Review Round 11 = Fremantle 75-75 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s an instructive bit of footage.

From the point of view of the camera, it’s not definitive who has possession of the footy, and in the absence of seeing that Steele had possession of the footy, we don’t think Steele has done anything wrong.

But from the other side of the contest where the umpire was standing it might have looked quite different.

Certainly from the umpire’s behaviour he clearly believed it was Steele who had possession of the footy. And from the camera footage we can’t definitively see that he was wrong.

Spot on assessment.

Umpires aside, it was 10.15, we had multiple opportunities to put them away but didn’t.

It was also clear the last thing Schultz wanted to do was kick a goal against his old side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been the story of his season. He's had so many almost moments. However, we're now 11 games into the season. With the sudden emergence of HH and Richo, the impending returns of JDG and Billy, Shoota needs to become more than an almost player. Otherwise he'll be familiarising himself with some VFL venues.

Effectively 1 loss in the past 8 games, so I'm happy from that perspective.
Icing the games can be frustrating. But it's gotten us a flag and preliminary final the last 2 years so we have to trust the process
Checkers going down really hurt our structure, just like last week with reef and whe, plus add in the inexperienced line up. We are doing okay. Injury list is mostly short term and could be only McStay out of a full strength team after the bye.

This. We can't praise them on one hand and then hang shit on the other.

The reality is it was our poor conversion, questionable umpiring and some out your backside goals from Freo that dragged it back to a tied game. We were out on our legs. But like most, when Bobby put us 25 up, i thought we were home.

Even Ch 7 commentators are saying they've never seen a free kick awarded for not handing ball directly back to umpire.
If it was deemed time wasting, that was incorrect too, because apparently time off had been blown by the grandiose little twat.

My first thought. How is it time wasting when the clock had stopped? It would've taken Sully more time to turn around and locate the green maggot then what he actually did. Farcical.

The second one (assuming you mean the HTB) was the old "if you don't have prior and try and get rid of it, but don't dispose of it correctly, it's play on" no? Looked stiff to me.
I thought it was rubbish, but the umpire called it that he fended and that was his prior.

Can we please stop complaining about the umpiring? Yes it was s**t and the one against Sullivan was a nonsense power trip, but at the end of the day we gave up a 25 point lead with 6 minutes on the clock. That’s on us, not the umpires.
Some people here are sounding like Adelaide supporters did last week.
Can't we complain about both? 😃

I’ll balance this with the glass half empty s**t percentage line. Not too many games where we can run a score up left in our fixture either, so we’ll have to do it on win/loss.

The reality is we'll be playing a number of games in the back half of the year against fellow Top 4 challengers. % will mean fcuk all if we keep winning.

Except I’m pretty sure that’s not a rule

How can it be time wasting if time off was called?
I thought it was a ridiculous call, but it can be time wasting if the clock is stopped. Most time wasting is about giving players time to set up.

I know he's inexperienced, I know we all love him, but Sullivan giving away those two free kicks in the last couple of minutes ended up costing us the win.

Rubbish

You can’t hang it on Sullivan.

What about Schultz missing an easy goal in the final quarter? Or Mihocek missing his set shots? Or Josh Daicos missing a goal on the run directly in front? Or Nick missing his shots, multiple times. Or Bobby giving away a 50? Or …? Or …? Or …?

The result was a team effort. As it is every week.

Last edited:
Swings and roundabouts.

Many opposition fans think we’ve had a good run with the umpires over the last few seasons.

Many Pies fans think we’ve been shafted.

Iffy decisions near goal in the dying minutes of a tight game are always amplified - as right or wrong.

Plenty are still p’d off about Pendles long kick to OOB in the dying minutes of the Carlton game.

I’m not.👏

It was a disappointing result in the end, but with so many young players in the side, and coming off two 6 day breaks, we just ran out of legs in the last quarter.

I know Frampton was rucking because Cox was off, but he should just be left in the back line where he does his best work and get someone else to ruck. If Tyler Brown can ruck, surely we have others who can.

HH should now be one of the first picked each week, because he was our best player, along with Joe Richards.
When most of our players were fumbly, Harvey handled the ball cleanly and got into dangerous spots.

Ed Allan didn't do much, but he seemed to be playing the WHE role, which probably makes him invisible.
He'll be better for the exposure to AFL level intensity.

I thought Wil Parker did well when he came on - he seems composed and doesn't panic.

Lachie Sullivan had a good game against a pretty strong midfield.

Taking a glass half full position, we still haven't lost since round 2.

Go Pies!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He needs a spell regardless. He's so far out of form it's not funny.

I'm not his biggest advocate but did somebody say Kruuuuuggggeeesssss?
it will be him or Ash as there i s noone left unless we Draft a ready made KPF next wednesday! ( and a ruckman)
Not sure I agree here. We ran out of legs. Three 6 day breaks. Previous two games were down in numbers on the bench. We didn’t have anything left in the tank to keep attacking. Also who was our target up forward? Poor Ed Allan was our KPF because there was no one else.
Did you see the players walking off? Most of them looked badly beaten up.
True they were tired, but so were Freo, just another 2-3 minutes of midfield cracking in would have won the game, Nicholls aside. As fro target up forward , there are 6 players there, so chaos ball etc into forward line would burn time, and panic their defenders with th elikes of HH Bobby and Richards there..

It was not a choke. Some people seem to think the opposition have no right to come back when they are behind. Our young boys were out on their feet and some of those final plays were decided by a matter of centimetres with attempted smothers and contests for the pill. We maintained our desperation till the end, and they got a big wave of momentum which happens all the time in footy. Look at the way we've come back and won when five or six goals down early in games. Did the opposition choke or did we play our way back into the games?

The 6-6-6 rule also makes it really hard to defend a 3-4 goal lead with time left in the last quarter. You can chip the ball around in general play but you can't park the bus at centre bounces like the old days.

Regardless, we've escaped these situations with narrow wins on so many occasions in the past 2 years, we were due to lose one, or at worst escape with a draw.

18.13 OTHER (d) Time wasting.

That is what is was paid for. Ridiculous decision.

There is no rule that states the umpire is to be directly handed the ball.
serious?. time off is called anyway and would have been a grand total of 5 seconds from the time Sullivan handed the ball to Nick to the cheat receiving it., actually probably closer to 2 seconds.

I'd be ok with it if we didn't with 1:04 when Switkowski dropped the knees, threw the head back and Quaynor got pinged for a perfectly legitimate tackle.
yes after that we were lucky to draw as the Freo player then missed a fairly easy shot to tie the game.

serious?. time off is called anyway and would have been a grand total of 5 seconds from the time Sullivan handed the ball to Nick to the cheat receiving it., actually probably closer to 2 seconds.

It’s easy to see why the punters get frustrated with this given the inordinately long time that it takes the ARC to do a review. It wastes far more time for Big Brother to say the words “Result on the scoreboard” followed by some pithy graphic, compared with what Sullivan caused.

Last edited:
Rubbish. The ump chose to play a free kick that is never paid.
Rubbish it has been paid before, true it was petulant from the umpire and he will be certainly lectured about it via the AFL, but in the end it didnt cost us the game, Maynard coughed up probably two goals in that same period... As Fly said immensely proud of team as the effort was there and with so many key outs we did well.

Last edited:
If you can get everyone on the park it looks like you will play Prelims at least. The ongoing close game record shouldn't last, but you guys are so well drilled and clean that maybe it will. Loved McCrae's post game presser.

Some thoughts on free kicks, and I hope this isn't received with anger,, here goes. The free at the end of the first quarter when your defender initiated contact 90m off the ball, and you got a kick from 40ish out that results in a goal...

Daicos with at least 3 centre clearances that were clear throws, bad enough that even the vic commentators mentioned it. Two of those became scores. Everyone misses some of the handball/throws that are all the rage now. His were open side to the ump 25m away and obvious, and nothing, except another centre clearance. Brilliant player though. Love watching him when we aren't your opponents. He and his brother will dominante for another ten years. Lucky bastards!

Josh Daicos, not paid deliberate when he could have kicked anywhere on the ground but Serong paid deliberate for a volley out of the air...

All of this and we were the younger, less experienced team and you could still have won if Crisp kicked a sitter in the forward pocket in the first. N Daicos missed 2 sitters, by his standards goals that I expect someone of his class to kick with his eyes closed. And there was the Mihoceck (brilliant tonight - hope he comes good quick) miss of Hill running into open goal and another player hitting the post running from 35-40m out that you guys normally nail. And Lachie had more time than he thought and missed from 15m out.

I thought the incident in the last quarter (one of five goals by us that quarter, and we still needed to score again twice), was a 50/50 call. It looked to me like he looked at the ump, the ump was motioning for the ball and he threw to Daicos. I am surprised a call like that went our way, and think he knew what he was doing. Only because you guys are so thoroughly coached and professional about every advantage you can get. I don't know conclusively if he was wasting time, I also don't think anyone here does either.

Anyway, hope the injuries sort themselves out and don't impact September too much. That sucks for any team and especially one in the window. Good luck next week!

With the eyes in the back of his head?

I went and watched that three times, and as I did live, when I watched it the first time I thought it was high. The next two I am not sure it happens so fast. The tackle definitely ends up in the right area.

Now I have addressed that will you discuss the throws or the Daicos deliberate or the Amiss one?

Amiss one where he grabbed Dean around the neck? Yet you're sooking about a 'throw' that happens 30 times in every game. Ok, champion.

Slow it down and look again, he looks over his shoulder, anyway I said it was 50/50 and was surpised we got the call.

The Quaynor one was clearly there. More so than the Jackson one in the ruck.

No one saying anything about the one paid against Amiss that gifted a goal in the first? Goal for a goal on howler decisions.

Daicos not being paid deliberate when we were pressing also went your way.

You mean his pass to Hill on the wing? Give it up son, you're embarrassing yourself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back