The coalitions economic management

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont have any technical competence so my guiding ovetview is technology does not sat still.
IF it did not evolve as rapidly as it does, a Rolls Royce 2008 version would have been the only way home.
I understand you need a political imperative but as usual the only loser is the taxpayer purse.

The tech wasn't facing the redundancies you expect. The cable will be usable for many upgrades of tech. It's the things that send the data down the pipe (so to speak) that will be upgraded over time, and this isnt as tough a task as building a fibre network.

The tech wasn't facing the redundancies you expect. The cable will be usable for many upgrades of tech. It's the things that send the data down the pipe (so to speak) that will be upgraded over time, and this isnt as tough a task as building a fibre network.
The limitations of what we've got are indeed the question.

The limitations of what we've got are indeed the question.

This mentality would still have us in covered wagons in case cars get superceded.

Likewise why develop battery technology when something will one day replace it.

Your policy would make Australia a technological backwater

Reminds me of around the time Labor had proposed this (rollout was underway I think) Jones was on radio shooting it down whenever possible. At one point a study came out that suggested that in the future they’d be able to send packets of data on colour spectrum light down optical fibre, greatly expanding the bandwidth capabilities.

Jones was citing this study and saying look it’ll be all out of date!! Before someone corrected him and said it’s the same fibre we use today, just the hardware and software on the end was different……..

If people don’t understand the technical nature of communication hardware they really shouldn’t be involving themselves in a debate about it……

This mentality would still have us in covered wagons in case cars get superceded.

Indeed thats your take, wallowing in ignorance.

I have been underwhelmed by our efforts with Myki & the Covid app.
No big deal, but personally was an early adopter of RFid in business in the early 90s and still involved today, putting my money where my mouth is, regardless of the Govt of the day.

Indeed thats your take, wallowing in ignorance.

I have been underwhelmed by our efforts with Myki & the Covid app.
No big deal, but personally was an early adopter of RFid in business in the early 90s and still involved today, putting my money where my mouth is, regardless of the Govt of the day.

Your example of a tech leap forward is the covid app?

That really says everything anyone needs to know about you

No its symptomatic of where we are.

no, its evidence of your attitude to technology

one was about fixing the serious issue of our shitty adsl broadband network so that it was viable for business today

the other was an app that was rollout out with little thought or reason just to say "here's an app"

by your own admission, you dont understand the technology, so why should anyone listen to your opinions on it?

no, its evidence of your attitude to technology

one was about fixing the serious issue of our shitty adsl broadband network so that it was viable for business today

the other was an app that was rollout out with little thought or reason just to say "here's an app"

by your own admission, you dont understand the technology, so why should anyone listen to your opinions on it?
Here you go again, attributing your view to my comments in a public space & railing against them. Sad.

Here you go again, attributing your view to my comments in a public space & railing against them. Sad.

so you didnt say this " I dont have any technical competence so my guiding ovetview is technology does not sat still "

glad to see your revisionist history isnt confined just to victim shaming rape victims

What do you mean make us, do you mean endure we remain a technological backwater?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are now facing the situation where the government will have to provide further financial support to businesses as a result of the latest round of lockdowns.

The country would have been better off had we invested in proper quarantine facilities and purchased more Pfizer vaccines (in addition to manufacturing AZ) last year... so much for the 'better economic managers'.

We are now facing the situation where the government will have to provide further financial support to businesses as a result of the latest round of lockdowns.

The country would have been better off had we invested in proper quarantine facilities and purchased more Pfizer vaccines (in addition to manufacturing AZ) last year... so much for the 'better economic managers'.

"I don't hold the money mate."

Given Labor's costs kept going up while the project went nowhere Im not sure FTTH was ever realistic given they were wanting to provide it to more than 90% of the country.

Spending so much on the regions and outer cities was never going to be profitable.

that was the point of the govt seeding it, that an the so called competition Set up previously seemed reluctant to invest

get this . Unlimited gb mobile plans in the UK are now $50 pm

that was the point of the govt seeding it, that an the so called competition Set up previously seemed reluctant to invest

get this . Unlimited gb mobile plans in the UK are now $50 pm

The UK has 50 million people in the size of Victoria. None of these comparisons ever really work. But it is a sign that mobile is going to be nearly as good as fixed for nearly everyone.

The only people it wont suit are the ones who do many terabytes of data a month. And I dont think the government should ever consider them when looking at the free rollout of NBN. They should be on expensive business plans.

Windsor and Oakshott and Labor are the reason why NBN failed in this country. They took a great plan and ruined it.

How accessible & at what cost ?
For now the current capacity of 1gbs will be enough.

for how long i dont know - the point being its upgradable when we need to and when a country buys 10 million units, it gets a decent discount.

the fibre - which is the expensive part of the build is in now

The current ntd was a ridiculously overspecced box with multiple ports - one or two ports would be all thats needed for 90% of users if not more - at customer end new simplified ntds should be about $1-200 in todays cash when they are upgraded.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back