonsense type , not a yes man, things will happen for the better.
By the way I’d prefer Don Pyke, reckon that if we’re courageous enough to give him another shot, he could really make important changes won’t happen overnight, but hey we’ve being waiting a decade for a final appearance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gethelred

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
That windy here, would blow the feathers off a chook
There isn't really a thread for depressing speculation, so I picked this one for mine. It's been something I've been a mite concerned about for a while; it'd explain Cripps going from not performing to superman in 2019 as soon as we changed coaches, for example.

I don't know, I suppose. This could very much be one of those 'the sky is grey' things that happens after a loss, when all you'd see is a few clouds and dazzling sunlight through them after a win.

Arr0w

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
There isn't really a thread for depressing speculation, so I picked this one for mine. It's been something I've been a mite concerned about for a while; it'd explain Cripps going from not performing to superman in 2019 as soon as we changed coaches, for example.

I don't know, I suppose. This could very much be one of those 'the sky is grey' things that happens after a loss, when all you'd see is a few clouds and dazzling sunlight through them after a win.
Not having a go Geth

Although, at the moment every thread seems very doom and gloom

Changes will be made and rightful so, but the list is reasonably solid for we we should be, despite underperforming

jj1978

Norm Smith Medallist
May 11, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep a hard taskmaster, not a friend! someone that will be hired, with the President, board prior to their commencement shooting a message to all players, "no whinging, no carrying on... don't want to hear your complaints.. this new coach has 3 years to coach you into a winning team... you don't want to win then GTFO... we don't want to hear your complaints and whinging"

Remove this Banner Ad