Universal Love The Drugs Are Bad Mackay? approved Australian cricketers are cheats Discussion Thread

Who will win the Ashes?

• England

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Australia

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Zimbabwe

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • The 45th President of the United States, Donald Trump

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Cricket will be the real winner

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

0155, and Khawaja out LBW for 75 to rampaging Rabada. :mad:
Tim Paine and the tail have huge (unfair) pressure on them now, after Bancroft + Warner + Smith + SMarsh = only 49 runs.
De Villers has been de difference.

The key is to bat with composure, don't hurry to get the runs. We're batting for a draw, not for the win. So bat as long and sensible as can be.

The aim really is to get 200+ or to drag on until the 3rd session of play today. This would likely force the S.A. to bat until the latter part of the 5th day, which makes it uncomfortable for them.

The key is to bat with composure, don't hurry to get the runs. We're batting for a draw, not for the win. So bat as long and sensible as can be.

The aim really is to get 200+ or to drag on until the 3rd session of play today. This would likely force the S.A. to bat until the latter part of the 5th day, which makes it uncomfortable for them.
I doubt this game will be a draw as we would need to bat all day 4... which is very unlikely.

Thing is, Carey hasn't really proven himself with the bat at FC level either.
Not sure why we've shown much displeasure with Paine. He's beeing doing alright. Carey doesn't look obviously the better batter in the Test arena. He's certainly the next in line, but no need to rush him in the Tests, especially when the other batters aren't making much runs, and not a conducive time to bring in new batsman not familiar with Tests matches.

Bancroft looks like the one in the most heat. Hasn't really fired much as an opener for us.

I doubt this game will be a draw as we would need to bat all day 4... which is very unlikely.
As a fan, I think we're all predicting a gloomy result in this Test match. I was more talking like I was the coach and what I would be telliing them to focus on. Bat for as long as possible! Blocks and leaves are our friend. Runs are a secondary bonus!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No chance of this ending in a draw, unless Day 5 is a complete wash out. Australia needs to make as many runs as possible, then hope that they can bowl SA out before they get the runs required. If we don't bowl them out then the Saffies will win, because we won't have enough runs or time to force a draw.

0155, and Khawaja out LBW for 75 to rampaging Rabada. :mad:
Tim Paine and the tail have huge (unfair) pressure on them now, after Bancroft + Warner + Smith + SMarsh = only 49 runs.
De Villers has been de difference.

There is another difference and that is they bowled much better. Constantly at the batsmen with very little loose deliveries.

As a fan, I think we're all predicting a gloomy result in this Test match. I was more talking like I was the coach and what I would be telliing them to focus on. Bat for as long as possible! Blocks and leaves are our friend. Runs are a secondary bonus!
I agree we need to leave the ball better. E.g. S Marsh got out soon after the break with a ball he should have left. There is no rush with 2 days left.

However, we won't be drawing this game, so it is important we do not go ultra defensive, as we also need runs to set them a decent target.

There is another difference and that is they bowled much better. Constantly at the batsmen with very little loose deliveries.
In the middle session of Day 2, SA put on 43 runs in 26 overs, precisely because the Aussie bowlers were " ... constantly at the batsmen with very little loose deliveries". The Aussies took five wickets in the final session, for the same reason, and bowled very well on Day 2.
De Villiers' 126 was crucial for SA, putting on 142 precious runs with Philander (36, Test avge. 24.6 --- very handy) and Maharaj (30, Test avge. 18). So, it's not just de Villiers' runs but also the partnerships' runs that swelled the SA total, and full credit to them. I didn't see how the Aussies bowled in the first session, Day 3, so maybe you're right --- for that session.
Take away de Villiers' runs, or even half of them, and/or the partnerships' runs as well, and Oz would be right in it.
We're not.

they should but he plays for the redbacks so i doubt it :rolleyes:

has he ever opened before?
Head isn't a Test opener.

Renshaw is the one we should be flying over. Pity he found form so late in the season.

Head isn't a Test opener.

Renshaw is the one we should be flying over. Pity he found form so late in the season.

i agree, doesn't matter that he found from late in the season, he could be on the next plane ready for the third test

No chance of this ending in a draw, unless Day 5 is a complete wash out. Australia needs to make as many runs as possible, then hope that they can bowl SA out before they get the runs required. If we don't bowl them out then the Saffies will win, because we won't have enough runs or time to force a draw.
I was thinking strategically, we're best to drag the game on as long as we can. Runs will come with some loose deliveries. I'd rather to see we bat it out till the last session at run rate of 2, then see as go hell for leather with quick runs. We aren't going to win no matter how much runs we get. But we can draw if we bat for as long as we can.

In the middle session of Day 2, SA put on 43 runs in 26 overs, precisely because the Aussie bowlers were " ... constantly at the batsmen with very little loose deliveries". The Aussies took five wickets in the final session, for the same reason, and bowled very well on Day 2.
De Villiers' 126 was crucial for SA, putting on 142 precious runs with Philander (36, Test avge. 24.6 --- very handy) and Maharaj (30, Test avge. 18). So, it's not just de Villiers' runs but also the partnerships' runs that swelled the SA total, and full credit to them. I didn't see how the Aussies bowled in the first session, Day 3, so maybe you're right --- for that session.
Take away de Villiers' runs, or even half of them, and/or the partnerships' runs as well, and Oz would be right in it.
We're not.

That was one session, but what I saw last evening was not letting the Aussies get anywhere near playing on the front foot.

I was thinking strategically, we're best to drag the game on as long as we can. Runs will come with some loose deliveries. I'd rather to see we bat it out till the last session at run rate of 2, then see as go hell for leather with quick runs. We aren't going to win no matter how much runs we get. But we can draw if we bat for as long as we can.
We should definitely be aiming to draw it out as possible, but with 2 days to go, and a lead of just 41 with 5 wickets in hand, there's no way this game goes to the end of the 5th day. It will be decided, one way or the other, long before then.

If we somehow get out of this, MMarsh will have played himself into folklore. Can't see us getting a result without him batting most of today.

That was one session, but what I saw last evening was not letting the Aussies get anywhere near playing on the front foot.
That's good bowling.
Didn't watch it, just saw a few dismissal replays.
Warner copped a Rabada good'un through bat and pad, bowled neck and crop. Smith's woes against Southpaw spin continue.

Similarly, Starc bowled an inswinging, leg-cutting jaffa which nailed Amla's off stump, and Lyon bowled de Kock with a pearler. Both teams' bowling is very, very good, but de Villiers is the standout.

Back