The first AFL game to be played in snow this Friday night?

Remove this Banner Ad

We didn't get the white oval some of us were hoping for but it was still historic. Given the positive reaction tonight I wouldn't be surprised to see the AFL schedule another night game in Canberra around this time next year in hopes of more snow.

yzqcEcR.jpg

Minus five is like a standard winter night there. 3 at the bounce is nothing. It might get a bit frosty, but the likelihood of genuine snow is probably about as likely as Freo winning the flag this year.

Still, grim spectator conditions.

Lol. Even if it didn't settle in any quantity, get on Freo!

Seems like the OP reading about low temperatures and equating it with snow. I lived there for 5 years and don't recall snow at all.

Minus five is like a standard winter night there. 3 at the bounce is nothing. It might get a bit frosty, but the likelihood of genuine snow is probably about as likely as Freo winning the flag this year.

Still, grim spectator conditions.
It’s in the bag now freo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3-4 times in 119 years and just happens to snow last night? What are the chances hey? :smirk:

Its gotta be more, have witnessed probably three times myself, more prominent in the far Southern Suburbs and i have seen a photo of snow hub cap height in Antill St Downer from the 1970's, which for those who dont know is pretty much in the city.

*edit ... Just had a look at trove newspapers and it must be 30-60 times over the years, maybe more.

Its gotta be more, have witnessed probably three times myself, more prominent in the far Southern Suburbs and i have seen a photo of snow hub cap height in Antill St Downer from the 1970's, which for those who dont know is pretty much in the city.

*edit ... Just had a look at trove newspapers and it must be 30-60 times over the years, maybe more.

Of course it’s more, to think it’s only snowed in Canberra a couple of times in 120 years is ridiculous. I reckon it’s snowed in Melbourne more than a couple of times in that period.

Of course it’s more, to think it’s only snowed in Canberra a couple of times in 120 years is ridiculous. I reckon it’s snowed in Melbourne more than a couple of times in that period.

yep

Its even snowed down around the ranges at Albany WA a few times since i have been over here.

Yeah that was ridiculous. Why would the ice cream vendor even show up in those temperatures? But why would people buy!? Crazy.

As for the OP, you are a nut. Well played Sir.
Well, the ice cream can didn't need to to pay for electricity to keep the ice creams frozen. As for buying them why not.
As an aside, I haven't see snow settle on the hills this low in the 14 years I've been here. Really odd one. In fact, I've not seen it settle on the hills like this before. It has settled before apparently, but not visibly from a long distance. It probably has, and I just haven't been in a location to see it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back