Opinion The Coleman: JACK 2 - RICHO 0, But Who's Better?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Jack is a better Full Forward, but as an all round footballer ill take richo any day of the week

The game has changed dramatically , the STARS of the game will never dominate for the periods they did in years gone by . It will become more and more uncommon to get 2-3 stellar seasons out of a players , whilst there really is no longer a Full forward they're all forwards who play multiple roles. The cho's season on the wing has probably changed football forever .
Richo was dominate for the most part of his career , Jack has been the best for two years of his career to date . The difference isn't as great when you compare the era's , Jack is a superstar make no mistake, another good season and any gap that existed will have closed IMO .

The game has changed dramatically , the STARS of the game will never dominate for the periods they did in years gone by . It will become more and more uncommon to get 2-3 stellar seasons out of a players , whilst there really is no longer a Full forward they're all forwards who play multiple roles. The cho's season on the wing has probably changed football forever .
Richo was dominate for the most part of his career , Jack has been the best for two years of his career to date . The difference isn't as great when you compare the era's , Jack is a superstar make no mistake, another good season and any gap that existed will have closed IMO .

I think the closest jack has got to Richo was 2010 when he continually took pack marks. Defenders know how to play him now. I don't see to much more upside in Jack when you think of the traditional forward. His improvent will come in the form of team play and opportunist goals.

Richo.

It actually upsets me that he didn't get a brownlow, coleman or premiership.

I think the club owes him more than he owes them.
Could almost say the one reason why we still have such a great supporter base.

I'll say something I'm not sure I agree totally with.
But I suspect JR would add more value to a side than Richo. Definitely Richo for talent, but Jack maybe adds more to the team. Different way the game is played nowadays, but Jack is doing amazingly for a guy double and triple teamed as he is. Richo had the same, but had athletescism Jack doesn't. Wait a few years and see, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them looked at as being of similar status in a few year time.

Richo was a CHF who was played out of position for most of his career at FF imo.
It wouldnt be completely false to assume that if Richo played CHF his whole career, he would be known as one of the greatest CHF's of all time. We only have to look at his season on the wing at 30ish for some proof of this.
For the FF position Richo falls behind Jack purely by kicking accuracy, but is a mile ahead at CHF.

Richoland.

At least we have the better Reiwoldt.
Just on that I have a huge amount of admiration for Nick.Hes as close to a clone to Richo as you'd ever get,the incredible tank,pace,awesome pack marking,ridiculous courage(something that's overlooked with Richo) and the hit and miss goal kicking that stopped both from becoming legends.But for creating pure panic and mayhem Nick is as close to Richo as I've seen and fantastic to watch.
A much better all round package than Jack which answers the same question in regards Richo v Jack.
When midfields were on song the look on defenders faces when Richo or Nick were gallivanting about was priceless.Unstoppable.

Richo for me - was the heart and soul of the club and was loyal to a club that couldn't match his ability. He easily could have played for a better team and won the plaudits and had the team success his ability justified but wanted to stay a tiger for life.

I don't doubt Riewoldt bleeds yellow and black as well but I'm yet to see him push himself the way Richo did. Richo would run himself into the ground for the cause - I'm yet to see the same level of fanaticism from Jack.

In saying that though, we all feared the day Richo would hang up the boots and to have a 2 time Coleman medalist take up the slack is something we should all be very thankful for.

Jack, if he plays on for another 10 years and kicks 65 goals a season should surpass Richo's tally though that is a big ask.

Just on that I have a huge amount of admiration for Nick.Hes as close to a clone to Richo as you'd ever get,the incredible tank,pace,awesome pack marking,ridiculous courage(something that's overlooked with Richo) and the hit and miss goal kicking that stopped both from becoming legends.But for creating pure panic and mayhem Nick is as close to Richo as I've seen and fantastic to watch.
A much better all round package than Jack which answers the same question in regards Richo v Jack.
When midfields were on song the look on defenders faces when Richo or Nick were gallivanting about was priceless.Unstoppable.

Nick Reiwoldt is not even in the same orbit as Richo, Cry Baby Nick is a Fluster Cuck of a player that is rewarded for shitty efforts much in the same way as Llyody was by the Umps.
Yeh The Nick may grab 1 or 2 good marks out of every ten but he burns his team mates as much as the opposition.
As i said we have the best Reiwoldt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Reiwoldt is not even in the same orbit as Richo, Cry Baby Nick is a Fluster Cuck of a player that is rewarded for shitty efforts much in the same way as Llyody was by the Umps.
Yeh The Nick may grab 1 or 2 good marks out of every ten but he burns his team mates as much as the opposition.
As i said we have the best Reiwoldt.
Can't agree at all there.

Richo is by far and away the better player, in terms of output and footballing ability.

You can bring Coleman's into the equation, but Jack's main competition for the Coleman is Buddy Franklin, and Travis Cloke to a lesser extent.

For much of his Career, Richo had to put up with Tony Modra, Tony Lockett, Wayne Carey, Jonathon Brown, Fraser Gehrig, Nick Riewoldt, Matthew Lloyd and Brendan Fevola. Richo played in an Era where most teams had a bonafide star forward.

Riewoldt plays where there is maybe 4-5 of them across the whole league. If Richo played now, he would win the Coleman almost every year, and Riewoldt were to play in Richo's shoes, wouldn't get anywhere near the Coleman.

To put it into perspective, Richo's competition for the Coleman was a lot better in terms of ability and output, than what Jack currently faces.

Richo is the better player now, but Jack is well on his way to challenging him.

It will be interesting to see if Jack can play a larger role in the forward line than simply being the FF. If he can do this, then we'll start to see some real comparisons between the two.

Riewoldt is a poor man's Richo.

If Richo was playing today, we'd be a lock for finals, and almost certainly a home elimination ... at least ;)

There will only ever be one Richo Man.

Agree. Richo was a Franklin that could actually mark.

i miss Richo man, but Riewoldt has been a good replacement :D - probably will see the best of jack this year, still very young and plenty of improvement

Imagine Richo with the unselfish, speed-efficient midfield and the coaching strategy that we have now. I'd argue that Richo would be better than Carey, let alone Jack Reiwoldt. Jack isnt fit to tie Richo's boots. Seriously. The only element that Jack has got Richo covered is accuracy.
That's rubbish IMO.

I agree Richo should be considered the better player, especially considering he has finished his career and all. Even at the same age, I agree Richo is ahead.

But there are definitely aspects of the game, especially when the ball is on the ground, where Jack excels. Jack definitely has more footy smarts, and in particular with timing and direction of leads. Whereas Richo was probably double the athlete Jack is.

Richo a much better contested mark, which is saying something, cos Jack is no slouch. Richo for the passion and effort, where Jack sometimes seems to try and pull off the fancy but easier option.

And as Bojangles17 said, Richo had a knack of beating the best opposition, Jack still needs to improve that area... sometimes I get the impression he doesn't try his hardest for fear of failure. Am confident maturity will cure that eventually.

Is it fair to say that Jack has gone past Richo in the respective stages of their careers, as Riewoldt has 2 Colemans already? I feel like committing a sin suggesting such a thing but thought it worthy of discussion. And for consideration, who would you pick for season 2013 right now if Richo was at Riewoldt's age. Forget the fact that Richo didn't play finals and don't let it influence your choice (if possible),base it solely on who you think would be better. EDIT: I ask this question because I was born in '94, it's not just for the sake of asking.

What-You-Talkin-Bout-Willis.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back