TV The Front Bar (Thurs Ed) 2018

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 5, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fremantle, WA, Associates
Terrific show in spite of Maher who really offers nothing and has no chemistry with the other two.

When Santo Cilauro is on it shifts up a few years and would be brilliant with him permanently as host. Don’t think Santo would be interested
I like the idea of Santo hosting the show but if the producers thought it was a great idea, it would have come to fruition now. Maybe Santo's too busy as well.
Then it would just be Santo, Sam and Ed without Ed.

tbh I wouldn't mind seeing them do the footy when the soccer isn't on, but I think given how Seven treated them when Sports Fever was on...

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Contrary to popular belief, I think Maher is perfect for this show. I don't like him normally and he has struggled to find a place the last decade or so, but he balances out Pang, Molloy and the guest brilliantly.
My 87yr old mum loves Andy, says he reminds her of a grandpa struggling to keep his grandkids under control....:D

ep2018

Bigfooty Pessimist
Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I've been putting off this show this year due to Maher being on it. Its actually not that bad.

imadodgyumpire

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Francesca Cumani was on last night, and they were showing footage of her on another broadcast in the mounting yard commentating on a horse that had its dong hanging out for all to see. When they cut back to her at the bar they asked if it was common, or something like that? She responded saying that was used to that. I couldn't tell if she was being literal or expressing a metaphor...

wagstaff

Premiership Player
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
First couple of 2019 eps underline how important it is to get the right type of main guest that suits the style of the show

Malthouse seemed to be treating the questions as if he was 'On The Couch' and an awkward fit for the show and Scarlett offered virtually nothing; even when the hosts prompted him on some funny anecdotes he struggled.

They do a pretty good job of covering for a weak guest but it's a lot more enjoyable when they have a guest who is on their wavelength (e.g. Jimmy Jess).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong_Sicko

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
and Scarlett offered virtually nothing; even when the hosts prompted him on some funny anecdotes he struggled...
Scarlo has always been 'Captain Serious'. There's no way he'd be a good fit at the Front Bar. Jimmy Bartel similarly failed when they tried him on the Thursday night Footy Show. Too damn serious. James Kelly was probably the most jovial of our Team SuperMegaAwesome 2007-11 if they needed someone from that era.

Topkent

Premium Platinum
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Scarlo has always been 'Captain Serious'. There's no way he'd be a good fit at the Front Bar. Jimmy Bartel similarly failed when they tried him on the Thursday night Footy Show. Too damn serious. James Kelly was probably the most jovial of our Team SuperMegaAwesome 2007-11 if they needed someone from that era.
I reckon a couple beers deep Stevie J could tell some stories

Topkent

Premium Platinum
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I reckon of all the current players Roughy will be a pissa when he's done playing.

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers
Contrary to popular belief, I think Maher is perfect for this show. I don't like him normally and he has struggled to find a place the last decade or so, but he balances out Pang, Molloy and the guest brilliantly.
Maher seems to have eased up on that horrible forced laugh after every joke. It was like having a one man laugh track. It makes him a lot more palatable and as a result the show more enjoyable.

Topkent

Premium Platinum
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Maher seems to have eased up on that horrible forced laugh after every joke. It was like having a one man laugh track. It makes him a lot more palatable and as a result the show more enjoyable.
I think his best quality is he's non threatening, doesn't make it about him an let's the others take the piss out of him completely.

I don't particularly like him but that's the hosts job.

wagstaff

Premiership Player
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
I reckon TFB producers went on a hunch that even though he was well known as being a reluctant media performer, the relaxed style of the show would bring out the best in him. But it was not to be.

giggler99

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory, Napoli, Liverpool, Pens
This is absolutely brilliant television with Ross Glendening and Kevin Morris!

Great show tonight btw too!

Brad-clare

All Australian
Feb 18, 2003
Ceduna
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
North Adelaide and Richmo
I really enjoy the Front Bar, doesn’t go on and on for hours, easy watching.

teknodeejay

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Arsenal
Tuned in for the first time ever to this show, and I like it a lot. The Glendinning segments were a ripper.

wagstaff

Premiership Player
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
Yep, definitely this week's was the best show of the year, helped by a guest in Glendenning that was more in tune with the show's humour than previous guests.

But the real secret of the shop's success is the great old footage they get and how they use it; how on earth did they know and find the footage of them discussing who was BOG when it had never been seen publicly?

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
When Sam is absent for a couple of episodes the quality of the show will drop.

Top Bottom