Review Round 11 = Fremantle 75-75 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

If it makes you feel any better, you wouldn’t have kicked a goal anyway.
This one made sure he did.
Both decisions were correct btw.
Bye
It doesn't.

Both decisions were technically correct but both games were poorer for them having been made. There's no conspiracy in either of of them but there is a creeping instance of over officiating in odd random moments. If both decisions are paid every time, no one blinks an eye. But they're not, so people are justified in asking - 'why now?'.

I can see on this occasion why we were conservative with our tactics - injuries. But I would hope next time when we have an opponent shot to pieces that we kill them. That is what big boy teams do.

I thought the majority of that second half was immense. Our pressure destroyed Freo and made them look like bumbling idiots. Plenty of positives to come from the game. Definitely 2 points dropped.

All I will say on the bald headed peanuts decision, is that, that's what happens when umpires are given free reign. The umpires should have been hauled into line along time ago.

Not sure why we aren't mentioning a clearly one armed Pendles for the last quarter too. That was probably the biggest loss as he couldn't catch the ball or pick it up.

Yeah, he took a couple of what looked like panadols at the end there. May have got a injury to the bicep. Not sure what happened there. In saying that, he was out there, so he must have felt ok, plus we still had his voice. He is our coach out on the field in those situations.
All these other scenarios would not have even mattered if that ridiculous free kick wasn't paid...

FFS, we ran out of legs, 3 players on the bench and a bunch of kids.

If Checkers was in the F50 in the last quarter, we would have kicked another couple of goals. He was very good until he went off at 3/4 time. If we played Freo here at the G, and full rotations on the bench, we are winning this game by 5 to 8 goals....

We didn't stop in the last 10 minutes, we simply ran out of legs. 3 players down and a host of inexperienced players.
We clearly started kicking sideways in the backline and creating stoppages by being wrapped in the tackle with about 10 minutes to go.

Maybe we ran out of legs too, but that looked like a clear instruction.

Two things can be true at once

It was hardly time wasted ball ump wasn't delayed so what rule?
Better people than me will find the rule.
When it happened I had in the back of my mind we might have received one in our favour.
On Fox they said Gardiner and McCluggage were pinged for it, (don’t know when).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you tell me the wording of this rule?

It’s probably the same rule where umpires award a free kick if a player kicks it away from the area to waste time.

I’d noticed during game that there were stoppages where we weren’t giving the ball straight back (eg: planting the ball on the ground). I suspect the umpire was reacting to behaviour either from the team or a player in the aggregate, which umpires have always done. I’m OK with it, but it drives one eyed supporters nuts because they never see the calls both ways.

More I think about it, the more I think what a gallant effort it’s been to hold on yesterday.

For everyone thinking Cox should have been dropped, we saw why he isn’t. It screws up our structure. We lost Billy Frampton in defence and they were able to score 5 goals.

If you haven’t already, watch Flys presser.

We’re not far off Richmond level injuries now and yet we’ve still not lost since round 2.

Incredible to watch these young blokes taking their opportunities and showing us we actually have some pretty talented youngsters on our list.

Will be a massive challenge now next week.

The positive is we will get players back. They’ll be fresh and in the second half of the season. Just got to get through a few more weeks until the bye.

More I think about it, the more I think what a gallant effort it’s been to hold on yesterday.

For everyone thinking Cox should have been dropped, we saw why he isn’t. It screws up our structure. We lost Billy Frampton in defence and they were able to score 5 goals.

If you haven’t already, watch Flys presser.

We’re not far off Richmond level injuries now and yet we’ve still not lost since round 2.

Incredible to watch these young blokes taking their opportunities and showing us we actually have some pretty talented youngsters on our list.

Will be a massive challenge now next week.

The positive is we will get players back. They’ll be fresh and in the second half of the season. Just got to get through a few more weeks until the bye.
To be fair, we lost because the whole team went into save the game mode, and the nmidfeidl dropped off, Losing one man in defnece doesnt cough up 5 goals, but playing to save the game ten minutes out does, if we continued to attack we would have won easily. Our bad play , not umpires or one or two missing players , cost u sthe game.

Can we please stop complaining about the umpiring? Yes it was shit and the one against Sullivan was a nonsense power trip, but at the end of the day we gave up a 25 point lead with 6 minutes on the clock. That’s on us, not the umpires.
Some people here are sounding like Adelaide supporters did last week.

Shot ourselves in the foot with poor kicking at goal

Yep and the fact Freo kicked 7 of their goals in the space of about 15 mins. Red time in the 2nd and 4th quarters killed us, clearly our poor kicking didn't help.

Also, the surface at Optus is genuinely disgraceful for an AFL venue. Did they run out of cash and not hire a curator?

Can we please stop complaining about the umpiring? Yes it was s**t and the one against Sullivan was a nonsense power trip, but at the end of the day we gave up a 25 point lead with 6 minutes on the clock. That’s on us, not the umpires.
Some people here are sounding like Adelaide supporters did last week.

You're not wrong but if you don't think Freo were kissed on the dick in the last 10 mins then you were watching another game. Nicholls n co went into turbo mode.

To be fair, we lost because the whole team went into save the game mode, and the nmidfeidl dropped off, Losing one man in defnece doesnt cough up 5 goals, but playing to save the game ten minutes out does, if we continued to attack we would have won easily. Our bad play , not umpires or one or two missing players , cost u sthe game.
Not sure I agree here. We ran out of legs. Three 6 day breaks. Previous two games were down in numbers on the bench. We didn’t have anything left in the tank to keep attacking. Also who was our target up forward? Poor Ed Allan was our KPF because there was no one else.
Did you see the players walking off? Most of them looked badly beaten up.

You guys were robbed. Umpire Nichols obviously was annoyed at Sidebottom 3 minutes earlier so he pulled rank next chance he got:

It’s an instructive bit of footage.

From the point of view of the camera, it’s not definitive who has possession of the footy, and in the absence of seeing that Steele had possession of the footy, we don’t think Steele has done anything wrong.

But from the other side of the contest where the umpire was standing it might have looked quite different.

Certainly from the umpire’s behaviour he clearly believed it was Steele who had possession of the footy. And from the camera footage we can’t definitively see that he was wrong.

ok - I said it was 50/50. Now do the other calls and Daicos with his clear throws?
Lol, how about we trawl through the whole game and critique every dubious call / non call.

OR, we can demonise the complete nonsense that gifted you the game on a platter.

Jog on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back