The first AFL game to be played in snow this Friday night?

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't it have to be 0 degrees or lower for snow.
Well if the game starts at two degrees then it could go below zero within the course of two and a half hours. Someone else in this thread seems to think it'll be -5 during the game.

Is the forecast for possible snow or precipitation at the time? Often gets below freezing in Canberra, but usually with high pressure and clear skies.

Doesn't it have to be 0 degrees or lower for snow.

Not necessarily. Sometimes the freezing layer is low enough snow may still reach the ground if the air temp is slightly higher, but it would usually melt soon after.

Is the forecast for possible snow or precipitation at the time? Often gets below freezing in Canberra, but usually with high pressure and clear skies.

Not necessarily. Sometimes the freezing layer is low enough snow may still reach the ground if the air temp is slightly higher, but it would usually melt soon after.

Yes some snow is predicted for NSW - not sure where but Blue Mountains and Orange were mentioned

Seems like the OP reading about low temperatures and equating it with snow. I lived there for 5 years and don't recall snow at all.

Minus five is like a standard winter night there. 3 at the bounce is nothing. It might get a bit frosty, but the likelihood of genuine snow is probably about as likely as Freo winning the flag this year.

Still, grim spectator conditions.

Last edited:
There is a slim chance snow will fall from the Canberra skies this Friday night when the Giants host Hawthorn at Manuka Oval. They are predicting a temperature of 3 degrees at the time of the first bounce.

Will this be the first time a VFL/AFL game has been played in snowy conditions?

Too bad Melbourne fc ain’t playing in Canberra thier fans would pack out Manaka

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like the OP reading about low temperatures and equating it with snow. I lived there for 5 years and don't recall snow at all.

Minus five is like a standard winter night there. 3 at the bounce is nothing. It might get a bit frosty, but the likelihood of genuine snow is probably about as likely as Freo winning the flag this year.

I saw this on reddit. OP may have too.

w2qszdbfwqe31.png

What would happen if it did snow and a player got injured because of it?
Fast recovery due to immediate icing of the injury.
AFL mandates all future games to be played in the snow to reduce injury downtime.
AFL moves 2020 fixture to Canada as part of the expansion of the game and to move it as far away as possible from people who actually like the game.

Snow forecast for parts of Canberra later this week

The Raiders played in the snow just after I moved to Canberra. It was amazing to see. I imagine it would affect AFL more than NRL due to the constant turning and ball skills.

Could make the game a toss up. Does snow = rain in effect?
It would eventually be, if there’s any snow I doubt it’ll be much, will melt rather quickly if it’s getting trampled on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back