Health The fitness and exercise thread (crossfit allowed)

Remove this Banner Ad

I carry a jar of almonds around with me for snacks and usually an apple too. Today I skipped breakfast and had an apple for lunch, I'm still not really that hungry tbh, I think the body kind of gets used to it a bit.

The above is not sustainable I think but working for now.
Hunger isn't linear - sometimes the hunger pangs last for 15-20 minutes then subside.
Hydration also plays a part.

Hunger isn't linear - sometimes the hunger pangs last for 15-20 minutes then subside.

Yeah drinking water or green tea can help hunger that's for sure. Also I think you get used to the feeling of being hungry, when I was a fat campaigner during COVID the minute I felt hungry I was eating, sometimes I wasn't even hungry, shocking habit.

I knew i was being really poor with hydration (which i think was really impacting my sleep quality too).

Got a 2 liter bottle and make sure i drink the whole thing everyday now, improvements in the 2 weeks ive been doing it are enormous.

I also go the other way on the food thing. Sometimes its good to eat purely as an exercise in keeping your body fuelled and screen or whatever to distract you from eating something very nutritious (but not necessarily delicious) can be really helpful.

After a tough session this morning they randomly made us go for a fun, * me I was cooked. Got accused off stopping off at Mackers on the way back (I was not first)
is this one of those subscription-based class gyms (CrossFit, F45 etc)?

I have one round the corner from me and made the mistake of thinking it would be convenient. It was like I’d just hired a stalker - every few days I’d get a text message

"bro, didn't see you at the gym this morning - everything okay?"
"bro looks like you are three sessions away from warrior status this month - let's smash them out so you go in the draw for the steak knives"
"bro we are doing a 10k beach run and BBQ 5am this Saturday, hope to see you there"
"bro you didn't make the beach run - everything okay?"

I understand some people might like that sense of community and accountability, but after a couple of months I was desperate to go back to my old gym where they'd just take my money and leave me alone

I have one round the corner from me and made the mistake of thinking it would be convenient. It was like I’d just hired a stalker - every few days I’d get a text message

"bro looks like you are three sessions away from warrior status this month - let's smash them out so you go in the draw for the steak knives"
"bro we are doing a 10k beach run and BBQ 5am this Saturday, hope to see you there"

I understand some people might like that sense of community and accountability, but after a couple of months I was desperate to go back to my old gym where they'd just take my money and leave me alone
I can see the appeal for some people in having that and i suppose with what they usually charge id expect more in terms of that accountability and follow up but otherwise i completely agree, dont hound me and dont ask me to do group fitness stuff.

It's a boxing gym, it's subscription but I don't hear anything from them. Most boxing gyms probably couldn't be ****ed setting up automatic SMSs and all that s**t, they're usually pretty old school.

Plus I pay 25 a week, I think the F45 around the corner is probably double that. Actually I just checked it's $59 a week, * that.

I can see the appeal for some people in having that and i suppose with what they usually charge id expect more in terms of that accountability and follow up but otherwise i completely agree, dont hound me and dont ask me to do group fitness stuff.
the better half needs that group setup and accountability to go, and they go a lot so they get their value out of it

they're competitive so having people to compete against in the session is what gets them going

I just want to be left alone to sweat with my own thoughts so I don't do that, just go to a normal gym by myself and work out at my own pace

98.1 this morning post gym, still going. It's funny, a lot of people are commenting on my weight loss, I'm not sure if I enjoy it tbh, makes me a bit self conscious, anyone else agree?
I'll let you know if the scales start moving and people start commenting

Just ticked over three full weeks back at the gym.

Scales haven't moved but I'm feeling better for it.

The walking I'd been doing was a good start but it wasn't enough by itself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just ticked over three full weeks back at the gym.

Scales haven't moved but I'm feeling better for it.

The walking I'd been doing was a good start but it wasn't enough by itself

Keep plugging away, Gral. It'll come.

Speaking of walking/cardio, I've taken mine out of the gym and done some trail walking/ intermittent running outdoors. I've seen some dividends coming through e.g. I used to do a ratio of 1 minute run for every 4-5 minutes walking, now its almost reversed, that is that I am running more than I am walking and I am not feeling as out of breath. One other reason I like doing it is that every step of trail running I am forced to make minute details and it forces me to think, it enriches me mentally as well as physically.

Keep plugging away, Gral. It'll come.

Speaking of walking/cardio, I've taken mine out of the gym and done some trail walking/ intermittent running outdoors. I've seen some dividends coming through e.g. I used to do a ratio of 1 minute run for every 4-5 minutes walking, now its almost reversed, that is that I am running more than I am walking and I am not feeling as out of breath. One other reason I like doing it is that every step of trail running I am forced to make minute details and it forces me to think, it enriches me mentally as well as physically.
I much prefer real world cardio but weather has been completely s**t and that's made a lot of trails a no go recently.

I'm actually not worried about the scales as long as I'm feeling better within reason.

And really it's as much about what weight and where.

My current weight isn't healthy with my current body composition. I expect at some point to drop kgs but I don't have a goal weight

I've dropped 2 kilos in three weeks
I'm not as heavy as most in here but do get the thin but bloated look

All ive done is cut the calories to under 2000 and eaten within an 8 hr window which is 9am to 5pm

Looking to get about another 5 off and see if the bloat look goes away

TBH I am bricking myself when I will step on the scales on Monday. I feel like I have gained some weight, looking at my vitals/metrics.

That said, if it's after Christmas/New Years, its understandable.

Also I have gone back to making my own food. Yesterday I made some onion,cabbage, mushrooms and eggs in a pan, and a nice salad.

As the old adage goes: You can't over-train a bad diet.

Last edited:
So I’m coming up on 9 months since rupturing my Achilles.

I managed to stay in good shape (especially early on when exercise was limited) but have only really been able to start running pretty recently.

Managed 3kms running without too much pain over this weekend and because I’ve been running a bit in recent weeks I’m back down under 100kgs too (I’m fairly lean and weight loss wasn’t really part of it for me but is good regardless).

I've had a break from CrossFit over the school holidays to get over a couple of niggles. Don't really feel like I've lost much though as I've been doing some pretty heavy gardening and yard work over the holidays. Actually gone to bed some nights completely stonkeref.

TBH I am bricking myself when I will step on the scales on Monday. I feel like I have gained some weight, looking at my vitals/metrics.

That said, if it's after Christmas/New Years, its understandable.

Also I have gone back to making my own food. Yesterday I made some onion,cabbage, mushrooms and eggs in a pan, and a nice salad.

As the old adage goes: You can't over-train a bad diet.

Well I got the gumption and stood on the scales today. Yesterday I wasn't feeling to good so I gave it a miss. And as I suspected I did gain some weight. I was at about 102-103.5 before all the festivities, cheer and merriment and today it was 109.5-110.5. Thing is, it is 100% all my doing/fault and I intend to fix that. Thankfully I am able to nip it in the bud and face the music/truth now in the beginning of Jan than be in denial. The caveat is; breaking in steadily.

Tore my meniscus in mid December, after doing almost one year previous. Have been feeling like a slob sitting around doing nothing, should be right to go back towards the end of Jan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back